Home U.S. Coin Forum

Well Isn't That Special!

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has offered this service for quite some time now and its available on First Strike™ qualified bullion coins and Presidential Dollars. Its a bit pricey for the Presidential Dollars but also makes it possible to have "First Day of Issue" rolls available for future submissions.

Both First Strike™ and First Day of Issue are "time" related programs where First Strike™ applies to coins "delivered" within 30 days of release and First Day of Issue applies to coins either submitted on the release date or from a sealed box of 1,000 which has a "Do Not Break Seal Until release date seal.

I don't know about the Silver Eagle costs but the Presidential Dollars program is as follows unless its changed since the last time I checked:

1. Must be submitted in $1,000 boxes which are sealed with the "Do Not Break Seal Until release date seal. These still exist at some banks.
    2. If the seal on the box is a Do Not Open before the release date, then they qualify for Forst Day of Issue.
    3. Charge is $15 per "20 coin" roll! NOTE: Twenty coin roll! In other words, a 40 roll box turns into 50 rolls at $15 per pop.

What are the benefits?

Certain First Day of Issue error's bring Moon Money! If there are any edge error's (which you obviously cannot see because you cannot open the box or the rolls) then the clear plastic tube will show them to you thereby enabling you to get that FDI Error coin on a later bulk or Error submission.

For the Silver Eagles, these are sold in Mint sealed boxes of 500 affectionately referred to as "green monster boxes". Each box also contains a US Mint inspectors audit sheet which has a date stamp on it. If the date stamp is within the first 30 days of release then the box qualifies for First Strike™. BTW, collectors club members can submit Silver Eagles for First Strike™ whereas First Day of Issue dollars can only be submitted by "Authorized PCGS Dealers" as a Bulk Submission so, each SAE roll has the potential of producing an MS70 First Strike™ coin or coins.

Sure its a crap shoot but the rolls do sell and I don;t have a problem with PCGS certifying rolls. After all, they're only certifying then as "First Strike™" or "First Day of Issue" and not giving them a specific "grade".
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing..... simply amazing. Cheers, RickO
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Presto! Bullion becomes high priced collectible widget!
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Note the source of the image...
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Note the source of the image... >>

Blue Moon Coins. How appropriate. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Presto! Bullion becomes high priced collectible widget! >>

First Strike™ SAE's have always been High Priced Collectible "widgets".
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Presto! Bullion becomes high priced collectible widget! >>

First Strike™ SAE's have always been High Priced Collectible "widgets". >>

As Ricko said:

Amazing. Simply Amazing.
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Rather have this kind...

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Now we can place price digits on the widgets.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I heard rumors that Bear has an original First Strike sealed roll of 1878-CC Trade dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file