Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade thoughts on this Buffalo Nickle-Grade up in last post

JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
The more I look at this coin, I dont agree with the grade
Its in PCGS
whats your wag ? comment.....

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
  • rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Wow, beautiful coin! Looks like an MS67+ for sure.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that due to the flatness of the hair above the braids on the obverse and lack of detail on the buffalo's shoulder and head would have PCGS grading this 65. Beautiful Buffalo.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin and nice color but just a tad weak on the detail. I would grade this piece a solid 65image Beautiful coin!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'am with the 65 crowd nice Buff. image

Hoard the keys.
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    And by the way, a fantastic photo too.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks as if there is slight rub on the high points- it is an exceptionally attractive coin regardless of the grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And by the way, a fantastic photo too. >>

• JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cant take credit for the photo........
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • How can that be a 67 with a weak strike? Come on !
  • I'm also in the 65 crowd. Maybe the strike is what prevented it from climbing any higher?

Edit for spelling error.
  • Yea I agree with the 65 crowd. It appears because of the weak strike. It is very pretty though!!.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin and Fantastic Pictures. I'm with the crowd at 65 on this one due to the strike. It's sure pretty.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    AU58
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luster break on the hump with a market grade of 62? Very pretty regardless
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Looks like some light friction on the reverse to me - leg, hind quarter, and behind the horn.
    I am in 58 crowd - really pretty coin though. Quite a diversion of opinion it looks like.
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say that due to the flatness of the hair above the braids on the obverse and lack of detail on the buffalo's shoulder and head would have PCGS grading this 65. Beautiful Buffalo. >>

My thoughts exactly.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • capecape Posts: 1,621
    I feel they market graded the coin a 63 for its appeal. technically the coin has wear on its high points and should have no better grade than a au58image
    ed rodrigues
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to respect Shamika's grade here but I don't really see how WITH THIS PICTURE you can tell it is AU. There really isn't any flatness on the Buff's hind leg. Now if you could see it person and watch the luster flow maybe then.

To me it's a very nice piece and again depending on the luster 63-65. If the luster is dull it could be on the lower end...???

jom
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Genuine. They don't like the color. Everytime I have sent one in with those colors it has been body bagged.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS MS 64, and frankly , I was kinda leaning towards wear and the 58 crowd> interesting
    wide ranging grade toughts from everyone....thx
    BTW, I adore this coin regardless, an its a keeper for eye appeal alone,....got
    it on BST from a member image

JJM
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to respect Shamika's grade here but I don't really see how WITH THIS PICTURE you can tell it is AU. There really isn't any flatness on the Buff's hind leg. Now if you could see it person and watch the luster flow maybe then.

To me it's a very nice piece and again depending on the luster 63-65. If the luster is dull it could be on the lower end...???

jom >>

Outstanding as usual Jom! image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Agree with fcloud. Genuine. PCGS is not taking chances with toning anymore. A year ago, this would have made the cut.

Looking froward to seeing the reveal.

*edit* (duh, missed the posted grade and dead wrong)
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file