Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm afraid to get hooked on something new, are you?

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know commemoratives much. I have a few I like but I'm not ready to jump in and collect seriously (though maybe this is a good time...prices seem depressed?).

Still, I couldn't resist this one. Even JA liked it. Now I'm afraid to look further. Do all of us have addictive natures?
Lance.

imageimage

Comments

• I like sticking to my guns when working on a collection, but this forum is changing that more and more everyday. There's too much cool stuff out there and alot is posted here, making things worse for me.

• I'm all over the place with my collection. But I wouldn't throw a lot of money in anything without do a little homework first. I would be scared too knowing that there is endless amounts of information you must know before stepping into another path. I try to stay in the cents for the most part but when something catches my eye I must go for it after a crunch on here reading about it. Like right now I am looking to get a blue toned coin for my 3 yr old son (his favorite color)and have no idea yet what to look for. I am looking for info on them and if you or anybody has any information about them please pm me. Thanks
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    My new "addiction". Even more expensive than drugs!

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Whenever I get bored with my series of choice, I always have holes in my Type Set to fill. image I'm working on a book around the Classic Commem series of coins so you know how I feel about them. image
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I somehow went astray from my commem set and have been buying up nice medals and so-called dollars. It kinda makes me mad. I could have filled a few holes with the money I have spent on the damn things. Im a sucker for beautiful discs, no matter what they are.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a set of those blinders that horses wear would help keep us on trak image
    Ed
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started a new collection recently for items related to the NW. It's been alot of fun already. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭
    I love so many different coins I should start a type set. However, I'm working on a 1950-present proof set and that will keep me busy for a while. Especially the 1950-1960 cams and dcams.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting hooked and appreciating the craftsmanship associated with a series are different... but collecting is also about developing an appreciation for quality... getting hooked I suppose is the end result

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I actually just bought my first two pieces of Currency this week. I hope it doesnt become another addiction. Just love the artwork.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Standing Liberty Quarters have been screaming at me lately. SCREAMING. I'm very afraid of where this is headed.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Yes.

It's called "Golf" and it's driving me nuts.
    imageRIP
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I gave up being a strictly commem guy, there was just too much neat stuff around to limit myself!
  • Funny, I have been debating going after commems. After seeing that OP showing that Oregon Trail, I may jump today.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. at age 54 just bought my very first carton of Winstons. Looking forward to a nice addiction!

just kidding.
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    This past year or so, I have stuck to the want list for various sets. I've made a good deal of progress, starting with about 12 coins on the list, now half way through, so I see it as a good thing. Before this year, I often bought stuff just because it looked cool, or seemed a bargain. I didn't make much progress that way.

Collect what you like and enjoy the hobby.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. In the last three years I have sold off modern proof, Buffalo Nickel, Mercury Dime and Walker sets to focus on 19th century gold. I've enjoyed concentrating on one set and I don't miss the distractions.
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever Morgans start to bore me, I roll search nickels, cents & halves (if the bank ever has any).

I'm not really spending money, there's no guilt, and it's fun!

At coin shows/auctions I'm focused usually on Morgans though.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file