Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does this Elgin Baylor 1961 Fleer RC have any chance to cross to PSA 9?

2»

Comments

• Options
    It has been discussed for years that the BCCG grading scale is VASTLY DIFFERENT than the BGS grading scale.

If you don't read the words on the slab, then it is your own fault. If you don't know their grading scale and overpay for a card, then it's your own fault.

Grading Cards - BCCG
    About BCCG Card Grading

BCCG-graded cards (Beckett Collectors Club Grading) are completely separate and vastly different from the premium BGS- or BVG-graded cards. We can assure you that the same consummate care in handling is followed and consistent industry-leading quality of grading is applied to each and every card. As a result, BCCG-graded cards provide an eye-catching secondary market alternative to other graded card products, reaching a wider audience of fans and collectors. It features a modified numerical grading scale, with each level representing a range of standard conditions (Mint or better, Near mint or better, Excellent or better, etc.).

Furthermore, BCCG-graded cards are perfect for beginning or veteran collectors. Cards of a wide variety of star players are available in BCCG slabs. BCCG-graded cards are a perfect fit for the new collector who wants to be sure he's getting an excellent product from a trusted hobby source.

We also understand the importance of protecting your cards. Every BCCG-graded card is sealed and protected in a superior clear plastic holder whose design is based on the top-quality Beckett Grading Services (BGS) holder. Each holder features a white BCCG label with assigned grade, card serial number and precise card description obtained directly from Beckett's all-inclusive online database of sports cards. A fast and easy BCCG Card Lookup is available for card verification at the No. 1 online source for card collecting products, services and information BCCG has several different characteristics when compared to our BGS/BVG services. The BCCG service does not offer the four category (corners, centering, edges, and surface) break down on the backs of each of the cards. The BCCG service also does not have the half point grading scale which you see in the regular grading services - it is a more simplified grading scale that offers whole point grades only. The cases for BCCG cards are thinner than the BGS/BVG cases and there is no inner sleeve in which the card placed in before being inserted into the holder. Please be assured that our regular graders do grade all BCCG cards so you will be getting a professional Beckett Grading Services opinion from a qualified Beckett grader.
  • Options
    If you are suggesting I can buy PSA 7, 7.5, and 8 graded Jordan rookies, and BCCG will put them into 10 holders (Mint or better), then I suppose that would prove BCCG overgrades cards. Isn't that the point I was making?

No, that's what he is suggesting you are suggesting. And if you think you can prove your point, then you should try and do it by making thousands by cracking PSA/BGS 7-8 Jordan RCs and getting them into BCCG 10 holders assuming they overgrade as much as you say they do.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>If you are suggesting I can buy PSA 7, 7.5, and 8 graded Jordan rookies, and BCCG will put them into 10 holders (Mint or better), then I suppose that would prove BCCG overgrades cards. Isn't that the point I was making? >>

That is precisely what I'm suggesting. If you think BCCG overgrades, then you can a) prove your point, and b) make about a quarter million dollars in the next six months. Just load up on PSA 7-8 Gretzky, Jordan, Payton, Montana, '82TT Ripken, etc., and move them into BCCG 10 slabs.

If you AREN'T going to do this, then please take a minute and explain why not.
  • Options

<< <i>If you are suggesting I can buy PSA 7, 7.5, and 8 graded Jordan rookies, and BCCG will put them into 10 holders (Mint or better), then I suppose that would prove BCCG overgrades cards. Isn't that the point I was making?

No, that's what he is suggesting you are suggesting. And if you think you can prove your point, then you should try and do it by making thousands by cracking PSA/BGS 7-8 Jordan RCs and getting them into BCCG 10 holders assuming they overgrade as much as you say they do. >>

Indeeed, mon ami-- and we would be talking about thousands, because a BCCG 10 for any major RC sells for about the same as a PSA/BGS/SGC 9. If BCCG really is just a 'slabbing service', then a man could make a literal fortune in the next few months by taking advantage of this apparent inefficiency.
  • Options
    I regret not buying that BCCG 10 Elgin Baylor RC for $399 or best offer image It looked nice too! image
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Gotcha. I thought you were suggesting I do that, since YOU believed they would probably end up in 10 holders.

No, I won't be doing the experiment, so I guess my opinion will remain my opinion, & nothing more.

I base my opinion on past experiences, and so do you. Again, my personal experience cracking BCCG and subbing to PSA has had consistently unsuccessful results (getting EOT or a PSA grade at least a full grade lower than the BCCG min).

I suppose my opinion doesn't need an experiment to support it any more than yours does. So I will say FOR ME, BCCG has been sh*t.

• Options
    BCCG = Berry Crappy Card Graders

Always looking for Vintage Yankees & NASCAR

Eric
  • Options
    I suppose my opinion doesn't need an experiment to support it any more than yours does.

I think you might be missing boopotts' point. So your experience is that BCCG slabbed cards turn worthless when trying to get cards into PSA slabs because BCCG overgrades by at least a full grade. Wouldn't that stand to reason that 'PSA 8 NM-MT' Jordan and Gretzky RCs would end up in 'BCCG 10 MINT OR BETTER' slabs? If that's the case then you would stand to profit off the cards being in BCCG 10 slabs according to past sales records. If you truly believe BCCG is garbage (and most on these forums would agree with that assessment), there would appear to be a loophole in the market that you could exploit. You could slide a ton of PSA 8 (and even trimmed cards) into BCCG 10 holders and make a killing according to past sales data. If you are truly a man who follows your beliefs, you would stand to make a lot of money if you are correct.

Here's another example- say you found XYZTPG slabbed cards on the market and found that these cards were accurately graded, but were going for 50% of what PSA cards were going for in the same grade. Wouldn't you buy as many XYZTPG cards as you could, get them into PSA slabs and flip them for a 100% profit? Or would you sit on the sidelines and say "XYZTPG cards are accurately graded, I don't care what you guys say"?
  • Options

<< <i>

I suppose my opinion doesn't need an experiment to support it any more than yours does. >>

Definitely the quote of the month. If BCCG is just a slabbing factory, then you're leaving 100's of thousands on the table-- but you won't bend over to pick that money up because you don't want to be burdened with the responsibility of supporting an opinion with facts. And instead of thinking 'Wow, I never really thought of that before-- I guess BCCG probably isn't all that crappy, because if it was their 10's wouldn't have the same market value as PSA 9's', you do exactly what every other CU poster does when confronted with evidence that would force them to rethink a position, and that's dig in your heels and bray.

Edit to add: I'm done with this subject, but I want to make it clear that in no way are our opinions on this topic comparable, because my opinion IS backed by the results of an 'experiment'. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to exploit the allegedly lax grading standards of BCCG in a two-year experiment that saw me buying all manners of '94 SP A-Rods, Jordan RC's, Gretz RC's, Henderson RC's, and on and on, and I can firmly announce to anyone listening that BCCG does a much better job of grading cards then their reputation would suggest. If someone else here has MADE thousands exploiting this alledged disparity, please chime in! Otherwise, all we have here is more surface noise.
  • Options
    I personally think someone is an idiot who submits a card to BCCG that has a chance at a high grade with PSA or BGS.

BCCG is just a low fee, low end grading sub company of BGS.

I dont know what is so hard for people to realize it. They even publish (wow who would've thought) the grading scale for BCCG.

If you purchase a BCCG 10, and think your going to cross it over to PSA or BGS for a 10, then your just an idiot.

Read the damn grading scale involved in it, and read the damn label on the slab.

There are millions of idiots in this world who lack simple common sense, but luckily I'm not one of them.
  • Options

<< <i>I personally think someone is an idiot who submits a card to BCCG that has a chance at a high grade with PSA or BGS.

BCCG is just a low fee, low end grading sub company of BGS.

I dont know what is so hard for people to realize it. They even publish (wow who would've thought) the grading scale for BCCG.

If you purchase a BCCG 10, and think your going to cross it over to PSA or BGS for a 10, then your just an idiot.

Read the damn grading scale involved in it, and read the damn label on the slab.

There are millions of idiots in this world who lack simple common sense, but luckily I'm not one of them. >>

I guess brianwintersfan is a idiot then.. He got quit a few bccg 10's into PSA 10 holders awhile back if I'm not mistaking....
  • Options
    rare........good for him
  • Options

<< <i>rare........good for him >>

The question is, was it vintage?
  • Options

<< <i>

The question is, was it vintage? >>

No modern football.. Farve stuff I'm pretty sure.. you gotta crack and submit.. crossovers for any company is a joke I don't care what anybody says.

• Options

<< <i>
    I guess brianwintersfan is a idiot then.. He got quit a few bccg 10's into PSA 10 holders awhile back if I'm not mistaking.... >>

Not an idoit... just goooood.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No modern football.. Farve stuff I'm pretty sure.. you gotta crack and submit.. crossovers for any company is a joke I don't care what anybody says. >>

image I've done that before, crack and submit. I would never "crossover" any card.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I guess brianwintersfan is a idiot then.. He got quit a few bccg 10's into PSA 10 holders awhile back if I'm not mistaking.... >>

Not an idoit... just goooood. >>

All modern unnumbered cards are PSA 10's image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No modern football.. Farve stuff I'm pretty sure.. you gotta crack and submit.. crossovers for any company is a joke I don't care what anybody says. >>

Ok well for modern whatever........but for vintage, I stand with what I said earlier in the thread.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I suppose my opinion doesn't need an experiment to support it any more than yours does. >>

Definitely the quote of the month. If BCCG is just a slabbing factory, then you're leaving 100's of thousands on the table-- but you won't bend over to pick that money up because you don't want to be burdened with the responsibility of supporting an opinion with facts. And instead of thinking 'Wow, I never really thought of that before-- I guess BCCG probably isn't all that crappy, because if it was their 10's wouldn't have the same market value as PSA 9's', you do exactly what every other CU poster does when confronted with evidence that would force them to rethink a position, and that's dig in your heels and bray. >>

I don't bray. But I have enjoyed this discussion.
    I did not lose thousands on BCCG cards, but I did lose hundreds, and I am not likely to discard that experience just because you had a more positive one on a larger scale.
    I will be cracking and sending some PSA 8s to BCCG over the coming months. I won't be investing thousands, but I'll send enough of them to make a determination, IMO. If they grade them accurately (ie, they agree with PSA/SGC) I will publicly change my opinion on them, and I'd be happy to sell them to someone who wants them.
  • Options

<< <i>I will be cracking and sending some PSA 8s to BCCG over the coming months. I won't be investing thousands, but I'll send enough of them to make a determination, IMO. If they grade them accurately (ie, they agree with PSA/SGC) I will publicly change my opinion on them, and I'd be happy to sell them to someone who wants them. >>

Pulling poor blankets over our sailors.
  • Options
    Pulling poor blankets over our sailors. >>

Marines don't like sailors image
  • Options

<< <i>Pulling poor blankets over our sailors. >>

Marines don't like sailors image >>

I think that's the wool being pulled over our eyes csmtampa. An idiom.

Don't be negative with the sailors, they will carry you to the shore of any conflict. image
  • Options
    I don't bray. But I have enjoyed this discussion. I did not lose thousands on BCCG cards, but I did lose hundreds, and I am not likely to discard that experience just because you had a more positive one on a larger scale. I will be cracking and sending some PSA 8s to BCCG over the coming months. I won't be investing thousands, but I'll send enough of them to make a determination, IMO. If they grade them accurately (ie, they agree with PSA/SGC) I will publicly change my opinion on them, and I'd be happy to sell them to someone who wants them.

Cool, that seems like fun. For the record, I have no experience with BCCG so I really have no dog in this fight. In fact, I suspect you could probably get some well centered PSA 8s into BCCG 10 slabs and make a few bucks here and there if you know what both grading companies are looking for. Let us know how you do.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Definitely the quote of the month. If BCCG is just a slabbing factory, then you're leaving 100's of thousands on the table-- but you won't bend over to pick that money up because you don't want to be burdened with the responsibility of supporting an opinion with facts. And instead of thinking 'Wow, I never really thought of that before-- I guess BCCG probably isn't all that crappy, because if it was their 10's wouldn't have the same market value as PSA 9's', you do exactly what every other CU poster does when confronted with evidence that would force them to rethink a position, and that's dig in your heels and bray. >>

I don't bray. But I have enjoyed this discussion.
    I did not lose thousands on BCCG cards, but I did lose hundreds, and I am not likely to discard that experience just because you had a more positive one on a larger scale.
    I will be cracking and sending some PSA 8s to BCCG over the coming months. I won't be investing thousands, but I'll send enough of them to make a determination, IMO. If they grade them accurately (ie, they agree with PSA/SGC) I will publicly change my opinion on them, and I'd be happy to sell them to someone who wants them. >>

The fact that you are even considering the possibility of changing your opinion puts you in a very rare strata here on the CU boards, and I commend you for that.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you crack out the card(s) going to BCCG make sure you give them a really good look because there could also be the rare instance where you could be the loser in the "send it to BCCG" game, because PSA doesn't always get the grade right. I recently had a PSA 8.5 come back a PSA 10 (on a crack and resub). Had I cracked and sent to BCCG, they would have placed it in a BCCG 10 Mint or Better slab, and someone else would have gotten my PSA 10.

In my case was PSA wrong giving it the 8.5 originally, or when they gave it the 10 on the 2nd go round? Perhaps it was just a mint card and they were wrong both times. Who knows.
  • Options

<< <i>When you crack out the card(s) going to BCCG make sure you give them a really good look because there could also be the rare instance where you could be the loser in the "send it to BCCG" game, because PSA doesn't always get the grade right. I recently had a PSA 8.5 come back a PSA 10 (on a crack and resub). Had I cracked and sent to BCCG, they would have placed it in a BCCG 10 Mint or Better slab, and someone else would have gotten my PSA 10.

In my case was PSA wrong giving it the 8.5 originally, or when they gave it the 10 on the 2nd go round? Perhaps it was just a mint card and they were wrong both times. Who knows. >>

Congrats on the PSA 10 image,
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends