Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does this Elgin Baylor 1961 Fleer RC have any chance to cross to PSA 9?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭
    Honestly looks like a 7 OC.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

PSA 7
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    NO WAY
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly looks like a 7 OC. >>

Looks about right.
  • Thanks guys!

Not even an 8?
    Not even a chance.

EDIT: To agree with the qualifier (OC).

<< <i>Thanks guys!

Not even an 8? >>

If the corners look better than they do in the scan, 8 OC at best. It could go straight 7, but I think the left and right and top to bottom is so extreme that the OC should be given even at a 7.

• << <i>Not even a chance. >>

Then I have no clue why beckett would do this whole 9 and 10 thing when thats not the grade!

BCCG doesn't make any sense at all??? Just an expensive holder I guess.
  • Check out this PSA 8 OC I found...

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. image Still, an awesome RC. Get it out of that slab pronto.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Check out this PSA 8 OC I found...

image >>

This pic raises a good question. Is PSA not deducting grades for roller marks? I've got a PSA 6 Snider (52 Bowman) that I bought off ebay and the scan didnt show how bad the roller mark was going across his face. How is this Baylor an 8 with that mark" And how is it not PD? Is it b/c there's already a qualifier included? I guess I've never seen a multiple qual.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.

• << <i>

Agreed. image Still, an awesome RC. Get it out of that slab pronto. >>

Sorry, I didn't mention this wasen't my card. I was just asking to see if it would cross. The guy wants about $700 with best offer option.
    Actually, the pixel count on the lower borders are 11 on the left and 6 on the right.

It probably wouldn't get an (OC)... I'm thinking.

<< <i>Actually, the pixel count on the lower borders are 11 on the left and 6 on the right.

It probably wouldn't get an (OC)... I'm thinking. >>

No, you're right, it technically falls within straight 7 guidelines. My statement is more of a hunch based upon eye appeal I guess.
  • Compared to that PSA 8OC, does it have a shot at straight PSA 8? I really don't see why it shouldn't get an 8, when I look at the 8OC.

The corners on that 8(OC) look really sharp. On the BCCG card the lower left and upper right look soft. The others don't look perfect either.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Chaz fly in here with a PSA 6. image

• << <i>The corners on that 8(OC) look really sharp. On the BCCG card the lower left and upper right look soft. The others don't look perfect either.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Chaz fly in here with a PSA 6. image >>

You mean PSA 4 CHAZ image
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The card has zero chance of being an 8. It's centered about 80/20 and there's a decent chance it's trimmed. It's a straight 6 at best, so the seller wants about $550 too much.
    I thought it would be within the 7 (OC) guidelines, but I agree with it looks more like a straight 6.

• Darn it, its too bad I can't find the auction for a BCCG 10 Baylor RC. Now I am pretty sure that card would have been a 9, it looked soo good, the centering was perfect and everything looked really good. The guy wanted $399 or best offer and I regret not buying it image I don't know what happened to it, maybe somebody bought it or ended, but I can't find anywhere. I would have thought at worst the BCCG 9 come back a PSA 8, but that BCCG 10 looked better than some PSA 9's i've seen. I did have a day dream about that card crossing to a PSA 10 image but at least a cool 9.
    On the other side, if you had purchased it, you'd probably be regretting having done so later. Don't gamble with this.
    Also, you should know, Beckett openly slabs trimmed and sheet cut cards that fall into dimensional guidelines...if the edges look too good...they are.
    EB- Do some research on bccg before you spend anything significant on a key card in a bccg slab.

• << <i>On the other side, if you had purchased it, you'd probably be regretting having done so later. Don't gamble with this. >>

Your right! I'm actualy waiting for this BCCG 10 to pop up again, if it didn't sell that is. This seller wanted $399 or best offer and I looked at it for a very long time, day after day and the card looked soo much like a 10 or at least a 9, but it got me thinking, why would he only charge $399, so I waited and now its gone! image Not sure if somebody bought it, but maybe it just ended with no buyer. I'm going to wait a little bit to see if it pops up again and i'll definetly offer something for it, I truely believe it could at least get a 9, unlike this BCCG 9, I would hoping it would at least get an 8, but the other card had no doubts, accept that it was such a low asking price. I hope he relists it image

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated!
    EB- Do some research on bccg before you spend anything significant on a key card in a bccg slab.

OK, let me rephrase since I don't think it's sinking in: Don't buy any key cards in bccg slabs.

Just trying to save you money.

• << <i>EB- Do some research on bccg before you spend anything significant on a key card in a bccg slab.

OK, let me rephrase since I don't think it's sinking in: Don't buy any key cards in bccg slabs.

Just trying to save you money. >>

Why not? I'm not questioning you, i'm just wondering if you had bad experience with them? I never bought a BCCG graded card so I have no idea what to expect. Can they be trimmed, like another member mentioned? Whats the story with this BCCG?

I appreciate any info!
    Why not? I'm not questioning you, i'm just wondering if you had bad experience with them? I never bought a BCCG graded card so I have no idea what to expect. Can they be trimmed, like another member mentioned? Whats the story with this BCCG? I appreciate any info!

They basically look at the card for 2 seconds and throw it in a slab. It could be trimmed, creased, recolored, whatever. The point is, anybody who grades cards would know to send a truly high grade vintage card to PSA, SGC or possibly BGS/BVG if they wanted to get a big price. If you see a high grade key vintage card in a BCCG slab it's most likely because a reputable grading company has rejected it. There's a reason BCCG cards go for a lot less than the others.

There have been instances of BCCG cards crossing over, but they are rarely high dollar cards like a 61 Fleer Elgin Baylor.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can they be trimmed, like another member mentioned? >>

You should know: that comment wasn't speculative...Beckett employees openly admit to slabbing cards that have been cut after-market when they measure up and are cut well.

That's not to say others haven't slabbed the same...they certainly have...but the other 2 companies don't have a policy of doing so and do their best to prevent it.

• << <i>Why not? I'm not questioning you, i'm just wondering if you had bad experience with them? I never bought a BCCG graded card so I have no idea what to expect. Can they be trimmed, like another member mentioned? Whats the story with this BCCG? I appreciate any info!

They basically look at the card for 2 seconds and throw it in a slab. It could be trimmed, creased, recolored, whatever. The point is, anybody who grades cards would know to send a truly high grade vintage card to PSA, SGC or possibly BGS/BVG if they wanted to get a big price. If you see a high grade key vintage card in a BCCG slab it's most likely because a reputable grading company has rejected it. There's a reason BCCG cards go for a lot less than the others.

There have been instances of BCCG cards crossing over, but they are rarely high dollar cards like a 61 Fleer Elgin Baylor. >>

Thanks, that make a lot of sense!

Of course I would send anything to vintage to PSA, but if I could have gotten a good deal to buy a BCCG and send to PSA that would have been great. I still like the BCCG 10 image but at least it wasen't an arm and a leg, compared to the $700 the guy wants for the BCCG 9, when the 10 was $399 with best offer. If he would accept $250 for it, I don't think that would be too much of a lose just in case, because I think PSA 7's go for like $200 or something around there. I appreciate that info very much and i'll definetly stay away from high priced BCCG cards, but if the price is right, then its like buying some lotto tickets, haha. Thanks again!
    Darnn Nick...why didn't I think of that?

• << <i>image >>

Thats cool, what is it?
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

Thats cool, what is it? >>

image = image
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    BCCG was created by Beckett as a fast, bulk submission service, designed to quickly handle orders in the 100s or 1000s - that's why they don't assign a specific grade, just a grade range.
    They do NOT examine the card for authenticity, alterations, they just give it a cursory exam. A BCCG holder is about the same as a toploader.
  • It finally sold!!!

Ebay listing

Ebay item # 370144856246.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BCCG was created by Beckett as a fast, bulk submission service, designed to quickly handle orders in the 100s or 1000s - that's why they don't assign a specific grade, just a grade range.
    They do NOT examine the card for authenticity, alterations, they just give it a cursory exam. A BCCG holder is about the same as a toploader. >>

NEVER BUY ANYTHING BCCG, you would be lucky to get a BVG 6 out of this card, the real reason why BCCG was created was so that bulk sellers that didn't get a minimum grade could have their cards graded 9 and 10 to sell to people like you who think just maybe it could be a REAL 9 or 10.... not unlike PRO and the rest of them.
  • Not without a Qualifier
  • LOL, a key card like that in a BCCG holder? Would you leave $500 plus on the table and go with BCCG instead of PSA?
    I just wanted all the good people in this thread to know that EB22 is the twice banned CU member who was banned as SportsItUpCards and as HobbyKings.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>BCCG was created by Beckett as a fast, bulk submission service, designed to quickly handle orders in the 100s or 1000s - that's why they don't assign a specific grade, just a grade range.
    They do NOT examine the card for authenticity, alterations, they just give it a cursory exam. A BCCG holder is about the same as a toploader. >>

This is not true. Absolutely, positively untrue. Seriously-- am I the only guy on these boards who's actually SUBMITTED to BCCG? I have cracked all manners of GEM cards and such that measured up, sent them into BCCG, and had them kicked back EOT. I've also cracked PSA 8's that have come back EOT, SGC 92's that have come back EOT, and GAI 8's that have come back EOT. Anyone who thinks the BCCG graders just rubber-stamp a grade on a flip w/o examining the card are simply dead nuts wrong.
  • We have a Mikan Menko siting!

<< <i>

This is not true. Absolutely, positively untrue. Seriously-- am I the only guy on these boards who's actually SUBMITTED to BCCG? I have cracked all manners of GEM cards and such that measured up, sent them into BCCG, and had them kicked back EOT. I've also cracked PSA 8's that have come back EOT, SGC 92's that have come back EOT, and GAI 8's that have come back EOT. Anyone who thinks the BCCG graders just rubber-stamp a grade on a flip w/o examining the card are simply dead nuts wrong. >>

When I was building registry sets, I bought BCCG cards and subbed to PSA. When they weren't deemed trimmed by PSA, they were vastly overgraded by BCCG. I learned my lesson. Their grading service is garbage, you can't even call it a grading service - it is a slabbing service.

BTW, why would you crack an SGC 92 to send to BCCG?
  • Wow that seller did great, BCCG is a big rip off.
    A BCCG 9 is actually near-mint, so that would be technically like a PSA 7, but this way seller can put BCCG BGS 9, and make it seem like a BGS 9.
    This is why we see BCCG 9 selling for way higher than near-mint 7 grade or even 7.5 grade
    nice PSA 7 can be had for around 300-330 in way better condition than that BCCG 9
    PSA 7 $337
    PSA 7 $320
    PSA 7 $315
    PSA 7 $305
    PSA 7 $219
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭✭
    the number on the slab is 9, but look at the words, it says "near mint' or better. it's a whole different grading system. that card doesn't look close to mint, either.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

This is not true. Absolutely, positively untrue. Seriously-- am I the only guy on these boards who's actually SUBMITTED to BCCG? I have cracked all manners of GEM cards and such that measured up, sent them into BCCG, and had them kicked back EOT. I've also cracked PSA 8's that have come back EOT, SGC 92's that have come back EOT, and GAI 8's that have come back EOT. Anyone who thinks the BCCG graders just rubber-stamp a grade on a flip w/o examining the card are simply dead nuts wrong. >>

When I was building registry sets, I bought BCCG cards and subbed to PSA. When they weren't deemed trimmed by PSA, they were vastly overgraded by BCCG. I learned my lesson. Their grading service is garbage, you can't even call it a grading service - it is a slabbing service.

BTW, why would you crack an SGC 92 to send to BCCG? >>

You thought they were 'vastly overgraded' because you thought a BCCG 9 was the same as a PSA 9-- which is is not, and BCCG is very upfront about this.

If you think BCCG is vastly overgraded garbage, here's a chance for you to make literally a quarter million dollars in the next calendar year. Start buying all the BGS, SGC and PSA Michael Jordan RC's you can get your hands on that are graded NM, NM/MT or NM/MT+. These should cost you, on average, between $350 and $680 (depending on the grade, etc.). Send them all into BCCG, get them into BCCG 10 holders, and sell them for $1200 each.

You'll make a fortune this way. I promise it.

If you are suggesting I can buy PSA 7, 7.5, and 8 graded Jordan rookies, and BCCG will put them into 10 holders (Mint or better), then I suppose that would prove BCCG overgrades cards. Isn't that the point I was making?

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

BTW, why would you crack an SGC 92 to send to BCCG? >>

You thought they were 'vastly overgraded' because you thought a BCCG 9 was the same as a PSA 9-- which is is not, and BCCG is very upfront about this.

If you think BCCG is vastly overgraded garbage, here's a chance for you to make literally a quarter million dollars in the next calendar year. Start buying all the BGS, SGC and PSA Michael Jordan RC's you can get your hands on that are graded NM, NM/MT or NM/MT+. These should cost you, on average, between $350 and $680 (depending on the grade, etc.). Send them all into BCCG, get them into BCCG 10 holders, and sell them for $1200 each.

You'll make a fortune this way. I promise it. >>

lol, I gotta try this, so I can get a BCCG 10 Jordan RC for my collection image Great idea!