Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

To Discuss or To not Discuss..........

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
Before:

15 minutes later after some MS70:

image .. image

End of discussion.
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Glad I got out of numismatic coins!!!
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    It would be a more valid comparison if the lighting were identical for both before and after photographs.

The angle between the surface of the coin, the camera, and the light needs to be held constant.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I can hear it already...

Clearly there was laquer hiding that toning.

The blue coloration only occurs on proof coins from MS 70.

There were hoards of these coins from 100 years ago.

...but those of us who have tried it ourselves know better.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks the same to me. Actually looks better before, after it seems to have some "stuff" stuck to it at the bottom left.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let's discuss what else you are planning to do with the rest of the contents of that bottle image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    I wasn't even aware that there was any contention on the fact that MS70 blues copper.
  • Options

<< <i>let's discuss what else you are planning to do with the rest of the contents of that bottle image >>

I was gonna wash my hair.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>let's discuss what else you are planning to do with the rest of the contents of that bottle image >>

I was gonna wash my hair. >>

Don't knock it, I colored my hair blue when I was younger.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options

<< <i>

Video at eleven!!image
  • Options
    Another coin lost to the ages...image

MS70 is crap when used on copper. I dont care if it cleans silver coins real nice... Its doctoring a coin.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wasn't even aware that there was any contention on the fact that MS70 blues copper. >>

There is quite a bit of contention by some -- mostly those who either deal in these coins, or own them...and not so much that MS70 does tone copper blue, but rather that blue toned copper are or are not AT. Here's one example:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=30&threadid=721505&highlight_key=y&keyword1=artificial&keyword2=toned
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>

<< <i>I wasn't even aware that there was any contention on the fact that MS70 blues copper. >>

There is quite a bit of contention by some -- mostly those who either deal in these coins, or own them...and not so much that MS70 does tone copper blue, but rather that blue toned copper are or are not AT. Here's one example:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=30&threadid=721505&highlight_key=y&keyword1=artificial&keyword2=toned >>

Fixed Link
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ammonia and Goo-Gone will also leave blue toning in areas that were previously dirty.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

You need a manicure first.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    Post number 26 or so <<Fixed Link>>, by mikeinfl, has a picture of some Indians cents, and a mpl. The mpl pictured that was lightly wiped with MS70 is the only NGC graded mpl with a star on the holder... image And in hand its obviously been messed with. Its graded a 66BR, but it should not have been slabbed, or messed with in the first place.

Funny, it was owned by the guy that messes with it when doctored, then NGC thought it such a great coin to give it a 66 and a star, now its in the market and the last time I saw it for sale was marked at nearly $3k...
    I guess it was an educational exercise...

NGC is great with copper and their star designation lost alot of respect with me as a collector due to that coin.

MS70 on any coin is doctoring a coin. If its your coin and youll never sell it, great. But its still a doctored coin.

As always, these are my personal feelings and opinions.image And just that.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Ugh!

Thats residue from the last manicure I had and I can't get the danged stuff off!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Ugh!

That's residue from the last manicure I had and I can't get the danged stuff off! >>

Store your thumb in olive oil for a month.
    Lance.
  • Options
    BTW, the entire point of the thread is to simply show what affect MS70 has on copper. No two copper coins react the same way. Some get the blue while other show some type of lavendar. What causes this effect is unimportant to me and I really don;t care because I've seen with my own eyes, even though the pictures above may not be definitive, what occurs between MS70 and copper.

With the few cents I have laying around I'll see if I can find something thats a bit more conclusive.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file