Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS coins in... annoyed, but not by the grades!

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got 8 coins back yesterday, and 4 of them had the coin slightly rotated in the slab. Not severly, but just enough to be annoying. I've never had this issue with PCGS before. Has anyone else noticed this lately?
You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588

<< <i>I just got 8 coins back yesterday, and 4 of them had the coin slightly rotated in the slab. Not severly, but just enough to be annoying. I've never had this issue with PCGS before. Has anyone else noticed this lately? >>

Yes. You are definitely more uptight lately.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tap the slabs on their corner to rotate the coins back. Not a big deal.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    the older slabs could be tapped in the side and the coin would slowly rotate, not sure about latest model
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just got 8 coins back yesterday, and 4 of them had the coin slightly rotated in the slab. Not severly, but just enough to be annoying. I've never had this issue with PCGS before. Has anyone else noticed this lately? >>

Yes. You are definitely more uptight lately. >>

ROFL! It must be true- my wife said it to me the other day....

I tried tapping- it doesn't work... guess they're stuck that way...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Then maybe you're not tapping right? I take mine and pinch a corner between themb and index, then smack the opposite corner on my knee and it spins, leaves a small bruise but that will go away as well....image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

just turn your head and look at it, or turn the slab a little. image

Hey, I like the framed Discovery coin thing you did, cool.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Maybe this guy can help you practice! image

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Then maybe you're not tapping right? I take mine and pinch a corner between themb and index, then smack the opposite corner on my knee and it spins, leaves a small bruise but that will go away as well....image >>

I think you have a new line of work....
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    PQTypePQType Posts: 471
    I have some coins like this and I was able to buy them at a great price because there are a lot of us who want them straight. I plan on getting them re-holdered.

I have had problems with the gaskets around them scuffed pretty bad. Its distracting. When Eye appeal means so much. You would think PCGS could easily correct these two problems. Simple quality control and start using the True View inserts like NGC.

I have to ship from NH to CA. Its expensive and inconvenient as I am disabled. They will correct the problem if you call them. But I think it would be best from both sides if they caught it before it left PCGS the 1st time.

They could offer this new True View inserts as an option. I would gladly pay $2- $5.00 extra for this insert. They could design it so the insert are centered and all go in the exact same way.

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Tell everyone it's a rotated die. Wanna buy it.image

Better yet, get a hammer, knock the crap out of it, when you get to the coin, make sure you wear gloves and straighten it at it's proper angle.. Then get some duck tape and tell all of your friends this coin was in a tornado and all though the slab took a beating the coin is still in it's correct position..imageimage

Sorry, in that kind of mood today..image
  • Options
    I use to work for Batesville Casket and was the supervisor of the finish department. I was responsible for my 30 workers finding every defect on 300 wood caskets day on an assembly line before the stain was applied. You would not believe how picky the morticians were. The underside of the lip of trim around one model has to be checked,sanded and then inspected before it left my department. My workers were great they never had one defect get through while I was there

This problem slab is so simple to correct.
  • Options

<< <i>I use to work for Batesville Casket and was the supervisor of the finish department. I was responsible for my 30 workers finding every defect on 300 wood caskets day on an assembly line before the stain was applied. You would not believe how picky the morticians were. The underside of the lip of trim around one model has to be checked,sanded and then inspected before it left my department. My workers were great they never had one defect get through while I was there

This problem slab is so simple to correct. >>

I think this is my problem, too. I used to work for Dave & Buster's, as senior amusements manager. Every week I had to create a 'punch list' of every visual and mechanical fault of 150 video game machines. Even minor scratches had to be noted. I think I look at everything in that mode now. If I go out to dinner, I find myself noticing every burned-out light bulb in the place. I haven't worked there in 2 years, so it's time to relaaaaxxxxx.....
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>I use to work for Batesville Casket and was the supervisor of the finish department. I was responsible for my 30 workers finding every defect on 300 wood caskets day on an assembly line before the stain was applied. You would not believe how picky the morticians were. The underside of the lip of trim around one model has to be checked,sanded and then inspected before it left my department. My workers were great they never had one defect get through while I was there

I think this is my problem, too. I used to work for Dave & Buster's, as senior amusements manager. Every week I had to create a 'punch list' of every visual and mechanical fault of 150 video game machines. Even minor scratches had to be noted. I think I look at everything in that mode now. If I go out to dinner, I find myself noticing every burned-out light bulb in the place. I haven't worked there in 2 years, so it's time to relaaaaxxxxx..... >>

Dave&VBusters humm.. I went once at the one in Arundelmills Maryland and will never go again. No rules, my son had to wait 1 hr to play a Nascar racing because the group of no mannered kids kept playing and playing and playing.. Hell I waited for 1/2 hour to play that stupid bowling game that you push and turn the ball while you watch it on a tv screen, the reason why so long is these parents that chat crap with friends and family, don't have any money for their kids to play so they pretend and won't move.. Years ago I would of told those little buttheads move now or the boogie man will get you, but most parents want to sue or bring race into it.

A little advice for any manager out their running CHucky or Daves, have signs and higher a gimp to enforce the rules, the reason is you are losing huge $$$ when other kids can't play and then they don't return.

P.S. funny thing also, there was a guy outside of the mall entrance selling coupons to customers to get a extra 100 points if you buy the $20 card or something like that.. They saw him and did nothing..

Oh well Dave and Busters is a family place, seems like more a dumping ground for kids..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think this is my problem, too. I used to work for Dave & Buster's, as senior amusements manager. Every week I had to create a 'punch list' of every visual and mechanical fault of 150 video game machines. Even minor scratches had to be noted. I think I look at everything in that mode now. If I go out to dinner, I find myself noticing every burned-out light bulb in the place. I haven't worked there in 2 years, so it's time to relaaaaxxxxx..... >>

Dave&VBusters humm.. I went once at the one in Arundelmills Maryland and will never go again. No rules, my son had to wait 1 hr to play a Nascar racing because the group of no mannered kids kept playing and playing and playing.. Hell I waited for 1/2 hour to play that stupid bowling game that you push and turn the ball while you watch it on a tv screen, the reason why so long is these parents that chat crap with friends and family, don't have any money for their kids to play so they pretend and won't move.. Years ago I would of told those little buttheads move now or the boogie man will get you, but most parents want to sue or bring race into it.

A little advice for any manager out their running CHucky or Daves, have signs and higher a gimp to enforce the rules, the reason is you are losing huge $$$ when other kids can't play and then they don't return.

P.S. funny thing also, there was a guy outside of the mall entrance selling coupons to customers to get a extra 100 points if you buy the $20 card or something like that.. They saw him and did nothing..

Oh well Dave and Busters is a family place, seems like more a dumping ground for kids.. >>

It never used to be like that. When I started with D&B it wasn't a kiddie place. In fact, the kids had to leave @ 10 PM every night. They also had to be with a parent at all times, and no more than 3 per parent. When the company went public, the decision was made to make it more kid-friendly, and it's never been the same (or as nice) since. The one in Arundel used to be a Jillians, but was bought and converted. Anyway, the company was bought by a private equity company, Dave & Buster were both "retired", and I suddenly found out that I had no more career path, so I left... I will always remain disappointed at how the company changed from what it was...
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have some coins like this and I was able to buy them at a great price because there are a lot of us who want them straight. I plan on getting them re-holdered.
    [snip]

image >>

I looked at the picture before I read that first sentence. Was about to award you a "You SUCK!" until I realized the pic
    referenced your subsequent point about holder style... imageimage
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a solution to your problem. ---> Link To Slab Issue Solution.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a solution to your problem. ---> Link To Slab Issue Solution. >>

Something about bolt cutters being that close to coins bothers me more than the crooked coins do...
  • Options
    Poor quality control. I ahve actually passed on a few coins due to rotation in the slab. Its distarcting and hurts the visual aspect of the coin which is the most important thing. Another pet peeve I have is when CAC cant apply their lovely stickers without covering up part of the info on the label
  • Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    I brought this subject up before and someone said "it's not worth a post", well I think it is worth it and apparently so do alot of people. I happen to be sort of a perfectionist with my coins and if they are not sitting in the 12 and 6 position, I am annoyed. When I sent in my UHR (first and only coin submitted), I made a note to make sure that the coin is sitting perfectly in the holder.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad it is so close to a major show....I can imagine Don and the others are pretty busy right now, but I think it would be interesting if one of the PCGS elite (HRH, Don, etc) commented their thoughts on this.......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's a solution to your problem. ---> Link To Slab Issue Solution. >>

Something about bolt cutters being that close to coins bothers me more than the crooked coins do... >>

Funny video... that guy dropped the second coin on the floor just as he was about to put it into the album... oops! image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me occasionally too. HRH emailed me once about it, was very cordial and said you could just bang a slab (even new kinds) on corner 'til the gasket inside rotated... well, it's time for an instructional YouTube video, 'cause I've never been able to get a crooked coin to budge!

Rattlers are another matter, those rotate of their own accord, yet, are easy to rotate back in place.
  • Options
    You learn something new every day... I have a Morgan in an OGH hiolder, the morgan is off by at least 35 degrees. I just tried to tap it like a rattle on my hand and no luck. So I just tried the hard plactic handle of my office type chair and withing 20 seconds I had it straighted out. I've been holding on that that coin for 2 years to send in witrh some others to be reholdered.

The key seems to be that you need to tap it on hard surface. I have a small piece of oak in the workshop that will now be used for this purpose.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny video... that guy dropped the second coin on the floor just as he was about to put it into the album... oops! image >>

Yeah, oops. God forbid a well circulated coin actually see handeling like it would have when it was being used as money. That's the beauty of collecting coins that can't put someone through college. They aren't doomed to live out the remainder of their existance in a plastic tomb secreted away in a bank or vault and you can actually take pleasure from handeling them like they were meant to be handeled. It's a great thing. Both of the coins in the video have lived in my Library of Coins album since their escape. Below are photos of both the coins that were cracked out in that video. Check out that 1840, can you tell it's been dropped? Nope, sure can't.

imageimage
  • Options
    i did a bulk submission on these a while back and about a half dozen out of 100 came back like this. i`ve had other submissions where i`ll get one or two that are not properly done.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOO - WHO - WHO - imageimageimageimageimageimage

Do you guys REALLY think that PCGS slabs them crooked image

NO!!!! The coins rotate during shipment. The bouncing and banging during shipment causes the rotation. If you have ever hauled coins to and set-up at shows you will learn this quickly enough. Coins that were straight become rotated during the ride.

And yes, any coin can be rotated back to the correct position. I have aligned many coins by tapping on the edge of the holder in the direction you want the coin to go. Hold the slab between your thumb and forefinger and tap on the corner edge, the seam area where it is about a 1/4 inch thick on a hard surface. I have never had a coin that I couldn't get back to the correct position. If the coin doesn't want to turn in the shortest direction,,,,, sometimes there may be a rough spot on the gasket which keeps it from turning,,,, then tap it the other way. I have turned coins more than 360 degrees in the holder many times. As long as you don't bang them around after that they stay just fine.

GrandAm imageimageimageimageimage
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof is below:

Check the cert number,,,, all the same coin just rotated 360 degree's by myself image

GrandAm imageimageimageimageimage
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    This has been a blast. Thanks everybody! I learned that I'm either really picky, or I'm not. I'll try the tapping technique tomorrow morning when I'm more sober (playing poker tonight w/the wife and some friends...)
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Good idea, not to smash your slabs against things whilst drunk.

Excellent call!

• Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about OCD..... rampant here .... goes right along with the paranoia..... lighten up, it is a hobby. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>BOO - WHO - WHO - imageimageimageimageimageimage

Do you guys REALLY think that PCGS slabs them crooked image

NO!!!! The coins rotate during shipment. The bouncing and banging during shipment causes the rotation. If you have ever hauled coins to and set-up at shows you will learn this quickly enough. Coins that were straight become rotated during the ride.

And yes, any coin can be rotated back to the correct position. I have aligned many coins by tapping on the edge of the holder in the direction you want the coin to go. Hold the slab between your thumb and forefinger and tap on the corner edge, the seam area where it is about a 1/4 inch thick on a hard surface. I have never had a coin that I couldn't get back to the correct position. If the coin doesn't want to turn in the shortest direction,,,,, sometimes there may be a rough spot on the gasket which keeps it from turning,,,, then tap it the other way. I have turned coins more than 360 degrees in the holder many times. As long as you don't bang them around after that they stay just fine.

GrandAm imageimageimageimageimage >>

yes i`m aware that they can be rotated. image

this is the same slab as posted above. image

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255

<< <i>I just did the tapping thing with my upside down Canadian quarter, and now the coin is right side up! Whaddya know! image >>

works wonders....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file