Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Those 30-coin wood PCGS storage boxes....

GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
I have been thinking of working on a particular year set that includes a total of 30 coins, if you include gold coins and all mints. So I have been thinking about trying to get one of those wood 30-coin storage boxes made by PCGS. However, there was always some talk about the glue or wood these boxes were made of, and the potential for that to cause the coins to tone or turn a different color in the holders while stored in the box.

Was anything ever concluded on this? Would the fumes or off-gassing of the glue or wood affect the coins? Any opinions? Thanks!

I included a picture of the box below.

Comments

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I really love all of these cool types of slab boxes and I think they're great for presentation. Long term storage however, I feel better about the Intercept Boxes. Now, if they only made an over-sized intercept box that one of these very decorative storage boxes can fit into for long term storage.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't risk long-term storage in it. However, if you wanted to present them for a short time or just occasionally see them in that box, then by all means get the box, but I'd keep it separate most of the time from the coins, keeping them in inert plastic boxes or intercept shield or the like.

The idea of keeping the wood box in a larger intercept shield container is problematic since some off-gassing, etc. would be trapped with the coins, inside the enclosure.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one. If you pay for shipping, I will be happy to (eventually) send it to you.
  • Options
    I have seen some of these (cherry)wood boxes , but am not sure if they are made by PCGS .
    May be able to research the manufacturer , and if I find further info , can post here .
    Home of quality widgets
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK it appears has the same high opinion as me.

The handle came off mine as I was removing it from the shipping box so it promptly went into the Goodwill pile. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one...and being a woodworker really have a POOR opinion of its construction. What a piece of S**T. Mine had fallen apart, the back had come loose and detatched BEFORE I even opened the box it came in.

I hate having to repair something new before I can even use it!

Glue...what glue?

Cherry is a very inert, low sap wood and an excellent choice for a storage box but Geez PCGS you gotta get a better company to make the thing.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't risk long-term storage in it. However, if you wanted to present them for a short time or just occasionally see them in that box, then by all means get the box, but I'd keep it separate most of the time from the coins, keeping them in inert plastic boxes or intercept shield or the like.

The idea of keeping the wood box in a larger intercept shield container is problematic since some off-gassing, etc. would be trapped with the coins, inside the enclosure. >>

So do you suppose that IF PCGS's name is on this box AND the box toned the coins in a bad way that PERHAPS PCGS might reimburse or replace the coin you might be "unhappy with".

I would think that PCGS has discussed this with the manufacturer since their name is on the box and they do sell them.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

I bought the 20 coin box. 5 years ago? When they were
    first offered, at any rate. I stored my wife's BD mint set in
    it. The coins have not turned, nor developed spots, and look
    exactly the same, no difference, from that first day.

That box, in turn, has been stored in my garage gun safe.

Ammo, oil, and guns, of course... And lots of coins, old stamps,
    my Navy Zippo lighter collection, and a bottle of champagne from
    our reception, 36 years ago, this month.

FWIW...
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>RYK it appears has the same high opinion as me.

The handle came off mine as I was removing it from the shipping box so it promptly went into the Goodwill pile. image >>

I was prepared to buy one until you said there was a handle on top... image

That's crappy. Why would you put a handle on that box?
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I would go for a pretty wooden box.

However, I am glad this forum is around. It may have just saved me some grief.
  • Options
    <<Cherry is a very inert, low sap wood and an excellent choice for a storage box but Geez PCGS you gotta get a better company to make the thing. >>

It was "cherry wood finish" and then "light walnut finish" if memory serves. The wood is bad enough - unknown finishes are potentially even worse. Felt, adhesives. Bad business. No wood is really suitable for coin storage in slabs or other. Are these finally not for sale anymore?? image

Eric

• Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of being redundant, I'm not a fan of display boxes. Theives seem to like coins. image
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    Hi there,

Me neither. I just ran across this looking at the old threads about these (and they were mahogany finish I believe), let alone the hygroscpoicity, unknown adhesives and felt and whatever else :

2manycoins2fewfunds - <<Let me warn everyone that I had a PCGS 30 coin mahogany box full of silver coins including a 1995-w ASE.
    After resting closed at room temp for 3-5 years there was definate toning of multiple coins including the 1995-W ASE.
    A light golden toning.................

I wouldn't store any blast white silver coins in a wooden box again............ >>

Best,
    Eric

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it pesonally...I have my Sackie MS collection in the 30 box.. and it is Great....!!!...image
    ......Larry........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file