Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which is worth more, in your opinion?

Here is the situation:

You come across two $5 Indians, both the same date. The first has glowing luster, and ultra-clean fields. However, the tips of the feathers on the reverse shows slight, but obvious rub. It is graded by PCGS AU-58. The second coin is not nearly as bright as the first, and shows many more marks. But, no rub is present, and it is obvious the coin is uncirculated. It is in an PCGS MS-63 holder. In your opinion, which coin should be worth more, and which coin would you rather own?

Comments

• Options
    I would think they'd be worth about the same.... I'd rather OWN the prettier one!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take the AU-58 over the scuffy MS-63 regardless of the price. I hate marked up coins.

As to price I'd expect to pay the MS-60 price for the AU-58. As for technical graded MS-63, that should be priced at a discount off MS-63 money.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The $2½ and $5 Indians are among the most difficult to grade US coins, IMO. I've seen many in MS holders that I would grade as AU, and many of them have minimal eye appeal. I'll take the AU58 in the scenario you presented.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    what mr. jones said.
    i'd go for the au58
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options

<< <i>I'd take the AU-58 over the scuffy MS-63 regardless of the price. I hate marked up coins.

As to price I'd expect to pay the MS-60 price for the AU-58. As for technical graded MS-63, that should be priced at a discount off MS-63 money. >>

So.... both likely worth around MS60 money??
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fields matter more to me on gold coins, so I would go with the 58.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd take the AU-58 over the scuffy MS-63 regardless of the price. I hate marked up coins.

As to price I'd expect to pay the MS-60 price for the AU-58. As for technical graded MS-63, that should be priced at a discount off MS-63 money. >>

• Options
    timcointimcoin Posts: 674
    I think I need to clear something up. The coin graded MS-63 is a legitimate MS-63 coin. In other words, it is accurately graded, so there really isn't a reason to price it at a discount. The coin graded AU-58, without the rub, would be, say, an MS-65 coin. I hope that makes sense.
  • Options

<< <i>I think I need to clear something up. The coin graded MS-63 is a legitimate MS-63 coin. In other words, it is accurately graded, so there really isn't a reason to price it at a discount. The coin graded AU-58, without the rub, would be, say, an MS-65 coin. I hope that makes sense. >>

It does make sense. And the scenario you've described depicts the 58 coin as having better eye appeal than the 63. So this question is all about eye appeal vs. technical grade.

IMO, eye appeal wins every time. I'd rather own the more eye appealing coin...and both coins should be valued about the same.
  • Options

<< <i>so there really isn't a reason to price it at a discount. >>

I would not pay full 63 money for a coin that looked terrible. The fact that the coin is technically graded accurately is only part of the equation.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    As always with these threads, I don't collect theoretical coins. Show me two real life coins that meet the specs, with real life auction prices, and/or dealer asking prices, and I can make a reasonable hypothetical decision. Personally, no way I'm going to pay MS63 money for a $5 Indian in an AU58 holder. In the real world there is no way a seller is going to sell a MS63 graded $5 Indian for MS60 money.

I'm not that confident in my grading abilities and I don't have any special dealer connections. If it is for sale, and my conclusion is correct, odds are that sharper eyes than mine would likely have found it long ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file