Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ronald Reagan Gold and Silver Coins Proposed

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ronald Reagan Gold and Silver Coins Proposed
By Mike Unser on Jul 29th, 2009 in Coin or Numismatic News, Proposed or Recent Coinage Legislation

The relative silence on the coin legislation front was broken Friday with the introduction of a new bill seeking to celebrate former President Ronald Reagan’s life with gold and silver coins.

The Ronald Reagan Commemorative Coin Act of 2009, or H.R. 3341 for short, is the first bill in July and one of only a handful in the last three months that have been brought forward in the U.S. House of Representatives.

H.R. 3341 would authorize the United States Mint to strike up to 50,000 $5 gold coins and a maximum of 300,000 $1 silver coins in 2013. It was introduced by Rep. Robert Latta [R-OH] and has the current support of 29 cosponsors.

In atypical fashion, the bill is more succinct than most when it comes to coin design. The obverse or heads side of the coin would bear an image of Ronald Reagan as most would expect. The unusual details comes with specific directions for the opposite side of the coin.

The coin would "bear a design on the reverse side that is similar to the depiction of an American eagle carrying an olive branch, flying above a nest containing another eagle and hatchlings," H.R. 3341 states

Modern commemorative coins always include surcharges. In this case, $35 per gold coin and $10 per silver. These would be paid to the Secretary to the Army Emergency Fund to be used for the purposes of providing financial assistance to:

(1) An individual who is an Army active duty soldier, single or married, or a dependent of such a soldier.
(2) A member of the Army National Guard or Army Reserve on continuous active duty under title 10, United States Code, for more than 30 consecutive days, or a dependent of such a member.
(3) A soldier retired from active duty because of longevity or physical disability, including any Army National Guard or Army Reserve soldier who is in receipt of Army retired pay, or any authorized dependent of such soldier.
(4) A surviving spouse or dependent child of a soldier who died while on active duty or after retirement.

Bills of the same name were introduced in the 108th and 109th Congress, but failed to pass through both houses. The latest bill within the 111st Congress has been referred to the House Committee on Financial Services.

For coin bills to become law, they must pass both in the House and Senate, and get signed by the President.

CoinNews Link

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a gold american eagle reverse?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    why does ronald reagan deserve a coin?
    1887 P Morgans Please!!!
    My collections!!!! : : Photos

My new VAMmer facebook group! : Silver Dollar VAMmers
  • Options

<< <i>why does ronald reagan deserve a coin? >>

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Oh I don't know, GREATEST President ever?
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't Reagan the most evil, rascally President like ever?; and............. a Republicanimage

A lot of people will not like the idea of RR on a coin. But then again, a lot of people will like the idea.

If he makes it onto a coin, that will just perpetuate the 101 year old trend of placing Dead Presidents on coins. Enough already, go back to allegorical figures of Liberty.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh I don't know, GREATEST President ever? >>

Let's not exaggerate. I would say the greatest president of the 20th century. The left hates him for bringing about the collapse of the communist Soviet Union.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I stand by my statement.... GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER....
  • Options

<< <i>I stand by my statement.... GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER.... >>

Better than that great Republican President Lincoln?

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank goodness that Nancy Reagan has been wholeheartedly against putting Ronald on any coin whatsoever. Even though I admire the man and think he was the best president in my lifetime, I do not want to see another president on our coinage, even a commemorative.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    For the record, I'm a Democrat... Andrew Jackson comes a close second...
  • Options

<< <i>Thank goodness that Nancy Reagan has been wholeheartedly against putting Ronald on any coin whatsoever. Even though I admire the man and think he was the best president in my lifetime, I do not want to see another president on our coinage, even a commemorative. >>

Nancy was only against taking FDR off the dime to make room for Regan.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Now, I don't mean any disrespect to Reagan. Except that i'd argue as a Californian that Arnold is the bestest president we've had so far.

Here's my gut reaction to yet another commemorative:

Adam Sandler Gold and Silver Coins Proposed
    By Adam Lane on Jul 29th, 2009 in Idiocy embedded in Fake News, Proposed or Recent Coinage Legislation

The relative silence on the coin legislation front was broken Friday with the introduction of a new bill seeking to celebrate actor Adam Sandler's life with gold and silver coins.

The Adam Sandler Comedy Coin Act of 2032, or H.R. 943,233,110 for short, is the first bill in July and one of only a handful in the last three months that have been brought forward in the U.S. and C. House of Representatives.

H.R. 943,233,110 would authorize the United States Mint to strike up to 50,000,000 $5 gold coins and a maximum of 300,000,000,000 $1 silver coins in 2034. It was introduced by Rep. Joseph Bambrick [R-China] and has the current support of 420 co-conspirators.

In atypical fashion, the bill is more succinct than most when it comes to coin design. The obverse or heads side of the coin would bear an image of the infant Adam Sandler as most would expect. The unusual details comes with specific directions for the opposite side of the coin.

The coin would "bear a design on the reverse side that is similar to the depiction of a Ferret carrying a cigar, walking by a pub containing prostitutes and pimps," H.R. 943,233,110 states

Modern commemorative coins always include surcharges. In this case, $350 per gold coin and $250 per silver. These would be paid to the Secretary to the Bureau of putting Things on top of other Things to be used for the purposes of providing financial assistance to:

(1) An individual who is attempting to stack items in a pile above eight feet tall.
    (2) A member of the Bureau who has been injured by a stack of items that fell.
    (3) A member retired from active duty because of boredom.
    (4) A surviving spouse or dependent child of a member who feels like spreading the wealth.

Bills of the same name were introduced in the 1108th and 1109th Congress, but failed to pass through both houses. The latest bill within the 1111st Congress has been referred to the House Committee on Spending Money.

For coin bills to become law, they must be increasingly ridiculous.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread needs less cheerleaders and more historians.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    I agree that we should stop putting dead Prezzies' on coins
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Biggest deficit spending president, maybe.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

<< <i>

Biggest deficit spending president, maybe. >>

You haven't been paying attention lately, have you?image

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread needs less cheerleaders and more historians. >>

Why trouble your mind with history when you can safely lock it away in the comfort of dogma?
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I would love to see a Reagan commemorative. While personally my fav President, any President deserves our respect and a commemorative after their demise.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>

<< <i>why does ronald reagan deserve a coin? >>

image >>

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    well, Kennedy has had one for 45 years for only three years of service I don't know why Reagan couldn't get at least a commem.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obama secretly admires Reagan. Remember how he got into trouble when he invoked Reagan's name during the primary campaign?

Reagan brought a certain optimism to the country in the 1980s, and I think even people who disagree with all his policies recognize that.
  • Options

<< <i> ,,, any President deserves our respect and a commemorative after their demise. >>

And Vice Presidents also deserve our respect.. I can't wait for the striking of the Spiro Agnew "nattering nabobs of negativity" commemorative and the Aaron Burr "sharpshooter" commemorative.

Actually, don't "any" governors deserve our respect also? Let's get moving on the Rod Blagojevich commemorative. Heck, how about the Elliot Spitzer coin? Wouldn't you all agree that Mark Sanford deserves a commemorative? Off course they can't actually be struck until after their demise - or does demise have a new meaning?

Get all those ugly old designs off coins and replace them with elected officials; they are all deserving of respect image .
  • Options

<< <i>This thread needs less cheerleaders and more historians. >>

Speaking of history.........................

imageimage

Statement on Signing the Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985
    December 17, 1985

I have given my approval today to S. 1639, the "Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985." I have previously indicated support for legislation to permit the Secretary of the Treasury to mint and sell gold bullion coins. Indeed, when I issued Executive Order No. 12532, concerning South Africa, on September 9, 1985, I specifically requested that the Treasury conduct a study "regarding the feasibility of... expeditiously seeking legislative authority to accomplish the goal of issuing such coins." Legislation prepared pursuant to this directive was under review within the administration at the time S. 1639 was passed by the Congress. Although I would have preferred that the Congress defer action on S. 1639 until the administration's proposal could have been submitted and duly considered, I support the principal objectives of this legislation.

I must note, however, that certain provisions are troublesome. Specifically, enactment of this legislation may raise questions about the willingness of the United States to honor its international obligations. In this regard, my administration will strongly support the prompt enactment of appropriate legislative clarifications, should any prove to be necessary. In addition, I am also concerned about a provision of this legislation that would effectively prohibit the Secretary of the Treasury from using gold held in the United States' reserves in producing gold coins. In my view, this restriction denies the United States a potentially major source of revenue. At a time when we have committed ourselves to eliminating the budget deficit over the next several years, a limitation of this nature is especially unfortunate. Therefore, I am instructing the Department of the Treasury to work closely with the Congress to provide the Secretary of the Treasury with authority in minting gold coins to use gold from sources, including the Nation's reserves, that the Secretary deems necessary or appropriate.

Link
  • Options
    Long ago, back in the Old Country, coins were made with the portraits Our Deformed Rulers:

You probably didn't call this man "Hogmouth" to his face.

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I suggest the following for the obverse design.

National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Biggest deficit spending president, maybe. >>

lol, Obama beats all of em and he is just started
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The proposal is hardly worth discussing when you consider the current make up of the House and Senate. The bill will never come to a vote.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>I suggest the following for the obverse design.

image >>

Heh! Bedtime for Democracy.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Perhaps we should have a series of dollars ,honoring the

greatest con men and Ponzi schemers in history.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I want a Cheyney coin! He was a Reaganesque hero in the best Republican mold -crushing the US economy a biggie for RR and the "C" man both with theivery to boot. Wait, wait, I want a Haliburton coin and a GM coin also.

And how dare we have Kennedy (the last president with any balls) or Franklin Roosevelt on coins?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps we should have a series of dollars ,honoring the

greatest con men and Ponzi schemers in history. >>

Right On Bear....image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest deficit spending president, maybe.

Oh my! Now that's really funny! No wonder we're in trouble.

I've said it before, Reagan's administration did us a favor by authorizing new gold bullion coinage.

He did defeat the Soviet Union, without firing a shot I might add.

He made his share of mistakes as well, including the amnesty for 3 million illegals and by not retaliating in Lebanon. If he had our Marines in there, they should have been doing something in the first place, besides "peacekeeping".

JFK was my President, and so was Reagan - but if you compare their accomplishments, JFK got a coin for being assasinated and not much else, while Reagan took us out of Carter's recession, and got rid of the most regressive tax regime in US history.

On a coin? I'm not sure that would really be much of an honor these days. The way things are going in Congress, to be voted in the affirmative would be more of an insult.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

<< <i>I stand by my statement.... GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER.... >>

I stand by my statement image
  • Options
    MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    I'm all for RR, it's better then putting Clinton and Lewinsky on a coin. I really don't want to see dead presidents on coins anymore, but commemoratives are fine. Go back to Liberty on the circulating coins.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not quite sure if I would rank Reagan as the greatest president, but he sure was the best president in my lifetime - ie Johnson up to the present day. I have not any doubt that Reagan loved the USA more passionately than any other president in recent memory.

<< <i>Well I've said it before and I'll say it again — America's best days are yet to come. Our proudest moments are yet to be. Our most glorious achievements are just ahead. >>

No president could whip up a speech like Reagan could.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Whether you liked the man or not, the proceeds for the coin make it worthwhile alone. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it.

For my own two cents I served in the military under both the Carter and Reagan Administrations (and up to the last Bush as well), and it was like night and day. The military went from a poorly trained (on average), Vietnam defeatist attitude, to a military full of pride, professionalism, and high morale.
  • Options
    HERO WORSHIP

Unconsciously we all have a standard by which we measure other men, and if we examine closely we find that this standard is a very simple one and is this: we admire them, we envy them, for great qualities which we ourselves lack. Hero worship consists in just that. Our heroes are the men who do things which we recognize with regret and sometimes with a secret shame that we cannot do. We find not much in ourselves to admire, we are always privately wanting to be like somebody else. If everybody was satisfied with himself there would be no heroes.
    - Mark Twain's Autobiography

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Who is that giving the bottle to Bonzo?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Who is that giving the bottle to Bonzo? >>

The Gipper!!!!!!

• Options
    Reagan Commems Proposed for 2013
    By David L. Ganz, Numismatic News
    August 06, 2009

Commemorative coins honoring former President Ronald W. Reagan are being proposed in Congress.

A half eagle $5 gold piece and silver dollar would be introduced in 2013. The proposal calls for 50,000 gold $5 coins and 300,000 silver dollars.

A bill authorizing the coins has been introduced by Rep. Robert Latta, R-Ohio, who is joined by 30 co-sponsors.

The proposal calls for 50,000 gold $5 coins and 300,000 silver dollars.

Reagan, who died June 4, 2004, at age 93, remains the center of controversy as politicians for and against his commemoration on coins and paper money take partisan sides on a variety of proposals that have surfaced since his death, and on some that had been previously proposed.

Just two weeks after he died, former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, R-MS, declared in a New York Times Sunday Magazine interview, "I am an advocate of having a gold dollar with Reagan's picture on it and calling it the Ronnie. The Canadians have the Loonie, and we can have the Ronnie," he said.

Meanwhile, Roll Call newspaper, a daily presence on Capitol Hill, reported on Republican party members efforts to put Reagan's effigy on the dime, the half dollar, the $10 bill, $20 bill, "Mount Rushmore - and are we forgetting anything else?"

In 2001, Grover Norquist, chairman of the Reagan Legacy Project, who also claimed to be "spoiling for a fight" in an effort to carve Reagan's face onto Mount Rushmore, had a more serious plan: keeping alive the late U.S. Senator Paul Coverdell's bid to put the Gipper on the $10 bill.

The Wall Street Journal quoted Norquist as saying that "It would be a way to honor both the president and the currency." It went on to editorialize that it "Might be nice for taxpayers to have on their money a man who appreciated how hard they worked for it."

Ronald Wilson Reagan, the 40th American president, headed an administration that probably did more to shape contemporary numismatics than any before or since. Nearly 50 key numismatic measures were inked into law with his signature; presidential executive orders were signed, and policies of generations gone by discarded to be replaced by those with dramatic difference.

Precious metals as they are today owe their existence to the Gold Commission established under the aegis of Reagan. It was more than a ploy to appease hard-money troglites or money managers; it was a philosophical difference that separated the Democratic Party from neo-conservatives.

Commemorative coinage's modern golden age blossomed under Reagan when, for two generations, Treasury opposed their issuance. They were swept away in the Reagan years and the proceeds rebuilt the Statue of Liberty and funded the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles without extensive government bail-outs.

The cent lost its coppery core (and was replaced with a veneer) in the Reagan years. National Coin Week was given a presidential proclamation, affording recognition to an event sponsored by the American Numismatic Association since 1924 virtually without government involvement. Gold coins from the Soviet Union were banned from import, as were South African krugerrands.

The Reagan years also saw a plethora of national gold medals to augment the budding commemorative coin market. Great Americans such as entertainer Danny Thomas, former president Harry S. Truman, former first lady Lady Bird Johnson, and foreign dignitaries such as Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands found their way onto America's national medals.

The South African krugerrand was the world's best selling gold bullion coin until anti-apartheid movements in the mid-1980s took some of the glitter off the coin. Some 40 million pieces had been produced and nearly half of them were imported into the United States.

Difficulties with the racial apartheid policies of South Africa caused political consternation, and the Krugerrand became an important symbol that opponents of apartheid sought to ban, in order to use an economic weapon against the South African government.

As Congress moved toward a legislative ban on the krugerrand, Reagan took the matter out of the hands of Congress by issuing an executive order that effectively banned future importation of the coin. He also authorized a ban on imports of Soviet gold coins.

Replacing the banned gold coins was simple. On Dec. 17, 1985, Reagan signed the Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985, which created gold eagle coins, and the silver bullion coin that has since sold millions of ounces of precious metal to the American people.

There were down sides to the Reagan market philosophy. The Tax Reform Act of 1981 banned coins from individual retirement accounts - and it has taken nearly an entire generation to get the discussion on the point back on the table.

If there is a major Reagan legacy in the numismatic field it is in the field of commemorative coinage, where his U.S. Treasurer, Angela M. ("Bay") Buchanan and mint director, Donna Pope, crusaded to change 50 years or more of Treasury opposition to the concept.

Reagan's legacy continues to be visible today in the coin designs that are now on the verge of change; his lesser government may have become a greater government, but the numismatic end products will endure the tests of time.

Numismaster Link
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't Reagan the most evil, rascally President like ever?; and............. a Republicanimage >>

I don't recall....
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Setting politics aside...

In my opinion, if Reagan signed the act legalizing ownership of gold coins, he deserves to be on one.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and.... wasn't a consensus developing on here about new product fatigue?

I know the mint issues a certain number of commems... I don't know how far out they are planned... I hope this, if made, is added in the normal position a new design would be instead of placed in a quickly coming year's existing list.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Ronaldus Magnus on a coin? image

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt are on my short list of presidents deserving coins soon.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hated Reagan then and now. But I have no problem having him on a commemorative coin.

If it were a circulating issue, I would be bothered. Let those who like him have the option of buying a coin if they wish. He was important to many Americans, and that's what commemorative coins are for.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a compromise, Warner Bros can issue a DVD Special Collectors Edition entitled "The Great Films of Ronald Reagan"

Instead, lets see some of the patterns that never made it

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file