Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card Savers (I know, it's been discussed)

Hi all,

I've reviewed some of the older threads and see that PSA say's the card savers are recycled like any other plastic. Has anyone ever requested that they be returned with your graded cards? They could throw the same amount of card savers into the package when it's ready to be returned. They don't have to be your original card savers, as long as the count was right.

I sent in a rather large order to BGS last year and requested that they return the card savers and the count was right down to the exact one. Some had stickers or markings and obviously weren't my originals, but it didn't matter to me.

Just wondering if anyone has asked and what the response was...

Rodney

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Never have done that.

It might be extra work for the grader and put him
    in a worse mood than he is already in.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Heck, the minimum wage receptionist can count them out of the recycle pile as far as I'm concerned.

<< <i>Never have done that.

in a worse mood than he is already in. >>

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Heck, the minimum wage receptionist can count them out............. >>

Your issue is a petty one, and that unnecessary comment about the receptionist's pay rate is just plain ignorant.
  • Options
    I agree, it's a petty point I've brought up, but my thinking was that if collectors could get back the card savers without much extra effort, that it would be a nice thing to be able to save a few pennies here and there.

As far as the pay rate comment, I guess I didn't intend to be "plain ignorant". Although I have never paid an in person visit to PSA, I had visions in my head of an office with a temp worker sitting behind the desk answering a phone. After second thought, I wouldn't think this would be the case with an organization of such magnitude as PSA, but who the heck knows these days. Sorry if I touched a nerve....

<< <i>

<< <i>Heck, the minimum wage receptionist can count them out............. >>

Your issue is a petty one, and that unnecessary comment about the receptionist's pay rate is just plain ignorant. >>

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I happen to agree with the OP. In fact, I think it's a terrific idea.

I don't think it would be too much to ask for PSA to return the CS1s.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I agree. I also think you should be able to ask them to return the box you shipped the cards in along with any packing material. They should also be willing to reimburse you for any ink you used in filling out the submission forms and mailing label.
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    wow maybe they have a deal with UltraPro or Cardboard Gold.... image

I could careless
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if they do it or not, but if I was a grader I would have a good pair of scissors and cut the right edge of the CS off so I could very easily remove the card quickly, reduce the possibility of damage and save my cuticles.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Heck, the minimum wage receptionist can count them out of the recycle pile as far as I'm concerned.

<< <i>Never have done that.

in a worse mood than he is already in. >>

>>

Do you make min wage? How much per year are you going to save with this "new program"? If you did 100 subs a year (and im guessing you dont), you are saving about $5.00.
  • Options

<< <i>Your issue is a petty one, and that unnecessary comment about the receptionist's pay rate is just plain ignorant. >>

He is apperantly a Georgia fan so didn't know any better. I'm surprised he actually figured out how to turn on the computer. image
  • Options
    I am a n00b and I too asked the offensive question "do we get our card savers back when we submit" and was widely mocked for it.

I understand mocking people who ask questions, that's what Stern Fan Network is for, and that's why I don't post there. But I don't understand what is so offensive about wanting to know if we get our little holders back when we send cards to PSA. I've never done a submission before so I don't know.

I generally like the tone and temperment of this board, but if the prevailing wisdom is that we should mock our fellow posters for differences of opinion or for inexperiences, I'm ready, willing and able.....

and I'm making a list.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If you label your CS1 with a sticker (per PSA's request) then most likely they're already ruined with sticky stuff anyway. I don't want mine back.

TheTalkingWalnut: I'm a HUGE Stern fan, but I've never been on SFN... never wanted to.
  • Options
    Walnut,
    Here's where the mocking/sarcasm comes in: When you have a card graded, you're essentially paying for $5-$6 for air. The card is the same, you're just paying a company to tell you their opinion of it. It's like paying somebody to taste your hamburger and tell you how delicious it is on a scale from 1 to 10. Card grading is a completely unnecessary expenditure, unless you are grading cards that have a potential counterfeit and don't know how to tell the difference.

Since you've already decided to pay $5-$6 for essentially nothing, to come back and say "I would like my 4 cent Card Saver back" is pretty laughable. If the 4 cents really means that much to you, card grading (or the sportscard hobby as a whole) is probably not right for you.
  • Options
    I'm not Walnut, but wanted to chime in (again). I understand we're paying for an opinion/essentially nothing. In my original post, I mentioned saving "pennies" if it didnt' require much effort. I wasn't as much thinking of it in terms of a huge money savings, but I guess more of a convenience factor. Granted, it's not a big convenience or time saver, but it would be cool to not have to look around or pick up more savers at the store. I made the original post, but it doesn't mean that much to me in the grand scheme. It was more of a question, not a debate on the merits of doing or not. I figured there would be some mocking, but I'm laughing along with it. I'm just having fun here.

<< <i>Walnut,
    Here's where the mocking/sarcasm comes in: When you have a card graded, you're essentially paying for $5-$6 for air. The card is the same, you're just paying a company to tell you their opinion of it. It's like paying somebody to taste your hamburger and tell you how delicious it is on a scale from 1 to 10. Card grading is a completely unnecessary expenditure, unless you are grading cards that have a potential counterfeit and don't know how to tell the difference.

Since you've already decided to pay $5-$6 for essentially nothing, to come back and say "I would like my 4 cent Card Saver back" is pretty laughable. If the 4 cents really means that much to you, card grading (or the sportscard hobby as a whole) is probably not right for you. >>

• Options
    Yeah, I was going to respond with something witty about the football series record with LSU, but upon looking it up, I'll have to back up and find something else to say. 11-14 doesn't give me much leverage there.

I know! Who really likes purple and yellow? Horrible colors!

<< <i>

<< <i>Your issue is a petty one, and that unnecessary comment about the receptionist's pay rate is just plain ignorant. >>

He is apperantly a Georgia fan so didn't know any better. I'm surprised he actually figured out how to turn on the computer. image >>

• Options
    Let's see:

No

I don't know, but it'd be pennies, but in the original post, all I was asking about was if anyone had inquired and what the response was. I'm not sure where the "new program" came from.

And I do

<< <i>

Do you make min wage? How much per year are you going to save with this "new program"? If you did 100 subs a year (and im guessing you dont), you are saving about $5.00. >>

• Options
    I'm not Walnut, but wanted to chime in (again). I understand we're paying for an opinion/essentially nothing. In my original post, I mentioned saving "pennies" if it didnt' require much effort. I wasn't as much thinking of it in terms of a huge money savings, but I guess more of a convenience factor. Granted, it's not a big convenience or time saver, but it would be cool to not have to look around or pick up more savers at the store. I made the original post, but it doesn't mean that much to me in the grand scheme. It was more of a question, not a debate on the merits of doing or not. I figured there would be some mocking, but I'm laughing along with it. I'm just having fun here.

No offense meant and I'm glad your taking it that way. It's a fair enough question I guess, and if you're around long enough you'll figure out not to take anything I, or anybody else around here, really has to say. There's a thing in my brain that won't allow me to let stuff like this go without some type of remark. Kind of like if I'm at a restaurant and someone asks for extra bread to take home, or the lady at the grocery store who's holding up the line because her .50 off Downy coupon isn't ringing up. People who waste significant amounts of their lives to try and save pennies truly fascinate me.
  • Options
  • Options
    Lee once sent me a lot of cards packaged in between two torn bubble mailers because he was to cheap to buy a large enough mailer.

j/k with ya Lee, but really that happened.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry this happened to you.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Lee once sent me some card savers wrapped with some cards. He said it was a metaphor but it really happened.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Let's see:

No

I don't know, but it'd be pennies, but in the original post, all I was asking about was if anyone had inquired and what the response was. I'm not sure where the "new program" came from.

And I do

<< <i>

Do you make min wage? How much per year are you going to save with this "new program"? If you did 100 subs a year (and im guessing you dont), you are saving about $5.00. >>

>>

"They could throw the same amount of card savers into the package when it's ready to be returned. They don't have to be your original card savers, as long as the count was right."

Sorry, but it seems as though you are proposing some type of "new program" right here.

"
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Did Georgia play Alabama last year in football? We usually don't since we are in seperate divisions.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    Lee once sent me a lot of cards packaged in between two torn bubble mailers because he was to cheap to buy a large enough mailer. j/k with ya Lee, but really that happened.

That was more laziness than anything else. Why take 15 minutes to run to Staples and buy bubble mailers when you can spend 45 minutes scrounging around the house trying to MacGuyver one together?
  • Options
    I can see how it seems like that, but I was not intending to sound as if I was proposing a program. This was an experience with another company and my intention was to show that I didn't think it was a big deal or effort to do this.

<< <i>

"They could throw the same amount of card savers into the package when it's ready to be returned. They don't have to be your original card savers, as long as the count was right."

Sorry, but it seems as though you are proposing some type of "new program" right here.

" >>

• Options
    Yeah, that was a bad weekend for me! It was in Athens and UGA was down 31-0 at the half, but despite scoring 30 second half points, still lost. Bama was really good last year and I expect more of the same this year.

<< <i>Did Georgia play Alabama last year in football? We usually don't since we are in seperate divisions. >>

• Options
    yanyak5yanyak5 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i> People who waste significant amounts of their lives to try and save pennies truly fascinate me. >>

If you picked up 1 penny a day....every day for your entire life...for 55 years....You would have made $200.75 ...It takes 2 seconds to pick that penny up....which estimates to be 11 hours and 15 minutes of work...

Thats $18.25 per hour of work... and just imagine if you picked up nickels, dimes and quarters too...

Fascinating huh?

Looking for an 8x10 auto photo of junior celebrating his 100 HR. lmk!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I have be calling PSA for the better part of 15 years and its the same woman that
    answers for as long as I remember. I doubt she is a temp or min. wage.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Lee. People will spend way too many of their valuable hours off work doing things to save a few pennies. I see Escalades waiting in line at Costco for 45 minutes to save 10 cents a gallon on gas. 30 gallons times 10 cents is $3.00

Isn't your Saturday afternoon worth more than that?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> People who waste significant amounts of their lives to try and save pennies truly fascinate me. >>

If you picked up 1 penny a day....every day for your entire life...for 55 years....You would have made $200.75 ...It takes 2 seconds to pick that penny up....which estimates to be 11 hours and 15 minutes of work...

Thats $18.25 per hour of work... and just imagine if you picked up nickels, dimes and quarters too...

Fascinating huh? >>

lol. maybe the best post ever.

• Options

<< <i>

Fascinating huh? >>

Your Jewish, right?

Edited to add: The $200.75 wouldn't be worth the wear and tear your back would get from it!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Fascinating huh? >>

Your Jewish, right?

Edited to add: The $200.75 wouldn't be worth the wear and tear your back would get from it! >>

Edit to delete your racist comment. ^
    Collector Focus

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Your Jewish, right?

Edited to add: The $200.75 wouldn't be worth the wear and tear your back would get from it![/q

You my friend, have just opened up a huge can of worms for yourself.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with Lee. People will spend way too many of their valuable hours off work doing things to save a few pennies. I see Escalades waiting in line at Costco for 45 minutes to save 10 cents a gallon on gas. 30 gallons times 10 cents is $3.00

Isn't your Saturday afternoon worth more than that? >>

You don't understand. Sure 3$ isn't much, but if you were to save 3$ every saturday for the rest of your life, you would save a lot of money. That's why the rich stay rich. Take it 156$ that you saved at the end of the year and buy some cards.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...That's why the rich stay rich..."

////////////////////////

VERY true.

The most thrifty folks I know all have more money than
    they can ever spend.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    That's why the rich stay rich.

The rich stay rich because they have stockpiled money that they don't need to live, invest it in no-loss propositions and it keeps compounding. Not because they bend over to pick up pennies or save 5 cents on a gallon of gas.

• Options

<< <i>That's why the rich stay rich.

The rich stay rich because they have stockpiled money that they don't need to live, invest it in no-loss propositions and it keeps compounding. Not because they bend over to pick up pennies or save 5 cents on a gallon of gas. >>

Saving money is a part of staying rich. You never become rich over night (unless you hit the lotto..) and your initial $5 had to have been earned some way...How you invest that $5 or choose to grow it will determine how fast you become rich....all the while adding pennies and nickles to it will increase the value of you investment. Sure you may never become a millionaire by picking up change...But you will make some money over the course of your life. The point is...Dont mock someone for trying to save money. That has to be the dumbest thing in the world to do....
  • Options
    Dont mock someone for trying to save money. That has to be the dumbest thing in the world to do....

To people like you there is no such thing as being cheap, only thrifty. People who tip poorly at restaurants or complain about prices at a flea market are also trying to save money, yet every ounce of my being says they deserve to be made fun of. I would say someone who makes a real effort to save 4 cents on a $6 purchase falls into this category.
  • Options
    Tipping poorly is not someone who is trying to save money. If that was the case they wouldn't be eating out.
    To me they are either upset with the service (big shocker right) or they are just tight. I personally don't think 20%
    is too high but it is if the service reeks! Being tight is another topic and has nothing to do with being rich.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    "...they deserve to be made fun of. I would say someone who makes a real effort to save 4 cents on a $6 purchase falls into this category."

OK, CDs...haven't you ridiculed the OP and me enough by now? I think we get your point. Can you please stop with the sarcastic attacks already?

Nick Marnell

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, that was a bad weekend for me! It was in Athens and UGA was down 31-0 at the half, but despite scoring 30 second half points, still lost. Bama was really good last year and I expect more of the same this year.

<< <i>Did Georgia play Alabama last year in football? We usually don't since we are in seperate divisions. >>

>>

was a great night for me. I didn't go to the game but went downtown and watched it at Classic City, got really drunk, and went home with a supermodel.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Your Jewish, right?

Edited to add: The $200.75 wouldn't be worth the wear and tear your back would get from it![/q

You my friend, have just opened up a huge can of worms for yourself. >>

Can we maybe not drag the worms into this??? image
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Fascinating huh? >>

I don't waste time bending over unless it's at least a $20, and even then it has to be on heads.
  • Options
    I would never consider 'not' picking up a penny. I'll even go out of my way to do it.

It won't be long now and I'll have my second 5 gallon water bottle full of them.

EDIT: All the pennies in my water bottles aren't just from picking them up... just sayin.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't waste time bending over unless it's at least a $20, >>

• Options

<< <i>I don't waste time bending over unless it's at least a $20 >>

Did you really just say that? Tough to make a living if you only charge $20.
  • Options
    I read this once about Bill Gates:

Consider that he made this money in the 25 years or so since Microsoft was founded in 1975. If you presume that he has worked 14 hours a day on every business day of the year since then, that means he's been making money at a staggering million dollars per hour, around $300 per second.

Which means that if, on his way into the office, should he see or drop a $1000 bill on the ground, it's just not worth his time to bend over and pick it up. He would make more just heading off to work.

We're assuming about 4 seconds to bend down and pocket the bill. Of course he can afford to hire people to follow him and pick up any $1000 bills he may drop.

Think about 4SC and all the cards they submit. I am sure they get a great deal on CS I's but if PSA gave them to them for free they could probably pay everyone Christmas (or Hanukkah) bonuses.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Allen's post reminded me of this thing I read somewhere years ago...

Michael Jordan made over $300,000 a game. That equals $10,000 a minute, at an average of 30 minutes per game.
    With $40 million in endorsements, he made $178,100 a day, working or not.
    If he sleeps 7 hours a night, he makes $52,000 every night while visions of sugarplums dance in his head.
    If he goes to see a movie, it’ll cost him $9.50, but he’ll make $18,550 while he’s there.
    If he decides to have a 5 minute egg, he’ll make $618 while boiling it.
    He makes $7,415/hr more than minimum wage.
    He’d make $3,710 while watching each episode of Friends.
    If he wanted to save up for a new Acura SLX (about $90,000) it would take him a whole 12 hours.
    If someone were to hand him his salary and endorsement money, they would have to do it at the rate of $2.00 every second.
    He’d probably pay around $200 for a nice round of golf, but will be reimbursed around $30,000 during that round.
    Assuming he puts the federal maximum of 15% of his income into a tax deferred account (401k), he will hit the federal cap of $9500 at 8:30 a.m. on January 1st.
    If you were given a penny for every 10 dollars he made, you’d be living comfortably at $65,000 a year.
    He’d make about $19.60 while watching the 100 meter dash in the Olympics.
    He’d make about $15,600 during the Boston Marathon.
    While the common person is spending about $20 for a meal in his trendy Chicago restaurant, he’d pull in about $5600.
    In his last year, he made more than twice as much as all U.S. past presidents for all of their terms combined.… However…
    … If Jordan saves 100% of his income for the next 250 years, he’ll still have less than Bill Gates has today.
    Game over. Nerd wins.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I am a penny pickerupper and one day I saw what looks like a pile of ashes and butts with some pennies.
    I kicked it around picked up around 25 pennies and a diamond ear ring. I went to the mall and got 40 bucks for it.
    Thank you
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't waste time bending over unless it's at least a $20 >>

Did you really just say that? Tough to make a living if you only charge $20. >>