Home Sports Talk
Options

Bye Bye Bernazard

lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
Updated: July 27, 2009, 4:31 PM ET
Mets fire executive Bernazard

The New York Mets fired vice president for player development Tony Bernazard, who has been implicated in recent outbursts involving the team's minor leaguers and closer Francisco Rodriguez.

Omar Minaya announced Bernazard's dismissal at a news conference Monday afternoon in which the general manager and New York Daily News reporter Adam Rubin squared off after Minaya inferred that Rubin wrote stories to try to get Bernazard fired so he could take his job.

Mets executive Tony Bernazard reportedly challenged the club's Double-A team to fight him during a recent postgame tirade.
The news conference took a bizarre turn when Minaya said that Rubin, who wrote the initial story about Bernazard's confrontation in Binghamton, had lobbied in the past to get a personnel job with the Mets.

Rubin told Minaya he was "despicable" for implying that Rubin wrote a story to get Bernazard fired so he could get a job with the Mets.

In an interview with reporters after the news conference, Rubin said he had never asked Minaya directly for a job in baseball.

"I don't know how I'm going to cover the team now," Rubin said.

Earlier in the news conference, Minaya said that the incidents that led to Bernazard's firing "reflects upon my watch, and I take full responsiblity."

Bernazard reportedly pulled off his shirt and challenged the Double-A Binghamton Mets in the tirade, about 10 days before the All-Star break. He in particular targeted middle infield prospect Jose Coronado, according to the report.

Minaya said he told Bernazard of his dismissal Monday morning after notifying Mets ownership of the move Sunday.

"It was tough, because nobody likes to be fired," Minaya said. "He was not happy."

The 52-year-old Bernazard had held his position since December 2004.

Bernazard has been fingered in the media as a key influence behind the firings last season of manager Willie Randolph and pitching coach Rick Peterson.

This year, Bernazard drew criticism because the Mets' farm system has been unable to supply players to replace injured stars such as center fielder Carlos Beltran, first baseman Carlos Delgado, pitcher John Maine, shortstop Jose Reyes and setup man J.J. Putz. The depleted Mets have nine players on the disabled list.

The New York Daily News reported last week that at a recent game at Citi Field, Bernazard, who wanted a seat behind home plate that was occupied by an Arizona Diamondbacks scout, unleashed a profanity-laced tirade against a subordinate who suggested he wait until the half-inning was over to take the seat.

Olney: Mets Face Executive Hurdle
The perception within the Mets that Tony Bernazard held more practical power than GM Omar Minaya is crucial, because it affects how others do their jobs, Buster Olney writes. Blog »

In addition, the New York Post reported that Bernazard and Rodriguez had a heated verbal confrontation last week, when the Mets were in Atlanta.

"Yeah [it happened]. but I'm not going to talk about that,'' Rodriguez said Wednesday, according to the Post. "Not going to get into it."

Bernazard played 10 seasons for Montreal, the Chicago White Sox, Seattle, Cleveland and Detroit.

From 1992 until he joined the Mets, Bernazard was a special assistant to the executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association.

Comments

• Options
    He should go to WWE, they hire old guys. "If ya smelllllllllllllllllllllll what the Zard is cookin'".
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    All of their problems are solved now....

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    That guy has a couple of screws loose I think!
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    yeah but they still have MR. MET (a reference to a conan o'brien skit)
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2