Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does wood cause toning on coins?

BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
I am curious....does wood, like paper, cause coins to tone? Thanks!
Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

Comments

• Options
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Some types of wood out-gas more than others.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varnish and stains on wood, or chemicals in paper might contribute more to toning than the wood itself, but I woodn't know for sure.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i guess it depends on how much moisture is in the wood too...
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    That was fast....thanks! I know a place that sells reproduction treasure chests that I was considering buying for my "runoff" but as I am not a fan of toning, I will pass. Thanks again!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

apparently, sometimes, toning causes "Wood"

imageimage

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood can tone coins, but it's not 100% chance.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    How much wood would a toned coin tone if a toned coin would tone wood. image

Sorry, I'm just bored.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    If you just happen to be near the Jack Daniels distillery- pick up an old oak cask and line it with some really good velvet, place coins on velvet- seal cask place in attic for next 4-7 years- do not rotate, and at the end of 7 you should have some fine oakened flavored coins to view..
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Varnish and stains on wood, or chemicals in paper might contribute more to toning than the wood itself, but I woodn't know for sure. >>

That was my thought.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PQTypePQType Posts: 471
    I read once leaving a coin on a piece of oak for a while will tone a coin. Never tried it..Anyone else hear or read this?
  • Options

<< <i>I read once leaving a coin on a piece of oak for a while will tone a coin. Never tried it..Anyone else hear or read this? >>

i have read that. i believe it was one of those buyer beware eBay essays on artificially toned coins. Supposedly sticking coins on the stump of a freshly chopped oak tree was a method of getting artificially toned coins. i have never tried this before and doubt i am remembering that correctly since leaving coins exposed to the elements would cause black spots of corrosion. Perhaps it was simply a piece of freshly chopped oak and didn't have to be on the stump itself.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of people placing a coin on a piece of fresh, unfinished oak wood and leaving it on the windowsill for a while- but I have not seen the results!
  • Options
    Yes. Also, any tarnish, sealers, or stains have to right? They are chemicals and I would think they would react to the surface of coins stored near them.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    This and similar or related questions come up occasionally on the forum, and many members express opinions in an effort to help the OP. But few of us are chemical engineers, so no matter how well intentioned, some opinions expressed here can inadvertently cause damage to people's coins. It is always best to seek the advice of a professional whenever considering how to house and store your collection, and what types of materials are acceptable and which are not. I have always enjoyed reading the Coin World column "Preserving Collectables" by Susan Maltby, a professional conservator from Ontario Canada. I learn something every time I read her column, and have saved many of her columns for future reference. I have even contacted her personally for specific advice on archival materials, and found her to be not only very knowledgable and professional, but also very responsive. Before risking any of your cherished coins, better seek the advice of such a professional conservator.

Some woods are suitable for housing coins (very little outgassing, as Perryhall suggests), and others are not.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... I have always enjoyed reading the Coin World column "Preserving Collectables" by Susan Maltby, a professional conservator from Ontario Canada. I learn something every time I read her column, and have saved many of her columns for future reference... >>

image Me too!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Havent you ever seen a coin with woodgrain toning? image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    The tannin in most wood definitely would cause toning to occur
  • Options
    Hi All,

I ran across this while looking over the old wood threads:

2manycoins2fewfunds - <<Let me warn everyone that I had a PCGS 30 coin mahogany box full of silver coins including a 1995-w ASE.
    After resting closed at room temp for 3-5 years there was definate toning of multiple coins including the 1995-W ASE.
    A light golden toning.................

I wouldn't store any blast white silver coins in a wooden box again............>>

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    Some woods will tone more than others. There are certain types of trees that have higher sulfuric levels than others, which certainly makes a difference. There are many factors to consider with toning. If the wood has been treated with any sort of chemicals or a finish, it could play a large factor in how a coin would tone. Same thing with paper. Most of the really wild toning found on coins that were stored in paper or cardboard is actually accelerated more by the acids used in coloring the paper than the paper itself.
    Take a look at all the colorful coins at Chameleon Coins
  • Options
    Hi there,

Yes and Yes. Where were you 5 years ago? image

About paper from the Library of Congress/Preservation Information:

"The primary source of acid in modern paper is the alum-rosin sizing agent introduced in the manufacturing process. Size is added so that writing and printing inks do not feather. In the presence of moisture, the alum in the sizing agent generates sulfuric acid."

"Fibers made of cellulose chains degrade when exposed to an acidic environment in the presence of moisture. In this acid hydrolysis reaction, cellulose chains are repeatedly split into smaller fragments so long as the source of acid remains in paper. This acid hydrolysis reaction produces more acid in the process, and the degradation accelerates in a downward spiral."

"A new discovery made in the research laboratories of the Library of Congress shows that, as it ages, cellulose itself generates several acids, such as formic, acetic, lactic, and oxalic acids."

"Measurable quantities of these acids were observed to form within weeks of the manufacture of paper while stored under ambient conditions. This research also shows that these acids continue to accumulate within paper as they attach themselves to paper through strong intermolecular bonds. This explains why acid-free (pH neutral) papers also become increasingly acidic as they age."

Both forms, Hydrogen sulfide and sulfuric acid are pretty nasty corrosives as far as I can tell. I am just trying to protect my coins and share what I have found and read.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good reseach, Magikbilly - thanks for sharing.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    HI there and thank you Walkerguy21D,

my memory is not what it was - you may well be the first person to say "thanks"! image My pleasure (and Mr. Spuds) - then, and now, I am trying to save runs of Proof V5c from haze and Indian 1c and so on etc..Remember Ellewood and his 1c Proofs? Is he still here? There is a LOT of data under "wood" if you wish to read it in the archived threads. Really, lots.

Best wishes,
    Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file