Home Metal Detecting
Options

Gold Watch question

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does a gold pocket watch have a hallmark to show that it is gold? and if so where would I find it on the watch?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally, they do, and frequently on the inside of the back cover. Very old watches may not have one. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    exactly inside pan would be marked what kind do you have and is it for sale.thnx dave
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the face it says Waltham. The glass cover is gone as well as the second hands. The numbers 64275 are found in 4 places on the watch.
  • Options
    junk how much?
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Did you find it detecting- if so great find, I've only found one gold plated pocket watch- with just a barely identifiable cover left on- plating was worn off and metal had started to rot away. Waltham was a better brand of watch in the US, what type do you have is the first question? Railroad or Hunter?- railroad watches are open face with crystal exposed, hunters are case watches- having a cover that opens to show crystal and face etc., also a cover on backside- well at least the Waltham I had did. You can usually find the markings on back of this cover on a hunter, or on a railroad style you have to open the back cover- might require a small screw driver to pry off. They usually have a carat marking like 10K or 14K, but if followed by something like Warranteed 20 years- you have a gold plated watch, not solid gold- the finish was warranteed 20 years from wearing out. I don't know alot about old watches, but I do have a book somewhere- going on memory here in this post and past experiences thats all. I remember reading some watches even had gold plated internal movements. The size also makes a big difference in value- a size 0 is like a lady's watch, while a large size like 16 or so is usually like a railroad watch.If its old and gold, the bezel and hands don't matter that much- there usually bought to junk the mechanism and just scrap the case. I had a ladies Waltham size 0 hunter case that I picked up at a sale that was missing crystal and hands but still brought nearly $300 -it was marked 14K on inside back cover and inner case cover.