Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia sports fans (Cardinals game)

lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
We hear it all the time that they are the worst, no class bunch of bums in sports history. Going back to bombing Santa Claus with snowballs, cheering when Michael Irvin lay on Veterens stadium "turf" possibly paralyzed with a neck injury and I'm sure countless other incidents that never made it to the news.

Today watching the Cardinals/Phillies game, some Phillie "fan" was reflecting sunlight with some type of instrument in the eyes of Julio Lugo and Albert Pujols. What a no-class , scumbag move. Not only is that poor sportsmanship, it was dangerous seeing how the guys at bat could have taken a fastball in the face without ever seeing it.

Congrats Philadelphia sportsfans, your title will go unchallenged again!

This thread is not intended as an attack on the Philadelphia fans of this board. I know most of you guys here are good guys and I like almost all of you but what's up with the City's fanbase?

edit sp

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Confirmation bias. It could happen anywhere. I would be completely disgusted if it happened here and I think the overwhelming majority of Cardinals fans would be, too, but still would not consider it terribly surprising.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We here it all the time that they are the worst, no class bunch of bums in sports history. Going back to bombing Santa Claus with snowballs, cheering when Michael Irvin lay on Veterens stadium "turf" possibly paralyzed with a neck injury and I'm sure countless other incidents that never made it to the news.

Today watching the Cardinals/Phillies game, some Phillie "fan" was reflecting sunlight with some type of instrument in the eyes of Julio Lugo and Albert Pujols. What a no-class , scumbag move. Not only is that poor sportsmanship, it was dangerous seeing how the guys at bat could have taken a fastball in the face without ever seeing it.

Congrats Philadelphia sportsfans, your title will go unchallenged again!

This thread is not intended as an attack on the Philadelphia fans of this board. I know most of you guys here are good guys and I like almost all of you but what's up with the City's fanbase? >>

Okay for the umpteenth time let's set the record straight...nobody was throwing snowballs at Santa Claus...there were hundreds if not thousands of snowballs being thrown all around the stadium and a few happened to land near Santa Claus...and nobody was cheering Michael Irvin getting injured, they were cheering the hard hit and the fact that Philly fans do not like the Cowboys or Irvin when he was playing for them...the reflecting thing is obvious, come on now, no Phillies fan is going to condone that...if i had to take a guess it was likely some desperate addicted gambler who owes a mob connected bookie a lot of money, bet heavy on the Phillies to try to get even, and needed to win this game badly for the sake of him receiving possible physical harm...I can't think of any other motivation for doing something despicable such as that, in which he will get arrested for it...maybe he has already, I've been working all day like a plowmule and haven't heard the news.
  • Options
    Not sure if you're being serious about the Irvin comment Steve. Just in case you are, read the comment by Mcnabb then read the entire PHILADELPHIA based news article.

<< <i>"I couldn't believe they cheered when Michael Irvin got hurt," said Donovan McNabb, the team's No. 1 pick who was nearly booed off the stage by Eagles fans attending the draft. "You don't know what to expect from them." >>

<< <i>"Unspeakable, even for us," proclaimed a headline in the Philadelphia Daily News. >>

link

and yes, they did bomb Santa. I think it was the mayor at the time the story was looked at again by ESPN a few years ago that admitted he in fact was there as a young adult and was involved tossing snowballs at St Nick.

edit sp
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    the "green laser" incident today was embarassing...

you did see the attention it garnered though and the umps were quick to work with security to try to find "it"

hopefully some young puck that doesnt know any better...

it was family day (no kidding) and I called my friend that was at the game and they had no clue what was going on...

I thought I even saw it (the laser) again in like the 7th or 8th inning (it takes balls)

and Philadelphia fans have them (not condoning, the activity)

a little embarassing...

probably some Cubs fan (just kidding)

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    It's definitely not all Philadelphia fans. I would be a fool to judge an entire city based on the actions of some obvious morons.

The problem is, this kinda stuff happens way too often there.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I can't see cheering when someone is hurt but what is so bad about throwing snowballs at Santa?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I remember going to the old Vet with my Dad and we used to sit in the "nose bleed" section...

One game my Dad grabbed me and said lets move down some (we never did that)

I looked over my shoulder as we walked down and there are like five guys (drunk) pissing their names on the concrete wall at the very top real big...

Philadelphia fans really get a bad rap for a couple rotten eggs...

that will always be my lasting memory of the Vet ...

and the fact that my Dad always made us leave early to beat traffic over the bridge home to Jersey and we listened to rest of the game on the radio...

memories...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure if you're being serious about the Irvin comment Steve. Just in case you are, read the comment by Mcnabb then read the entire PHILADELPHIA based news article.

<< <i>"I couldn't believe they cheered when Michael Irvin got hurt," said Donovan McNabb, the team's No. 1 pick who was nearly booed off the stage by Eagles fans attending the draft. "You don't know what to expect from them." >>

<< <i>"Unspeakable, even for us," proclaimed a headline in the Philadelphia Daily News. >>

link

and yes, they did bomb Santa. I think it was the mayor at the time the story was looked at again by ESPN a few years ago that admitted he in fact was there as a young adult and was involved tossing snowballs at St Nick.

edit sp >>

McNabb was talking outa his arse...repeat, I was watching that game on TV...nobody thought Irvin was seriously hurt - you see hard hits like that all the time and players get knocked out, and they're back in the game the next series...i wouldn't be surprised if Bill Conlin wrote that, he overdramatizes everything just to sell newspapers...and Santa...okay maybe there was one punk throwing the snowballs at Santa...what there are no punks in New York or Tampa or Dallas?
  • Options

<< <i>McNabb was talking outa his arse... >>

That said, am I to assume, the Philadelphia Daily News which stated "Unspeakable, even for us", the Mayor of Philadelphia Edward Rendell, who stated "This, in terms of bad taste, was as bad as it gets," and an entire sports nation was also talking out of their arses?

I was also watching the game anf they were cheering their butts off.

Come on man.
  • Options
    'There's no excuse for what we did'

Philadelphia fans criticized for reaction to Irvin injury

Posted: Thursday October 14, 1999 07:21 PM

Insult to injury: Philly fans hit an all-time low in poor sportsmanship by booing an injured Michael Irvin. AP

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- They brawl, boo and hurl batteries and snowballs. Philadelphia fans have earned their reputation as among the most surly in sports.

By cheering Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin as he lay motionless on the turf Sunday with a neck injury, the fans brought the city's reputation for boorishness to new lows. It disgusted even those who thought they had seen it all in the "City of Brotherly Love."

"Unspeakable, even for us," proclaimed a headline in the Philadelphia Daily News.

The latest act of civic embarrassment unfolded during the Philadelphia Eagles' 13-10 victory over the Cowboys.

The 33-year-old Irvin landed awkwardly on his head after catching a pass from Troy Aikman in the first quarter. He lay motionless on the artificial turf for nearly 20 minutes while medical staff attended to him.

Many fans in the crowd of 66,669 cheered when they realized Irvin was hurt, and again when paramedics wheeled a stretcher onto the field. Many also cheered respectfully when he was placed in an ambulance, but the damage was done.

"Some people need to grow up and find some inner peace, because there is no peace in watching somebody suffer," said Irvin's teammate, Emmitt Smith.

"This, in terms of bad taste, was as bad as it gets," said Mayor Edward Rendell, an avid sports fan.

What makes Philly fans so foul? More than any other sports city -- even New York -- Philadelphia is known for fans who can be rude, raucous, passionate and sometimes, way out of bounds.

"I couldn't believe they cheered when Michael Irvin got hurt," said Donovan McNabb, the team's No. 1 pick who was nearly booed off the stage by Eagles fans attending the draft. "You don't know what to expect from them."

Michael Zellman, an 18-year-old fan from Philadelphia, said he won't attend Eagles games anymore.

"If you're not wearing the right jersey, you're guaranteed to get beat up," Zellman said.

Fans are so rowdy that a municipal judge holds court during games to charge offenders on the spot.

"If I want to go to a game, I go to another city. I go to New York or Baltimore," said a 78-year-old fan who insisted on not giving his name. "I don't want my name to go on anything that has to do with this city, the way these people act."

One theory for the fans' behavior is the longtime failure of their teams. The Eagles haven't won an NFL championship since 1960. The 76ers of the NBA had the worst record in league history when they were 9-73 in 1972-73.

The Phillies have lost more games than any team in baseball history. They also blew the pennant in 1964, squandering a 6 1/2-game lead with 12 to play with 10 straight losses in 1964.

The fan reaction to Irvin's injury was widely criticized in the city's newspapers and on talk radio Monday. One caller to WIP sports radio said some fans no longer see athletes as real people.

"Entertainment and sports have come so close together that people are losing their grip on what's entertainment and what's reality," he said.

Philadelphia's list of embarrassing moments is getting lengthy.

On Nov. 10, 1997, a fan shot a flare gun across the field into the stands during a nationally televised Monday night game against the San Francisco 49ers. Fans pelted national TV broadcasters with snowballs during a Cowboys-Eagles game in 1989. Santa Claus was booed and pelted with snowballs during a game between the Eagles and Minnesota in 1968.

This year, fans threw batteries at St. Louis Cardinals outfielder J.D. Drew, expressing their anger that he didn't sign with the Phillies after they drafted him in 1997.

No one is safe. Mike Schmidt, one of the best third basemen in baseball history, was booed for much of his career with the Phillies.

"Ron Jaworski told me one time that he had completed like 14 passes in a row, and on the 15th one he had an incompletion and they booed him," said Randall Cunningham, the Eagles' star quarterback from 1985-95.

Irvin, who stayed overnight in the spinal trauma unit of a Philadelphia hospital with swelling in his spine near the base of his skull, was released Monday and flew home. The Cowboys are optimistic he'll play again this season.

"There's no excuse for what we did," Rendell said.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I agree that grand slam that Rollins hit was aided by the lazer. Manual should forfit the game!

Kevin

PS. Matt Stairs has 4 home runs as a pinch hitter, that is only 1 home run less than David Wright. Maybe the Mets could have lazer day next time they
    face the Phils?
  • Options
    If T.O. was laid out after spiking the star that place would have exploded! Oh wait they did cheer for an after the whistle hit..........
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>If T.O. was laid out after spiking the star that place would have exploded! Oh wait they did cheer for an after the whistle hit.......... >>

Didn't know you were from Philly John LOL
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>McNabb was talking outa his arse... >>

That said, am I to assume, the Philadelphia Daily News which stated "Unspeakable, even for us", the Mayor of Philadelphia Edward Rendell, who stated "This, in terms of bad taste, was as bad as it gets," and an entire sports nation was also talking out of their arses?

I was also watching the game anf they were cheering their butts off.

Come on man. >>

They were cheering the hard hit...not the injury...nobody realized how serious was the injury until later. I forget if he was carried off the field or not...even then, players can get carried off the field and it isn't always a serious injury. It's easy for fast Eddie Rendell to make his comments after all was known...he is pathetic...and if you listened to his BS during the presidential campaign, you'll know how pathetic he is.
  • Options

<< <i>'There's no excuse for what we did'

Philadelphia fans criticized for reaction to Irvin injury

Posted: Thursday October 14, 1999 07:21 PM

Insult to injury: Philly fans hit an all-time low in poor sportsmanship by booing an injured Michael Irvin. AP

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- They brawl, boo and hurl batteries and snowballs. Philadelphia fans have earned their reputation as among the most surly in sports.

By cheering Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin as he lay motionless on the turf Sunday with a neck injury, the fans brought the city's reputation for boorishness to new lows. It disgusted even those who thought they had seen it all in the "City of Brotherly Love."

"Unspeakable, even for us," proclaimed a headline in the Philadelphia Daily News.

The latest act of civic embarrassment unfolded during the Philadelphia Eagles' 13-10 victory over the Cowboys.

The 33-year-old Irvin landed awkwardly on his head after catching a pass from Troy Aikman in the first quarter. He lay motionless on the artificial turf for nearly 20 minutes while medical staff attended to him.

Many fans in the crowd of 66,669 cheered when they realized Irvin was hurt, and again when paramedics wheeled a stretcher onto the field. Many also cheered respectfully when he was placed in an ambulance, but the damage was done.

"Some people need to grow up and find some inner peace, because there is no peace in watching somebody suffer," said Irvin's teammate, Emmitt Smith.

"This, in terms of bad taste, was as bad as it gets," said Mayor Edward Rendell, an avid sports fan.

What makes Philly fans so foul? More than any other sports city -- even New York -- Philadelphia is known for fans who can be rude, raucous, passionate and sometimes, way out of bounds.

"I couldn't believe they cheered when Michael Irvin got hurt," said Donovan McNabb, the team's No. 1 pick who was nearly booed off the stage by Eagles fans attending the draft. "You don't know what to expect from them."

Michael Zellman, an 18-year-old fan from Philadelphia, said he won't attend Eagles games anymore.

"If you're not wearing the right jersey, you're guaranteed to get beat up," Zellman said.

Fans are so rowdy that a municipal judge holds court during games to charge offenders on the spot.

"If I want to go to a game, I go to another city. I go to New York or Baltimore," said a 78-year-old fan who insisted on not giving his name. "I don't want my name to go on anything that has to do with this city, the way these people act."

One theory for the fans' behavior is the longtime failure of their teams. The Eagles haven't won an NFL championship since 1960. The 76ers of the NBA had the worst record in league history when they were 9-73 in 1972-73.

The Phillies have lost more games than any team in baseball history. They also blew the pennant in 1964, squandering a 6 1/2-game lead with 12 to play with 10 straight losses in 1964.

The fan reaction to Irvin's injury was widely criticized in the city's newspapers and on talk radio Monday. One caller to WIP sports radio said some fans no longer see athletes as real people.

"Entertainment and sports have come so close together that people are losing their grip on what's entertainment and what's reality," he said.

Philadelphia's list of embarrassing moments is getting lengthy.

On Nov. 10, 1997, a fan shot a flare gun across the field into the stands during a nationally televised Monday night game against the San Francisco 49ers. Fans pelted national TV broadcasters with snowballs during a Cowboys-Eagles game in 1989. Santa Claus was booed and pelted with snowballs during a game between the Eagles and Minnesota in 1968.

This year, fans threw batteries at St. Louis Cardinals outfielder J.D. Drew, expressing their anger that he didn't sign with the Phillies after they drafted him in 1997.

No one is safe. Mike Schmidt, one of the best third basemen in baseball history, was booed for much of his career with the Phillies.

"Ron Jaworski told me one time that he had completed like 14 passes in a row, and on the 15th one he had an incompletion and they booed him," said Randall Cunningham, the Eagles' star quarterback from 1985-95.

Irvin, who stayed overnight in the spinal trauma unit of a Philadelphia hospital with swelling in his spine near the base of his skull, was released Monday and flew home. The Cowboys are optimistic he'll play again this season.

"There's no excuse for what we did," Rendell said. >>

Lota spins in that story...Philadelphia fans know the truth and how we felt...that's all that matters to me.
  • Options

<< <i>If T.O. was laid out after spiking the star that place would have exploded! Oh wait they did cheer for an after the whistle hit.......... >>

BTW, we are not talking about some idiot that ran back onto the field after the paly was over and got a half hearted hit from George Teague.

Here's the video to refresh your mind link

We are talking about a guy who was laid out on the field, possibly paralyzed and a bunch of idiots cheered for that.
  • Options

<< <i>

Didn't know you were from Philly John LOL >>

Just like to mess with Cowboy fansimage
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Lota spins in that story...Philadelphia fans know the truth and how we felt...that's all that matters to me. >>

So the Philadelphia based paper, Mcnabb and the Mayor of Philadelphia were "spinning" the story to show Philly in a bad light?

That is some funny stuff right there!
  • Options

<< <i>

BTW, we are not talking about some idiot that ran back onto the field after the paly was over and got a half hearted hit from George Teague.

Here's the video to refresh your mind link

We are talking about a guy who was laid out on the field, possibly paralyzed and a bunch of idiots cheered for that. >>

i'm just gonna paste this 1,000 times so it sinks in...the Philly fans were cheering the hit, not the injury.
  • Options
    the Philly fans were cheering the hit, not the injury
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    lawnmower"man" is the worst kind of troll.
    the stupid kind.

moving on.....
  • Options
    my fingers are already tired...one more...

• Options
    one more...

• Options
    encore....

• Options

<< <i>lawnmower"man" is the worst kind of troll.
    the stupid kind.

moving on..... >>

Ah, the resident cry baby Hyermoron. How you doing anyway?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Philly is still one of the greatest places in the country to see Springsteen... In fact, I'll be there Oct 13th and 14th celebrating my birthday at the Wachovia Spectrum. Obsessed? Absolutely! Looking at my agenda, this should put me at 334 shows since 1975.

I've enjoyed a few Phillies games, but I've always gone neutral... Made the mistake of going to the Vet a few years back with my Giants jersey and was doused with beer, foodstuffs and a myriad of obscenities. Thankfully, the Giants won and I had a spare change of clothes in the car making the ride back to Jersey all the more enjoyable!
  • Options

<< <i>the Philly fans were cheering the hit, not the injury >>

You're right Steve and everyone else that really saw it, especially the people that were there were wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>

You're right Steve and everyone else that really saw it, especially the people that were there were wrong. >>

• Options

<< <i>Philly is still one of the greatest places in the country to see Springsteen... In fact, I'll be there Oct 13th and 14th celebrating my birthday at the Wachovia Spectrum. Obsessed? Absolutely! Looking at my agenda, this should put me at 334 shows since 1975.

I've enjoyed a few Phillies games, but I've always gone neutral... Made the mistake of going to the Vet a few years back with my Giants jersey and was doused with beer, foodstuffs and a myriad of obscenities. Thankfully, the Giants won and I had a spare change of clothes in the car making the ride back to Jersey all the more enjoyable! >>

• Options

the stupid kind.

moving on..... >>

• Options

<< <i>

the stupid kind.

moving on..... >>

Ah, the resident cry baby Hyermoron. How you doing anyway? >>

• Options

• Options

<< <i>Confirmation bias. It could happen anywhere. I would be completely disgusted if it happened here and I think the overwhelming majority of Cardinals fans would be, too, but still would not consider it terribly surprising. >>

• Options

<< <i>I can't see cheering when someone is hurt but what is so bad about throwing snowballs at Santa? >>

• Options

<< <i>I agree that grand slam that Rollins hit was aided by the lazer. Manual should forfit the game!

Kevin

PS. Matt Stairs has 4 home runs as a pinch hitter, that is only 1 home run less than David Wright. Maybe the Mets could have lazer day next time they
    face the Phils? >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Didn't know you were from Philly John LOL >>

Just like to mess with Cowboy fansimage >>

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You're right Steve and everyone else that really saw it, especially the people that were there were wrong. >>

the Philly fans were cheering the hit, not the injury >>

I guess they need to cheer for something seeing how they haven't won anything in about 60 years image
  • Options

<< <i>Many fans in the crowd of 66,669 cheered when they realized Irvin was hurt, and again when paramedics wheeled a stretcher onto the field >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I guess they need to cheer for something seeing how they haven't won anything in about 60 years image >>

The Eagles have won 3 NFL championship games.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Many fans in the crowd of 66,669 cheered when they realized Irvin was hurt, and again when paramedics wheeled a stretcher onto the field >>

>>

I'm tellin' Tonya on you that you are being bad tonight.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I guess they need to cheer for something seeing how they haven't won anything in about 60 years image >>

The Eagles have won 3 NFL championship games. >>

Didnt say they didn't. My bad, I was off by 11 years. Their last one was in 1960.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I'm tellin' Tonya on you that you are being bad tonight. >>

She's asleep image
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Eagles have won 3 NFL championship games. >>

And the last one was before most of us were born!
  • Options

<< <i>

And the last one was before most of us were born! >>

Exactly! I was still swimming around in my dads sac in 1960 image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

And the last one was before most of us were born! >>

Exactly! I was still swimming around in my dads sac in 1960 image >>

You're lucky that bad boy was a male spermy, if it wasn't you might instead be posting right now in the knitting and crochet forum. LOL
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nd nobody was cheering Michael Irvin getting injured, they were cheering the hard hit and

LMAO, yeah, um, ok, SteveK, whatever you say...even you can't be that dense...can you?

Thanks for the laugh with that ridiculous excuse...as a Mets fan, I needed a good laugh, HAR-HAR!! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.