Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New 1953-S FBL Franklin made (for real this time)!

This coin is now in a brand new MS65FBL holder.

Hat's off to PCGS for getting it right this time!

And remember, as Johnny Cochran says, "If the grade don't fit... you must resubmit!"
"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
and they're cold.
I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
Mary

Best Franklin Website

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Nice job, how long had it been since one was made?
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me be the first to say.................You Suck!!!!image Congratulations bushmaster!image
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .Your so full of sheet
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

WTG Greg..........image
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    So Greg, what's the story?
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Wow, congratulations!!

-Paul
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So Greg, what's the story? >>

Yours Greg? Let us in on how it went down.
  • Options
    Yes the story is we want to hear... details, details...
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the same coin as before?

I thought it was an S/S?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Hey Bush what the price stated on that coin from pcgs?
    Also congrats on getting the fbl.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    The PCGS guide in MS65FBL lists it as $25,000, which I believe having sold one this year is a bit too low.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

image Way to go! Been a long time coming, glad to see it happen to a Fellow Frankie Fiend!
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to PCGS price guide, the FBL version is worth $24,915 more than the non-FBL.
    Holy crap Batman!
    Early retirement?

• Options
    The S/S was a mechanical error.(Not really FBL but was S/S).

Two different coins.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Is this the one?

• Options

<< <i>The S/S was a mechanical error.(Not really FBL but was S/S).

Two different coins. >>

at away to tell the story ............

Of interest would be that the coin was submitted umteen different times by various owners ;

and go's to show what a select few know : you submit a liner coin over and over and over , sooner or later it's gonna hit
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    and you were the feller that stated in print you doubted very much PCGS would ever grade a FBL '53-S again ...........

and , well , there you go - not only did they make one - but you submitted it !
  • Options
    what forms do we file with the IRS when we buy a quarter for 40$ and sell it for 12,000$ .....or a half for 250$ and it sells for 25 grand ?

Is it form GOVI8 or TAX29775 ?
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what forms do we file with the IRS when we buy a quarter for 40$ and sell it for 12,000$ .....or a half for 250$ and it sells for 25 grand ?

Is it form GOVI8 or TAX29775 ? >>

Oh that's an easy one, I will link you to the covenant "YOU SUCK, award of the year"!
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! and much congrat's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    and it cost you how many submission fees to get it in a 65 fbl holder? How many submissions that you felt they were just a bit off on.

And please post the pics that show this as a 5 fbl this time around, not a mechanical error.

I have been following this for a long time now, and am truly amazed at this.

• Options

<< <i>Is this the one?

image >>

Yes. This was the fifth or sixth submission.

I had four free regular gradings due to the mechanical error snafu some of you remember. So I sent it and 3 other coins as regrades.

My previous statements along the lines of, "I don't think PCGS will ever make another FBL 53-S", were based on the previous rejections of this coin. I knew it qualified as FBL, but if they would not give the nod to this particular coin, I felt they would not give it to ANY 53-S, as this was easily the strongest bell lines I have ever seen on a 53-S.

I'd like to thank my buddy James Sego for believing in the coin. His opinion played no small part in my refusal to give up on it.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Great coin, and fully deserving of FBL, from the pics anyways.

This is one of those times I like hearing about someone sending in a coin several times for the right grade. In this case, the right designation.

Good for you, and YOU SUCK!image

• Options

.....fool me once ...........
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bushmaster:

Too bad you used up your PCGS freebies to get the 1953-S resubmitted over and over again!

Now you have very little cost basis to show for your efforts!image

Seriously, I am most impressed. See my notes about the 1953-S Franklin in the other Franklin half dollar thread (the crying one).

I posted that BEFORE I saw your post so now I have to modify my comments about the exalted 1953-S FBL Frankies, image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    The coin will be in the August 30th Teletrade auction: 1953-S FBL
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    More proof that consistent grading is bad for business if you're a TPG. Encouraging resubmissions is critical to survival.

great coin in any event, and yeah, you suck. image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting price history on teletrade for your coin bushy man
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    Congrats and best of luck in the upcoming auction.

I still think NGC's standards should be followed by all though in this series.
  • Options

<< <i>interesting price history on teletrade for your coin bushy man >>

Yeah, and how about the glorious description/write up they gave me!?
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! image

Nice going Greg. As one Frankie Freak to another (and that includes the "lead filled snowshoes" kind image ), it's nice to see that you won the lottery. I hope it does VERY well for you in the auction.

Of course, IMO that is a PCGS FBL, not a true FBL, as the upper lines IN THE IMAGE don't look all there.

Again, Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    You are indisputably correct Skyman, the upper lines are not all there.

But the bottom lines ARE without question all there. In fact I have never seen better bottom lines on a 53-S.

And, FWIW, I am 99.9% sure a 53-S does not exist with all five lines full. Finding them with the top set full is "relatively" easy. But top and bottom? never seen one.

If anyone has one I would pay $ just to see it!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Greg! I love it when persistence pays off.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Encouraging resubmissions is critical to survival. .......u got that right .

I think you would get top $$$ if sold outright .........without fee's or commission's

probably more hard core Franklin people here on the boards then those frequent Teletrade .

but you were lucky with the 62-D Quarter .......maybe so with this coin too
  • Options

<< <i>More proof that consistent grading is bad for business if you're a TPG. Encouraging resubmissions is critical to survival. >>

It can work the other way round tho' :

I had a PCGS MS65FBL 52-S that got a little spotty. I sent for spot review. They got the spots off, but downgraded the coin to 64FBL and sent me a check for $800.

I then sent the same coin in it's new 64FBL holder in for regrade, and it reverted back to 65FBL once again.

So sometimes their inconsistency comes back and bites 'em on the arse!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>More proof that consistent grading is bad for business if you're a TPG. Encouraging resubmissions is critical to survival. >>

It can work the other way round tho' :

I had a PCGS MS65FBL 52-S that got a little spotty. I sent for spot review. They got the spots off, but downgraded the coin to 64FBL and sent me a check for $800.

I then sent the same coin in it's new 64FBL holder in for regrade, and it reverted back to 65FBL once again.

So sometimes their inconsistency comes back and bites 'em on the arse! >>

That is very Funny Greg image

You know all the little loop holes image

What do you think your '53-s FBL will bring on TT? I'm thinking 15-20 grand? maybe more, maybe less. I guess there's not a whole lot of past '53-s FBL auctions to compare prices realized.

Good luck, and of course YOU SUCK image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    What it will bring is anybodys guess.

The last one that traded (to my knowledge) brought $35K, and IMO did not really have FBL's. In that case somebody bought some very pricey plastic to go around their $100 coin. image

My coin, on the other hand, has ALL THERE bell lines and as such, may be recognized as such by a Registry Set collector who is looking for a solid coin to replace his "iffy" coin.

I don't think the general downturn the market has experienced will have an effect on this coin...... (The Power of Positive Thinkingimage )
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, and how about the glorious description/write up they gave me!? >>

Just a suggestion,,,, if you are sending a coin to TeleTrade and want some special info noted in their description include a short note with the details. Be it the POP numbers or a description of a special variety keep the note short and accurate and they will include it.

I sold the 1st few PCGS 1971-S FPL IKE's on TeleTrade and I included a short note and they used it.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    IT should bring 25 - 30 k
  • Options

<< <i>What it will bring is anybodys guess.

The last one that traded (to my knowledge) brought $35K, and IMO did not really have FBL's. In that case somebody bought some very pricey plastic to go around their $100 coin. image

My coin, on the other hand, has ALL THERE bell lines and as such, may be recognized as such by a Registry Set collector who is looking for a solid coin to replace his "iffy" coin.

I don't think the general downturn the market has experienced will have an effect on this coin...... (The Power of Positive Thinkingimage ) >>

I'm thinking its not gonna sell at what you hope it will. whats the reserve, I'm a watcher at the moment.....
  • Options
    The last one on TT in any grade was a NGC63FBL. It realized $5600.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MORGAHUNTER2---and it cost you how many submission fees to get it in a 65 fbl holder? How many submissions that you felt they were just a bit off on.
    bushmaster8---Yes. This was the fifth or sixth submission.

a few things come to mind, and none of them are very positive......................

i find it strange that PCGS feels our collective heel about inconsistent grading yet now so many are here slapping you on the back about using that to your advantage. it strikes me as rather hypocritical to an extent. sure, it's nice that you will enjoy a windfall from this, but the real test about your insistence that I knew it qualified as FBL is to crack the coin from the capsule and re-submit it again. as it stands the coins is what, one-fifth or one-sixth a 65FBL??

this highlights the reasons why the TPG's are so troubling and perplexing to so many and why they have convoluted the price guides as much as any other single thing during the past 20+ years. it also sheds light on what true collectors are and why many of the proponents/cheerleaders of certain series' really should be viewed as nothing but self-promoters out for monetary gain. bushmaster, why would you chase after what you feel is the most difficult coin in the series you concern yourself most with, only to sell the choicest example you've ever found?? i've promoted and chased the dates in my favorite series and keep the best coins when i find them, but that's just me.

my question, since there's always a question for me is this-----should we be more concerned about the inconsistency of PCGS or should we concern ourselves with being more consistent in how we collect and what we post about??
  • Options

"I'm thinking its not gonna sell at what you hope it will. whats the reserve, I'm a watcher at the moment..... "

didn't you say the same thing about his 1962-D Quarter ??
  • Options

<< <i>MORGAHUNTER2---and it cost you how many submission fees to get it in a 65 fbl holder? How many submissions that you felt they were just a bit off on.
    bushmaster8---Yes. This was the fifth or sixth submission.

a few things come to mind, and none of them are very positive......................

i find it strange that PCGS feels our collective heel about inconsistent grading yet now so many are here slapping you on the back about using that to your advantage. it strikes me as rather hypocritical to an extent. sure, it's nice that you will enjoy a windfall from this, but the real test about your insistence that I knew it qualified as FBL is to crack the coin from the capsule and re-submit it again. as it stands the coins is what, one-fifth or one-sixth a 65FBL??

this highlights the reasons why the TPG's are so troubling and perplexing to so many and why they have convoluted the price guides as much as any other single thing during the past 20+ years. it also sheds light on what true collectors are and why many of the proponents/cheerleaders of certain series' really should be viewed as nothing but self-promoters out for monetary gain. bushmaster, why would you chase after what you feel is the most difficult coin in the series you concern yourself most with, only to sell the choicest example you've ever found?? i've promoted and chased the dates in my favorite series and keep the best coins when i find them, but that's just me.

my question, since there's always a question for me is this-----should we be more concerned about the inconsistency of PCGS or should we concern ourselves with being more consistent in how we collect and what we post about?? >>

atta' boy Keets !

Put up or shut up Bushwhacker .......... crack that baby out and re-submitt it

.........and wear the title proudly of a smuck that sold your "beloved " collection of Franklin's here on these boards and now join the

ranks of a cheerleader selflessly promoting the series for nothing more then greedy monetary gain - shame on your filthy little grubby fingers

as they count your 20+ thousand dollars
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    easy fella.

there's nothing wrong with taking a profit from what we each know about coins.
  • Options
    What '62-D are you referring to Paul?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file