Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Make no mistake.....Frank Thomas is the.....

Absolute best right handed hitter baseball has ever seen. Hands down, no argument.

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Hank Aaron just called and said you were nuts.............
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Willie Mays called too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    He was a great one, but that is as far as I will go.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I never know if these threads are to call me out or not.

I certainly say he's top 10. Maybe top 5. A few less injuries in the last years and he'd be much more respected.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    The white guy that played in the 1950s?
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Easy on the crack pipe this early in the morning.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Frank Thomas is not in the top 10 all time.

He is in the top 2 or 3 of his generation though.

Only Bonds and maybe Griffey and Ramirez are above him.

I'd take him over A Rod

Of course this is only my opinion.

Others will differ.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    The Big Skirt at number 1?!? LOL!
    imageRIP
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Aaron:

1 HR every 4th game
    OBA: .374
    SLG: .555
    AVG: .305

Thomas:

1 HR every 4th game
    OBA: .419!!!
    AVG: .301

Startingly similar numbers between the 2 greats. However, I give the Big Hurt the nod due to his back to back MVP seasons versus Aaron's lone MVP season.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    If Thomas used steriods like the rest of them he would have had over 800 hr's and still be playing.image

James
  • Options

<< <i>Frank Thomas is not in the top 10 all time.

He is in the top 2 or 3 of his generation though.

Only Bonds and maybe Griffey and Ramirez are above him.

I'd take him over A Rod

Of course this is only my opinion.

Others will differ.

Steve >>

Take Griffey out....the post is about right handed hitters.
  • Options

<< <i>If Thomas used steriods like the rest of them he would have had over 800 hr's and still be playing.image

James >>

Lotta truth in that statement. Even in the era of mass steroid usage, a CLEAN Thomas was still able to dominate the sport for many years.
  • Options
    My post was in general, so if you include all players he is in the top 5 of his generation.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    Lower mound in Thomas' era. Not pitcher dominated like the 50s and 60s. Aaron wins.
  • Options

<< <i>My post was in general, so if you include all players he is in the top 5 of his generation.

Steve >>

Tough call to make, only because so many players were juicing. If you exclude the roiders, you get 3 men who are the greatest players of our generation (1990-2000). I'd take Griffey in his prime over Thomas in his prime, BARELY. But if I was starting my own team and had to pick among the players of our generation (who werent on roids), its Randy all the way!
  • Options
    How does he compare to Willie Mays? Who, by the way Aaron claims was better.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Those are impressive numbers for Big Frank, but there is no way that he is the best hitter of all-time.
  • Options
    I'm not going to take the time to look at stats, especially things that aren't calculated regularly like HRs, doubles, singles per plate appearance, but Thomas at a minimum hangs with the "greats." His OB%, OPS, and Slugging % show that. His strength is the depth of his hitting, from things like sac flies, clutch hitting, to the regularly recorded statistics. When the man was healthy enough to be at the plate, he hurt the opposing pitching.

As for MVPs, he was runner up in a year that Giambi admittedly was juicing while he won.
  • Options
    I agree he does hang with the greats, he just ain't the greatest.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree he does hang with the greats, he just ain't the greatest.

Steve >>

Then we are in agreeance.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, never mind.

Shane

• Options
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Pujols is righty last I checked. Its him or Manny.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    I just love how people try to "out-think the room" by totally leaving out of the conversation a right handed hitter who is the only person the history of baseball to hit over .300, 30 hr, & 100 RBI's in his first TWO SEASONS. This hitter has extended that record to his first 8 season, and with 10 more RBI's, it will be 9 seasons.

I'll not even mention his name because all I will hear is "Oh, great! Here comes his supporters!" And all I ever want is a meaningful, intelligent discussion.

Shane

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aaron:

1 HR every 4th game

Thomas:

1 HR every 4th game

Startingly similar numbers between the 2 greats. However, I give the Big Hurt the nod due to his back to back MVP seasons versus Aaron's lone MVP season. >>

i was going to do work today but...

aaron
    HR 755
    RBI 2297
    Hits 3771
    sb 240

thomas
    HR 521
    RBI 1704
    Hits 2468
    SB 32

aaron did all this playing under extreme circumstances in bigger parks. and by the way as he was hitting 755 HR he stole 240 bases and had almost 3800 hits, thats a lot of hits, i don't care who you are. 1 MVP in an era with players like mays-banks-koufax-f. robinson- clemente is pretty good. thomas was a great hitter but i think i go with aaron. and i go with arron over a lot of guys right or left. he was a great productive hitter.

i will also add lets see what pujols continues to do and then we take him when he's finished, it wouldn't be fair to compare when he's not finished yet. i remember talking to a red sox fan about 6-7 years ago who said nomar was a slam dunk HOFer.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    By the way, I think Hank Aaron is the greatest, right now.

Shane

• Options
    Shane,
    I to like Pujols he is a great hitter the one thing I like about Thomas over Pujols is his batting eye Thomas
    was putting up 100 walk seasons his first full year it took Pujols 8 full season to get a hundred walk season
    and with all the IBB he reseved those years and still did get 100 walks?

Now I think Pujols is a complete hitter.

James
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Bill Madlock.

now everybody go to your room.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    madlock was a great hitter

arron
    2B-624
    3B-98
    200+ hits 3 times
    191+ hits 7 times

thomas
    2B- 495
    3B-12
    200+ hits none
    191+ once

this schoked me that he never had 200+ hits in a year.

i love looking at stats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Aaron:

1 HR every 4th game

Thomas:

1 HR every 4th game

Startingly similar numbers between the 2 greats. However, I give the Big Hurt the nod due to his back to back MVP seasons versus Aaron's lone MVP season. >>

i was going to do work today but...

aaron
    HR 755
    RBI 2297
    Hits 3771
    sb 240

thomas
    HR 521
    RBI 1704
    Hits 2468
    SB 32

aaron did all this playing under extreme circumstances in bigger parks. and by the way as he was hitting 755 HR he stole 240 bases and had almost 3800 hits, thats a lot of hits, i don't care who you are. 1 MVP in an era with players like mays-banks-koufax-f. robinson- clemente is pretty good. thomas was a great hitter but i think i go with aaron. and i go with arron over a lot of guys right or left. he was a great productive hitter.

i will also add lets see what pujols continues to do and then we take him when he's finished, it wouldn't be fair to compare when he's not finished yet. i remember talking to a red sox fan about 6-7 years ago who said nomar was a slam dunk HOFer. >>

Dont neglect to mention that Aaron's career totals are for 23 seasons....Thomas did just 19, and a few of those were injury ridden at that.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Aaron > Thomas - he did it for a longer period of time, and he did it playing the OF - much more demanding than 1b/DH. Pujols can crack #1 if he ages well (is he really not even 30?). Manny kind of hurt his shot at this title with the suspension for roids.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a better debate would be to ask if Thomas is HOF worthy. In my opinion the steroid era is tainted and those players can never be adequately compared to prior generations.
  • Options
    Yeah I would say he is HOF worthy.

As for 30 100 300

DiMaggio missed that by 1 hr his rookie season and did it I think 7 or 8 straight seasons.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah I would say he is HOF worthy.

As for 30 100 300

DiMaggio missed that by 1 hr his rookie season and did it I think 7 or 8 straight seasons.

Steve >>

He did it for 5 years after his rookie year. I did not realize how close he came to that.

Shane

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Modern era:
    1) Manny
    2) A-Rod
    3) Thomas
    4) Pujols

All-time
    1) Willie Mays
    2) Hank Aaron
    3) Rogers Hornsby
    4) Mike Schmidt
    5) Joe DiMaggio
    6) Frank Robinson
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aaron:

1 HR every 4th game

Thomas:

1 HR every 4th game

Not a fan of sample size are you? Thomas has had over 4K fewer ABs in his career and you can't assume that he would continue that pace over those 4K ABs.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Easy on the crack pipe this early in the morning. >>

Took the words right off my keyboard!
  • Options
    Frank Thomas also invested in a college career at Auburn (aaron went straight to Negro League and pro ball), was a first round draft pick in the MLB, and played dual sports in college (football, bs). With those things in mind, Aaron could have a longer baseball career and hence more opportunity to rack up the digits. I believe Thomas was feared more by both pitchers and managers than Aaron was. The poor guy (Thomas) was intentionally walked like crazy. Back in Aaron's day, did baseball even have intentional walking? image
    In the big inning...
    Genesis 1:1
  • Options
    Lots of great names there! You think you have the list then another name is added. I am too young to have seen most of those greats play but I think Aaron is the one. As for active players that's a really tough one. A-rod is pretty impressive but Manny sure does rake that ball too. Tough choices.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Back in Aaron's day, did baseball even have intentional walking? image >>

Yes, The Babe was intentially walked many times. I think Ted Williams also was IBB a lot!
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lunacy. Mediocre AND inflated stats = above-average power hitter, and that's all. He couldn't hold Aaron's jock, not that he'd want to.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

<< <i>Back in Aaron's day, did baseball even have intentional walking? image >>

Yes but back then it only took 1 pitch.
  • Options

<< <i>Lunacy. Mediocre AND inflated stats = above-average power hitter, and that's all. >>

This is an incorrect statement.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Frank Thomas is great. But off the top of my head, I would rank Rogers Hornsby and Jimmie Foxx ahead of him. And probably Hank Greenberg as well.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    That's very possible, in as hard as it is to compare modern players to post-war guys, it's certainly hard to compare them to pre-war players.

What I meant by "incorrect" statement in my post above is that his stats were far from inflated. He carried little to no protection in the lineup during his prime and still found a way to get on base, drive in, and score runs.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense, but anyone who believes that Frank Thomas is better than Aaron knows absolutely nothing about baseball. First and foremost, Aaron played during an era when pitchers dominated (before the lowering of the mound after Bob Gibso's 1.12 ERA in 1968), and in parks that were far more difficult to hit in than today's bandboxes. Add expansion and the addition of squads of mediocre pitchers who wouldn't have even made ther majors back during Aaron's era, and it's ridiculous to think that Thomas is close to being better than Aaron all-time, as good a player as he is. Or do you think Sammy Sosa is right up there, too, LOL??

Edit to add: Aaron also was a three-time Gold Glove award winner, too..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.