Home Metal Detecting
Options

My top ten want list-- how many have you found?!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a list of what I still have yet to find. How many can you check off?

10. Mercury Dime: It's hard to believe I haven't found one yet in 15 months of detecting!
9. 1960s Matchbox car: A toy I haven't found yet from *any* year!
8. Indian Head cent: At least I felt close with that 1913 cent I just found.
7. Lead toy solider. I *did* did a lead toy cannon once.
6. Walking Liberty Half dollar. Those are beauts!
5. Buffalo nickel. Common, sure, but they look awesome worn.
4. Anything related to the Civil War. (Thats gonna take a vacation on my part)
3. Gold anything! Preferably a coin.
2. A three-cent silver coin. They're just awesome.
1. Anything related to the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition. (At least one guy one here did make such a find recently!)

Bonus: (My "White Whale") Any pioneer gold coin.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found 10 through 3. My lead toy soldier was the base with the feet.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting idea! Top 10 list!

I can check these off...

10. Mercury Dime
    8. Indian Head cent
    6. Walking Liberty Half dollar. I've only found one
    5. Buffalo nickel.
    3. Gold anything! (no cold coins yet though!)
    2. A three-cent silver coin. (had one 'back in the day,' but it was taken when we were robbed). Do have two three-cent nickels though.

my to-find list is (in no particular order)
    1. Gold Coin
    2. Pre-1793 coin minted in the United States
    3. Ancient Coin (will require a trip to Europe)
    4. Seated Dime/Quarter
    5. Capped Bust silver
    6. Grillz
    7. Sterling Silver Spoon
    8. Sterling Thimble
    9. Another 3¢ silver to replace the other one
    10. Silver Dollar - either Morgan or Peace

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only one thing on my list.... a $20 Gold coin.... That is my 'white whale'... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    So far, I have them all but the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition not much chance of that here on the east coast...image
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    i've dug everything except for the 3 cent silver.
    my wish would be,
    1. any spanish gold coins
    2. any US gold coins
    3. any bust silvers
    4. large cent
    5. half cent
    6. 20 cent coin
    7. spanish 8 reale
    8. 1840's seated half
    9. seated dollar
    10. trade dollar
    most of these i'll never get. all of these have been found here in CA, but they are rare
  • Options
    ive found 3 thru 10 as well, although ive only detected a few times in the last decade.

10. 1937-s was my first mercury, when i was probably 11 yrs old.
    9. "heavy chevy" i believe it was not 100% sure but i know it had the red lined wheels
    8. found a dozen or so indians,
    7. i cut the legs off the first lead soldier i found>>> OOOOPS !
    6. 1943 WL with probe marks ALL over it !
    5. 1929 was my first buff
    4. found a couple civil war tokens a while back, (from local towns)
    3. does a large gold plated ring count ???
    2. too small
    1. not interested

i seem to get lucky with finding scarce dates in the oddball categories, my one and only standing lib quarter is a 1921 (the last 1 in the date is all that identifies it) my one and only barber half is a nice VG 1897-o and i found an 09VDB not long ago. no S though, id like to find a seated coin some day, around here that may end up being an AG 1890 that was dropped in 1946 or something but i would still cherish it ! who knows it may end up being an 1860-o dime, that can only be identified by that teeny tiny o
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>10. Mercury Dime: It's hard to believe I haven't found one yet in 15 months of detecting! >>

I have found 64 Mercury dimes as of early 2008. I can remember the seemingly endless wait for that first one. Once it finally came, several more followed. You just have to cross the threshold that first time, it seems, and then more show up. You'll get one. I remember my mentor telling me that: you'll get one. And only semi-believing him. Of course now I have more than enough to make up a roll of them!

<< <i>9. 1960s Matchbox car: A toy I haven't found yet from *any* year! >>

I have a few. Lots of toy cars, of course, but if you count only the Matchbox brand made in England, maybe two or three.

<< <i>8. Indian Head cent: At least I felt close with that 1913 cent I just found. >>

You will get one of these too, if you stick with it long enough. I have 40 of them now, and the last, found on 12/15/07, was a doozie- a really sweet AU+ 1907 (a common date and my third 1907, but the best-preserved Indian I have found).

<< <i>7. Lead toy solider. I *did* did a lead toy cannon once. >>

Was it one from the Monopoly game, or bigger? I have a few. Most recently a cool lead toy Indian, brandishing a tomahawk. Found a lead elephant from an early-1900s toy circus set, once, too.

<< <i>6. Walking Liberty Half dollar. Those are beauts! >>

Bigger silver is tough to find. It usually got found before it sank below ground level. They're out there, though. I have three so far. I have seen beginners here find them, too. My first was found in the same hole (but two inches deeper than) a small group of modern clad quarters, at a streetside bus stop in an old neighborhood. I kept poppin' quarters outta the hole and still got a signal! Dug a little deeper, and out came a 1938-D Walker, which is a tad less common date. I about fainted. How strange that somebody dropped a handful of quarters right on top of where that half had been laying for so long. My others are a 1944 and another from the '40s, as I recall. I still don't have any of the earlier pre-1934 pieces.

<< <i>5. Buffalo nickel. Common, sure, but they look awesome worn. >>

They don't always look so awesome worn AND corroded. I have 19 of them, including a crappy 1913 Type 1 and a decent 1913 Type 2. One of my earlier Buffalo finds was dateless, but it had a fair sized cud or filled die on the reverse- an error coin!

<< <i>4. Anything related to the Civil War. (Thats gonna take a vacation on my part) >>

I have dozens of Minie bullets and several buttons. Only two are Confederate-related, despite my living in GA. (Confederate stuff is pretty rare). One is a Confederate "block I" infantry button and the other is a SC State Seal. One site I have hunted produced several Yankee eagle buttons and was occupied in 1863 by troops from the 54th Massachusetts Infantry (made famous in the film "Glory"). We found maybe two dozen of their bullets, which were extra large .69 caliber Minies, cast on the site (we know this because we found some raw lead stock, casting waste, and everything but the mold, plus all the bullets were pristine and unfired). I have not found a belt plate yet, at least not from the CW- my one military belt plate was earlier and even rarer (US Light Dragoons, War of 1812- crappy condition but still sold for a thousand bucks. Was maybe only the second or third intact one known.)

<< <i>3. Gold anything! Preferably a coin. >>

I have found maybe four or five gold rings and a couple of little gold charms and earrings. No coin yet. Here's hopin'.

<< <i>2. A three-cent silver coin. They're just awesome. >>

This is a milestone I haven't crossed yet. They do turn up around here- nice ones, too, sometimes, but I have yet to get my first. Each new year I have asked myself if I'd cross the 3c piece threshold, but so far I haven't. I suspect it'll come when I least expect it, as milestone finds often do.

<< <i>1. Anything related to the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition. (At least one guy one here did make such a find recently!) >>

Good for him! I'm on the wrong coast for that, most likely. I have found one commemorative half, but it is an Oregon Trail and not a Pan-Pac.

<< <i>Bonus: (My "White Whale") Any pioneer gold coin. >>

Dream on, brother. But hey- it could happen. That is the beauty of this hobby. Dreams do occasionally come true (or more to the point, one sometimes finds something one hadn't even dreamed about). When I first got serious about detecting, I lived in Western NC near where the Bechtler gold coins had been struck, and an old local history book mentioned them circulating in my county. You can bet that got my imagination going.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Of those on your list I have found
    A Matchbox car, it was a Van
    Didn't find a toy soldier but did locate a lead ballerina about 2 inches tall
    No Merc but plenty of Roosie

Still looking for anything larger than a quarter
    Found nickels but without animals on them
    I'll accept any gold find, coin or jewelry
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    On the lead cannon find...

<< <i>]Was it one from the Monopoly game, or bigger? I have a few. Most recently a cool lead toy Indian, brandishing a tomahawk. Found a lead elephant from an early-1900s toy circus set, once, too.. >>

Here it is-- the gun is slightly bent from laying in the ground for decades!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I can check three now!

9. 1960s Matchbox car-- found a 1967 Tootsie shuttle truck. close enough for me!)
    7. Lead toy solider-- found a 1940s Barclay lead skater girl. (Also close enough)
    3. Gold anything-- found a 24" chain recently!

I'm going back to the family farm this week and really hope to find a buffalo nickel and Mercury dime. Odds are in my favor!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it Kiyote.... best of luck..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that would be 10 thru 5 for me. one day will find the rest of it hopefully image
  • Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    I found them all Including 3- 3 Cents silvers in one hole. 1853, 1853 and 1852. Also found 2 3 cent nickels

Jim
  • Options
    I see lots people detector old school and I decide stop talked people detector. I asked people any luck mostly find clads no luck silver or no luck old coins. I know my friend detector was in 1983 lots lots silver. I told people still in SILVER in this ground. Also I told people have to very very slow stir soft beep beep with deep about 8 to 10 inch knew it !!!! will be silver or old coins. People list me THEY MAKE IT FOUND 1950-s rosie cheer up and joy dance. I told him CONGRATS please keep up REMEMBER VERY SLOW STIR then lot people found wheaties mostly 1910's very awesome. ALL PEOPLE DETECTOR CONGRATS!!!!!!!! I love it help to people detector.
    My top ten oh man hard to remember let I try remember.
    My list top banner found 1903 V nickel because there lots ton tabs and caps pop very toughest find nickels because hard to mix nickel is same tabs or caps BUT VERY IMPORTANT READ VDI nickel vdi is 20 is perfect!!!! for nickel BUT I am very luckest I was very slow stir beep beep very soft I see vdi very mix from 18 vdi to 28 vdi I said oh dear try again swing same as beep beep its very soft and deep 9 inch I dig going pretty deeply I use pinpointer beep my hand went down deep grab coin and my eye pop up!!!!!!!!! then pick up very hard to see because nickel is BLACK I wait few minute will be clear I see rev "V" I said oh DEAR ITS "V" I check date let few minute I can see its 1903.
    What happen mix 18 to 28 vdi why? I found that 1903 was UPGRADE SIDE and not flat. If flat will tell 20 vdi. Oh man I never forget.
    Lot toughest COIN UPGRADE SIDE
  • Options

<< <i>I found them all Including 3- 3 Cents silvers in one hole. 1853, 1853 and 1852. Also found 2 3 cent nickels

Jim >>

VERY BANNER CONGRATS I knew 3 cent silver is very toughest. My friend found 3 cent silver 1855 other man found 1855 too found in virginia. Both man sent me because I serious collector and I have lot good friend detector. Now I have 5- 3 cent silver 1855. One is extra fine wow that very awesome very sharp all over. One thing that one 1855 is been hole in very good.
  • Options
    Hey Quarter1822, where do you live?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Quarter1822, where do you live? >>

I live in northern michigan and if you live near I am very pleasure welcome together go detector
  • Options
    I am in Maine, not exactly in your neighborhood.