Home Metal Detecting
Options

My new record for the oldest coin I've found!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
This one excited the heck outta me-- it's from a local walking trail that used to be a road to an 1870s kiln. It was about 4 inches deep. The date is 1913-S. I can't wait to go back and look for some silver!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    Good looking coin

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Looks to be in pretty nice shape, too.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find and in pretty good shape.... HH RickO
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Did you fill the hole in?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options

<< <i>Nice find and in pretty good shape.... HH RickO >>

I wish the reverse had fared as well, but it's much more worn. But at least the important side looks good. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>Did you fill the hole in? >>

Well, yah. image I didn't throw away the penny, either!
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, looks like a BU coin when dropped back in the day.
    Strong strike too!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! That's a nice looking Lincoln!
  • Options
    i thought you threw those things out ? hee hee hee ! nice find ... hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice one!..and an "S" mint mark to boot...congrats!image
  • Options
    i do hoipe you find a nice barber dime looking that good !! skip over the mercuries,
  • Options

<< <i>i do hoipe you find a nice barber dime looking that good !! skip over the mercuries, >>

I'd be ok with a 1913-S Barber quarter, too. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty nice grade.

Can't have been dropped a whole lot later than when it was made, I suppose. Maybe the 1920s or so at the latest, I reckon.

This tells me there's Barber silver around. And Indians (of both the cent and nickel variety, perhaps- we won't even daydream about the gold ones).

Merc dimes.

Just think of the possibilities.

It's always a very important milestone when you set your oldest date back. Congratulations! image

For me, it was 1926 for years and years. Then 1899, 1875 (within about an hour of the 1899), 1871, then 1829, then 1776, then 1658.

It will be a long, long time before I set the dug coin date back again.

PS- it just dawned on me that your 1913 is an S-mint. Hey, a semi-key date! DOUBLE congratulations! Best I have gotten in Lincolns in terms of better dates is just a 1911-D. So you've topped me there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.