Home Metal Detecting
Options

WOO! 7 pieces of silver and 13 wheats today!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
4 silver roosies and a Mercury Dime - my best silver coin total ever in one day! Also a sterling cross and sterling ring (a bit squished).

Also a record is 13 wheat cents in one day. Previous record was only 6. The soil is horrible on copper though.

Also hit 1,000 coins for the year, so overall, today was a pretty good day.

(check out the rainbow toning on the reverse of one of the Roosies. Think I can sell it for $50 on eBay?)

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well done.... I do not thing the toner will sell... dug coins usually do not bring much. Unless you dip it and let it set in a Taco Bell napkin in a sunny window... THEN you may have a hot item.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Where did you dig all those?

Kevin
  • Options
    Actually found them at a local swimming area... not on the beach, but a grassy area slightly out of the way. Started with a wheat cent, then another, then the sterling cross... some more wheats, then silver, some wheats... you get the idea, haha.

Now this isn't to say, "forget the beach"! I was at a "searched out beach" yesterday and pulled out two buffalo nickels and a 1935 Mercury dime. The key is digging everything! These beeps were barely a flicker on the detector, and since it's so easy digging at a beach, it's worth a shot. If you don't have headphones already, I'd fully recommend them. I tried avoiding them for as long as I could because I thought I'd look dorky, but I'd never go back to not using them.

BTW, go Phillies!
  • Options
    Excellent...if you keep this up, you're going to force me to get out and give my favorite haunts a check.image
  • Options
    hot diggity dog ! nice work man....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a haul.

I think I have topped your 13 wheats in one day, but my most silver in a single day was five pieces (on two different occasions- the last of which had all five coming out of the same hole!)

I have a couple of those Catholic "Miraculous Mary" medals but none with three figures on it like yours. That is a cool find, too. They're usually Sterling (.925 fine). Yours looks it. I can see it has some sort of stamp on it but can't read it.

Cool bit of rainbow toning on the reverse of that one Roosie, too. Did it come out like that, or did you clean it with electrolysis or something? I have several rainbow toners in my dug album, but it's all secondary toning, where the coins have retoned in the album, years after I dug them and cleaned them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovan, you must have quite the collection! You should take a picture showing everything! I'd love to see it.

(the cross in the image is stamped "sterling." That was my first silver find that day. Always a good way to start.

<< <i>Cool bit of rainbow toning on the reverse of that one Roosie, too. Did it come out like that, or did you clean it with electrolysis or something? I have several rainbow toners in my dug album, but it's all secondary toning, where the coins have retoned in the album, years after I dug them and cleaned them. >>

It actually came out of the ground like that. Go figure. Definitely something in the soil... hopefully it's okay to swim in that pond, haha.