Home U.S. Coin Forum

40+ 2009 P FY DDR's

I have greatly enjoyed going through several 04/09 LP2 penny boxes and finding several DDR 01-04's. It seems that the major TPG co.s do not share my enthusiasm concerning these modern day errors. I have lived through the WI quarter experience and seen their values collapse. It appears to me and I am open to comments that the typical Ebayer likes each new "coin event" such as WI quarters, MN quarters, Oregon quarters, Godless dollars, OIV nickels, Speared Bison nickels but drops them like a ton of bricks when something new comes into play. I believe that the 2009 P FY DDR cents are simply another example of this trend. This is simply IMHO. I am thinking very seriously of selling more of my 2009 FY cents and buying some very low priced PCGS WI quarters. Maybe I am a fool for punishment but my thinking is two fold: I will wager a cup of coffee that the US Mints will continue to spit out thousands of DDR's DDO's in future coin production. This is a machine striking doubling that is getting to be common place. Second, how many coins can you say were the product of a (Denver) Mint die shop rouge who not only created their own coin design (variety); but, succeeded to get them into circulation ?
Specialized Investments

Comments

• If the WI high and low leaves are down then it bodes very, very, very badly for the Lincoln DDRs.

The WIs had far fewer numbers
    Just 2 unique variations
    Huge press coverage
    Reccognition by TPGs
    Error obvious to naked eye

I doubt any but the highest grades of 2009-P DDRs will be worth the grading fees

• << <i>If the WI high and low leaves are down then it bodes very, very, very badly for the Lincoln DDRs.

Just 2 unique variations
    Huge press coverage
    Reccognition by TPGs

I doubt any but the highest grades of 2009-P DDRs will be worth the grading fees >>

Are you sure on the numbers? Some of the lincolns look to be in the 20-50k range. Some may be even less. WDDR17?
    Ok I'll agree here, but wexler recognizes every little variety so figure the first 13 then a select few from there......
    Who needs press when you have hsn?
    ANACS currently NGC & PCGS will follow suit when they see enough money in it. Think they did this with the quarters also.....
    I can see them with the naked eye. Now granted I have trememndous vision but it doesnt matter THEYRE A LINCOLN!

Few things to ponder. State quarters are not chased by a lot of serious collectors. Its the 100th anniversary of the lincoln cent. This is the most widely collected U.S. coin series by numismatists. I had to say that since peoiple would say "state quarters, state quarters" when we know most of the people included in those numbers are people who just pick them out of change and collect nothing else.

• << <i>

<< <i>If the WI high and low leaves are down then it bodes very, very, very badly for the Lincoln DDRs.

Just 2 unique variations
    Huge press coverage
    Reccognition by TPGs

I doubt any but the highest grades of 2009-P DDRs will be worth the grading fees >>

Are you sure on the numbers? Some of the lincolns look to be in the 20-50k range. Some may be even less. WDDR17?
    Ok I'll agree here, but wexler recognizes every little variety so figure the first 13 then a select few from there......
    Who needs press when you have hsn?
    ANACS currently NGC & PCGS will follow suit when they see enough money in it. Think they did this with the quarters also.....
    I can see them with the naked eye. Now granted I have trememndous vision but it doesnt matter THEYRE A LINCOLN!

Few things to ponder. State quarters are not chased by a lot of serious collectors. Its the 100th anniversary of the lincoln cent. This is the most widely collected U.S. coin series by numismatists. I had to say that since peoiple would say "state quarters, state quarters" when we know most of the people included in those numbers are people who just pick them out of change and collect nothing else. >>

How about I just say that I'm sure the Lincoln DDRs will be just as valuable as the 40+ MN DDRs and the Ocean in View DDRs......................
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Hopefully, much more so!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I firmly believe that the "trend" you are referring to has been around for a long, long time and it has little to do with actual "coin collecting" and has more to do with those looking to cash in on "the next big thing". There is nothing wrong with this but it should never get confused in any way with collecting coins that have lasting value.

These "trends" are fueled by eBay and easy internet access and it just does not get any simpler than that.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Hub Doubling are not errors. and do you see that they are coming out of one mint.
    Never give up the hunt!
    25 inf 1/14 Gold Dragons ,never surrender, over come and adapt
    and hold at all cost!
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

I think the prices suffer from having so many different minor varieties. If it was one variety or if there was one bigger variety the price would be better. They're still neat but not neat like the big ones.

The high/low leaf quarters were lucky there were only realy 2 types (from 2 dies) so they have more hope to keep a decent price over time.

Let's keep hoping for a big one. image

Ed
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These multitudinous minor variants create a temporary demand, mostly fueled by immediate availability. The fever will die down - very few last and even fewer become established 'must haves'..such as the '55 DDO. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file