Home Metal Detecting
Options

a place to consider

I have found coins at road intersections, on the sand shoulders, a place where a rider may have been dropped off or a new rider gets in. In any event coins have a tendency to slide out of our pockets and drop out when we exit a car or truck. Can you think of a place in your area that might be worth searching?
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Under my couch or my recliner. image

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the passenger seats of my car? If these guys are losing change getting in and out... imagine how much they lose when they're in!!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The farmers market after everyone leaves... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RickO has the farmers market one right. It's better if it's on grass but you can find change on the pavement too. I guess they're to tired to pick it up.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip.

I like churches, especially old ones. Try to find the area right out front where a husband may have let his wife out because it was raining maybe. Plus all the traffic funnels towards the front door also.

I have even found a few old churches in Missouri that have what I call "Stage Stops". These are 'posts' that are maybe two or three feet high where a stage coach would have pulled next to to let someone step down.
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if you really want a good place walk the student parking lots at your local high school when it's in session and on Saturday mornings after a big football game. Major League Baseball and Football stadiums are another good spot. I just ride my bike down the rows of parking spots and let the sun show me the coins.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I found a mint condition Canadian dime at a parking lot earlier this year in Lake George NY. I happened to be looking down and saw it reflecting. I theorize that it had been dropped earlier that day because there was not a scratch on it, and the affects of the weather had not affected it yet. It had snowed earlier in the week and the plows didn't run it down either.

What my pointless post is getting at is parking lots! I've found a lot of coins, almost all cents, just by looking where I am going. I even found a 1947 D cent on the floor in Target earlier this year.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eyeballing parking lots has brought me all types and quantities of coins.. and bills.. up to and including a $20 bill. Lots of cents, dimes and quarters. A couple of halves. I think often the coins/bills come out of the pocket with the keys when they are going to their car. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    When I'm out biking I always swing through the local car wash, paying careful attention to the vacuum areas. Last year I tracked the money I picked up in that one location alone, it totaled $107.75! I decided to again track the same area this year. As of June 30 I've found $53.93. Exercize pays in more ways than one! image
    Be Still and Know