Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A BIG thanks goes out to Curly... UPDATE!

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the latest three additions to my set of MPLs. Every single coin a masterpiece, and a testament to originality, which has become the hallmark of my collection. First came the blazing fireball PR67RB 1910, and last night came the prettiest PR66RB 1911, and another red-hot PR67RB 1913. Having reached what I set out to accomplish over a year ago, I have decided to bring back its original name, "Matt's Mattes". And I think it's worth adding that 5 of these nine coins still reside in coveted "Old Green Holders", and yet three more reside appreciably in "Seven Digit Blues".

So here it is, debuting for the first time in its entirety:

Matt's Mattes

PR65RB - OGH
PR66RB - OGH
PR67RB - OGH
PR66RB - SDB (CAC)
PR66RB - OGH
PR67RB - SDB (CAC)
PR66BN - The lone recently graded coin!
PR66RB - SDB (CAC)
PR66RB - OGH

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Matt. You got still more stunners. I know Jack will be very pleased with your former 1913, a stunner in it's own right. You both did well.image
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Glad you like them brother, A deal that worked out for everyone. Mrs curly asked me what her end of the deal would be. I was so excited I couldn't hold back. I told her she was getting a brand new dove tail jig. She was so appreciative that she got tears in her eyes and hasn't said a word since. Bless her heart. Lord, I do love that old woman.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    imageimageimage Never underestimate the true "manliness" involved in cultivating the ability to really please a woman. We should all be taking notes here. Jack, you are a man among men.
  • Options

<< <i> I told her she was getting a brand new dove tail jig. She was so appreciative that she got tears in her eyes and hasn't said a word since. >>

She's probably trying to figure out how to make a nice new rolling pin Jack. Watch out when they're not talking, it's not natural.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>She's probably trying to figure out how to make a nice new rolling pin Jack. Watch out when they're not talking, it's not natural.image >>

I gotta tell ya bro, that old woman has a good eye, lightning speed and amazing accuracy.

One day, she told me she was going to introduce me to Mr. Thunder. About the time I decided that I didn't like that Mr. Thunder fella very much, she introduced me to... Mr. Lightning!

I hate it when the neighbors start hollering out to one another...CURLYS' DOWN AGAIN!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    amazing set there
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Congrats Matt,

Your set is super nice! Lots of "OHG" and screams with originality, well done!
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Congrats.

Amazingly enough, if one were to read your amazing descriptions and THEN saw the coins there'd be absolutely no surprises. Great writing.

I have a special fond memory of that '13. image
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing.
  • Options
    MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Wow!

That is a beautiful set! Thanks for sharing!

Mark
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coins, I do believe the 1915 is my fav, I am a big fan of the woodgrainers. The 1915 has just a hint of it, a real looker.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set image

I like the looks of the '09 and the '15 the best.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow, love the colors!! Amazing collection and glad a nice guy like Renomed owns these.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Been away from the PC this weekend, and it's sure nice to come in on Monday and read the posts. It's really interesting to hear about what coins are whose favorites. Lately, I've been a "colorful coin" guy, preferring coins with vivid toning over those with "garden variety" looks. Personally, I don't think any of these coins is "garaden variety" as I consider them all to be unique in some way. It's just really cool to have coins like the 1909 and the 1915 singled out as favorites by others when my eye always follows the greens and blues and purples. Must be a defect image The truth of the matter is that for years, I've strived for "red" and only recently have begun to cultivate an appreciation for other colors. Regardless, you guys are great, and it's been fun getting to know you all over the past couple of years. Never underestimate the power of the PCGS message boards for the purpose of mental health, as I'll bet most of us don't get too much "collector support" at home.
  • Options

Brother, I'd like to see them in person sometime. We'll meet up somewhere down the road.
  • Options
    It's hard to pick a favorite. The contrasting green and magenta of the 1911 appeals to me, but so does the deep blue of 1912 and 1914. But, not a single one of them is dull or unremarkable.

As for support at home, it's nice that I have a spouse who at least tolerates my interest. Given that it's my one expensive habit, and it's packing away items that can offer a return in the long run, she's OK with it and on occasion even encouraging.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    That is a beautiful set. That Curly is no stooge.
    Andy
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    the 1910 and 1911 really appeal to me. The colors are just beautiful!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG! Those are some of the most amazing MPL's I've ever seen! I could look at them all day long! And Curly, what can I say - your copper is enjoyed by us all,whether it's through your own set or others' sets .... You both should be so very proud. Personally, I am partial to the 1914 - you know me, I love blue/purple/magenta toned copper.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    You know, I've been looking at this set a lot lately, and it occurred to me that probably the best name for it is the name I gave it when I got started off. You know, back when my head was filled with tons of absurd ideals that I never imagined could actually come to pass. Well, now I'm feeling pretty good about the set I've built, but after only a few days, I've started to get tired of the too long and overblown name that I had finally assigned to it: "The Chapman "Hallmark of Originality" Collection", and even "The Chapman Collection" started to seem a bit pompous. So, it's back to basics. It's just "Matt's Mattes". And I think that's how it's going to stay. image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Those have such a nice look to them. Well done.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    We're all aware that it often takes more then one person to build a great collection of MPLs, and the Matt-Curly team have truly created a special set that bursts with eye appeal. The OGHs add to the charm and are icing on the cake. Well done.
  • Options
    Well, I owe Curly another big debt of gratitude. For a while now I've been finding myself late at night lusting over pictures of his beautiful crusty lustrous 1915. Yeah, I know my old woodgrainer is a favorite to some, but there's just something about that crust, and the circle of green target toning that flips my lid. So there it is. We worked out a deal, and with a little extra pocket change I was able to pry that sucker away. So, it's "so long, Woody" and "hello, target toner!" And make no mistake, the new coin is definitely a better fit for the set. Now, with four Ex. Slattery coins in my set, it's starting to look like a tribute band. What can I say? That Jack sure knows how to pick 'em!
  • Options
    Very nice!!! Congratulations....
  • Options
    Well that's certainly one way to get Jack's set out of retirement.image Congratulations to both of you.
  • Options
    Amazing set, Matt, and I'd take that dark non-red looking 1914 off your hands any day!
  • Options
    I wonder if they're going to have to expand from RD, RB, and BN to include green, blue, purple, orange, and various combinations? A blue-violet toned cent has got to be more noteworthy than one that's plain dull brown, all other factors being completely equal.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if they're going to have to expand from RD, RB, and BN to include green, blue, purple, orange, and various combinations? A blue-violet toned cent has got to be more noteworthy than one that's plain dull brown, all other factors being completely equal. >>

They ARE worth more, but PCGS will probably never make the distinction. In this case, you have to vote with your pocketbook.
  • Options

<< <i>Amazing set, Matt, and I'd take that dark non-red looking 1914 off your hands any day! >>

I suppose you'll be wanting this one tooimage

PR66BN - OGH (CAC)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Amazing set, Matt, and I'd take that dark non-red looking 1914 off your hands any day! >>

I suppose you'll be wanting this one tooimage

PR66BN - OGH (CAC) >>

YES, PLEASE! So you'll bring this one and the 1914 to the Fremont or Santa Clara shows for me???
  • Options
    Well, you know what they say, Charmy... always keep them begging for more! Seriously though, I've seen how you look at these coins. Let's just say that I don't want to tempt fate image
  • Options

<< <i>Well, you know what they say, Charmy... always keep them begging for more! Seriously though, I've seen how you look at these coins. Let's just say that I don't want to tempt fate image >>

You just don't want me to make you an offer you couldn't refuse! By the way, my husband says he wishes I'd look at him the way I look at toned copper!