Home Sports Talk
Options

Jeter: He Didn't Tag Me; Umpire: He Didn't Have To ...

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
Umpire told Jeter that he didn't need to be tagged in order to be called out. All I can say is wow, that sucks. Here's my favorite part:

"I was baffled by the explanation," Jeter said. "I was told I was out because the ball beat me and he didn't have to tag me. I was unaware of that change in the rules."

And my second favorite part:

"It used to be if the ball beat you, you were out, but it isn't that way anymore." - Crew chief John Hirschbeck

USED TO BE?! I can't believe it ever was!

Makes you wonder if a runner beats a ball to home plate, but doesn't tag home plate, whether the run would still count.

Umpire Forster: Jeter, you're out.
Jeter: Why?
Umpire Forster: You didn't touch home plate before the catcher tagged you with the ball.
Jeter: Yeah, but I beat the ball to home plate.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    If this was Choo Freeman who was beaten to the bag 2 full seconds by the ball would we even be talking about this?
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I had an up tell me that a runner was out at second because the second baseman intended to catch the ball. We both agreed the second baseman didn't drop the ball reaching in to turn the DP. So I declare my runner safe and instruct him to stay on the base. Umpire says not so fast. "He intended to catch it, he is OUT!"

Jeter isn't going to get any close calls the rest of his life. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cards fans can now rest assured that Jorge Orta was indeed safe in Game 6 of the 1985 WS. He was close enough. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If this was Choo Freeman who was beaten to the bag 2 full seconds by the ball would we even be talking about this?

Probably not, BUT if it was ANYONE on the Sillies and it cost them a game you bet your
    arse that YOU would be here whining about it!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cards fans can now rest assured that Jorge Orta was indeed safe in Game 6 of the 1985 WS. He was close enough. image >>

Even with a "close enough rule", Jorge Orta was out by about 17 steps, so it still wouldn't apply. That's how bad that call was! image

Shane

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cards fans can now rest assured that Jorge Orta was indeed safe in Game 6 of the 1985 WS. He was close enough. image >>

Even with a "close enough rule", Jorge Orta was out by about 17 steps, so it still wouldn't apply. That's how bad that call was! image >>

I agree it was a horrible call. However, Whitey could have made the call irrelevant if he managed Game 7 instead of whining about Game 6.
  • Options
    I was watching the game - first of all, Jeter probably shouldn't have been running from second with nobody out in the inning. The throw beat him barely, but the tag was pretty obviously missed. Jeter had every right to be upset - that's probably the first time I've ever seen him argue a call... If I'm correct, he has never been ejected from a game. Some pretty crappy umpiring, something I've seen quite a bit of this season...
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was watching the game - first of all, Jeter probably shouldn't have been running from second with nobody out in the inning. The throw beat him barely, but the tag was pretty obviously missed. Jeter had every right to be upset - that's probably the first time I've ever seen him argue a call... If I'm correct, he has never been ejected from a game. Some pretty crappy umpiring, something I've seen quite a bit of this season... >>

Jeter has NEVER been ejected. Interestingly, Hirschbeck tried to bail his crew members out and acknowledge Jeter by saying, "In my 27 years in the big leagues, he (Jeter) is probably the classiest person I've been around." Considering the blown call, explaination and backtracking and Jeter not making an issue other than repeating what he was told, I would expect him to get the benefit of the calls the remainder of his career. He had a legitimate opportunity to bury Foster, but took the high road. The same cannot be said for Hirschbeck's crew which tossed Manny the next night after calling him out on strikes on balls WELL out of the strike zone. Manny's gripe was legit, but his actions were just Manny being Manny and demonstrates that the umps may be a little less tollerant with regard to PED violators.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I'm correct, he has never been ejected from a game. ... >>

You are correct.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    If this were the NBA Jeter would be fined more than my annual salary for trying to use that sort of logic
    Tom