Home Sports Talk
Options

John Smoltz - is it time to call it quits?

From the Bleacher report:

On July 6, John Smoltz made his third appearance for the Red Sox and his first at Fenway Park.

Smoltz was beaten by the light-hitting Oakland Athletics 6-0. He allowed 10 hits and five earned runs in six innings.

The Red Sox have lost all three games Smoltz has started. Over that span, he has allowed 20 hits, three walks and 11 earned runs in 15 innings. His ERA is 6.60, and his record is 0-2.

This begs the question, how much does Smoltz have left in the tank?

His fastball, once in the mid to high 90's, now hovers at around 91-92 MPH and appears to be fooling no one.

The most alarming thing about Smoltz's recent lack of success is the fact that all of his outings have come against relatively poor-hitting teams.

On June 25, Smoltz faced the Washington Nationals, one of the worst-hitting teams in the majors. He went five innings, gave up seven hits, and allowed five earned runs.

I keep hearing people say, "Be patient, he still needs to get his legs under him."

Well, Smoltz himself was saying that he felt good enough that he could have come back a month sooner, but the Red Sox had him on a time table and had no immediate need for him in the rotation at the time.

Does that sound like the words of a man that didn't have his legs under him?

Just how many starts are the Sox going to give this guy before they realize that it is a failed experiment?

They took a gamble on the guy and lost. It happens. It's time to move on to another option.

Other teams in the same situation may leave him in the rotation and see if he can get it straightened out. The Red Sox are different from other teams—they have options, and strong ones at that.

Its time to give the kids down on the farm another chance. Theo Epstein has done a wonderful job of stock piling the farm system with pitching.

I say its time to dip into that resource and give Clay Buchholz or Micheal Bowden another shot.

John Smoltz is a Hall of Fame pitcher, and in his day, he was one of the most dominant and fearsome competitors in the game.

Unfortunately, father time catches up to us all at some point.

I think I hear a knock John's door.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember Carlton getting beatup out there and it was painful to watch...from a fan perspective it appeared as though he could still pitch and of course Carlton fervently believed he could still pitch, but the bigs have a way of letting you know when your time is up...whether ya like it or not.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Smoltz's peripheral numbers are still good. In 15 innings he has stuck out 10, walked three and given up no HRs. The league is hitting .364 against him on balls in play. That is absurdly high and is indicative of bad luck. If he continues to get Ks, not walk people, and not give up HRs, he should be OK.
  • Options
    I agree with stevek the bigs let you know when its time to move on. This probably is Smoltzl last gasp!
  • Options
    If Boston can find enough bandaids until September, none of 2009 will count toward arbitration eligibility. Seems the bleacher report should so some homework
    Tom
  • Options
    As a Braves fan, it kills me just to see him in a Red Sox uni. Wish he had just called it quits after last year.
  • Options
    i dont understand why suckholz isnt pitching with the big club at this point.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WAY to early to give up on Smoltz. Lester has had 3 games stretches worse than that -- should we give up on him?

That being said, I think Sucholz should get a shot -- perhaps work him in when the rosters expand.
  • Options

<< <i>WAY to early to give up on Smoltz. Lester has had 3 games stretches worse than that -- should we give up on him?

That being said, I think Sucholz should get a shot -- perhaps work him in when the rosters expand. >>

What's up with the B's avatar and calling him Sucholz image

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>WAY to early to give up on Smoltz. Lester has had 3 games stretches worse than that -- should we give up on him?

That being said, I think Sucholz should get a shot -- perhaps work him in when the rosters expand. >>

What's up with the B's avatar and calling him Sucholz image >>

I think the correct spelling is Suchholz.

Clay earned the name last year. Doing well in the minors doesn't "unearn" the moniker. Doing well in MLB will get his real name back. Luso and Blew haven't done much either to fix theirs, but I would say Okajima has shed his 2008 nickname of Chokajima.

Of course, we retain the right to slap a tag on any player that lets us down!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's up with the B's avatar and calling him Sucholz image >>

It's a term of endearment. image