Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1979 O-Pee-Chee OPC Ozzie Smith PSA 10

I know only 2 of these exist and I am the owner of 1 of them. I was just curious is someone might have had the other one crossed into a different company's holder. I know that it sold for $3,900 not too long ago but I want to know if it is still slabbed by PSA. If you own the other one and you are out there, please let me know if you still have it. Thanks

Trevmo

Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's and 1949 Bowman PSA 5's
Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!

Comments

• TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    This is the one I purchased a few months ago. If the other one is still out there, I would like to know.
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Great card! I'll go out on a limb and say that the other 10 is probably still out there. You would have to have some major cajones to crack it out of a PSA 10 to send it to SGC or Beckett. And I imagine the "value" of the card would probably be less in another company's holder.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • I agree. No one would be dumb enough to cross it or crack it out and resub to another company. Why would you even consider crossing it?
  • i used to have pictures of them both but they don't seem to be on this computer. i will check my other archive when i get home. i owned part of one of them... i wonder if it's the one you have now image
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great card! I'll go out on a limb and say that the other 10 is probably still out there. You would have to have some major cajones to crack it out of a PSA 10 to send it to SGC or Beckett. And I imagine the "value" of the card would probably be less in another company's holder. >>

I sold a 1955 Bowman Whitey Ford PSA 10 Gem Mint card that was crossed to SGC 98 Gem Mint. It happens-

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Personally, I'd rather have the 55 Whitey in an SGC 98 too if it were in my collection.
    White Whales:
    If you have pics of that card and you might have owned it before, let me know. Thats interesting stuff. Also, I'm not sure about the whole scandal going on with Mastro and SGC but do you guys think that will drive there prices down or just make more people switch to PSA? Interesting to find out.

Looking to buy Ozzie Smith PSA 10's and 1949 Bowman PSA 5's especially #53 Jack Kramer
  • i forgot to look for pics last night. hopefully i remember tonight.
    White Whales:
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that a card that Da Meat Hook owns? I seem to remember that he was buying OPC HOF'er PSA 10's. Maybe I'm misremembering.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Nice Ozzie OPC PSA 10. OPC must have switched over to a nice smooth blade before they cut that one from the sheet. I dont see any sign of a rough cut on that card image
  • i can't find my images. i'll go dig around cardtarget to see if mike happened to keep them up there for some reason.

i do think i remember dmitri bought one of the psa10 opc ozzies
    White Whales:
  • here's an old thread on cardtarget where we had a discussion about a few sales of the OPC 10's. if you dig around that message board some more you should also find the one i owned half of... i can't find pictures their either though.

Cardtarget Ozzie Discussion
    White Whales:
    Interesting stories on that forum page. I know that 1 of the 2 OPC Ozzie's sold for 3,900 not too long ago and I didn't pay near that much for this one. Looking at the scans of that one showed a small stain or something on the back. I'm thinking someone took a loss when they sold this to me or the guy before him took a loss if these were trading hands for 3,500+ not too long ago. Either way, this card won't be seeing another hand for a long time. I'm gonna hold on to this one until I can pass it down to the kids and I am only 24 years old right now, so it's gonna be a while.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I appreciate it.

DavidPuddy,
    You were right about Da Meat Hook owning the other card. I found the other one listed on an old auction site and it sold for 3,800. Then I took the cert number and typed it into PSA and found that Dmitri Young got the custom label that says "Dmitri Young Collection".

All in all, it is really cool owning one of only 2 PSA 10 OPC rookies from Ozzie and Dmitri Young owns the other one. I know he won't be selling his anytime soon and neither will I. My wife was even more excited than me when she found out Dmitri holds the other one. I am very jealous of his collection!
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    That is pretty cool. That's a card that I don't see going up very much on the POP report. Great card.
    I think Young has several other OPC HOF'er PSA 10's. Eck, Murray, ect.
    DP
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    I agree. I don't think the Pop report is gonna get too many more 10's. That is a tough card to get in high grade. Dmitri has so many good cards that I only dream of having. I can get the same cards but nowhere near the grades he has them in. I tried to find a link to his collection online. I thought he had a website where he showed off his collection. Is this true?
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    As a random aside regarding Dimitri Young, I played baseball against him in high school. Actually, I sat on the pine while he played. The first time up, he hit a grand slam. The 2nd time up, a solo shot. The third time up, we walked him with the bases loaded! Did I mention that he was a sophomore at the time?

B
    Dmitri can play some ball. I wish I had an encounter with him. I liked watching him play and I think he would be a pretty funny guy to hang out with.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i'm sure if you took an informal poll, you'd find that several of us here have had some kind of contact with Dmitri over the years.....heck, i briefly held one of his signed checks, but i cashed it since it was worth significantly more than the signature. image

i know he has a few in his hoard which i once had graded, so i take a small amount of pride these days in knowing there are a few things in my collection which Dmitri DOESN'T have. image
    Yeah, that guy has an amazing stash of cards. I don't have anything in my collection that he couldn't have if he wanted it. Hopefully, some day I will meet him and chat about cards for a while. I'll tell him that I own the other OPC Ozzie PSA 10 and see what he says. He will probably look at me a little confused because I am only 24 years old and don't look like the collecting type. image
  • jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Whereas Dmitri looks exactly like the card collecting type.
  • Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I agree... In that year, the 1955 Bowman looks better in a SGC slab!
    Dmitri doesn't LOOK like the collector type but he is a professional athlete. It's understandable that he would be into collecting. I am just the average joe, he isn't. But, he definitely does not look like a collector of baseball cards if you saw him on the street and didn't know who he was.