Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Coin Surgeon - Is this cool or what?

Recently, I have had the pleasure of meeting Dave Clouts, the "Coin Surgeon" whose business is located at www.coinsurgeon.com. Subsequently, I've started collecting Dave's wonderful coin carvings. His work is excellent and detailed, and his prices very reasonable. He does custom work relating to any U.S. or foreign series. The Peace Dollar is one of my favorites, and I encourage my fellow collectors to take a look at Dave's hard work.

Enjoy!

Duane

**Edited to add: Dave email is dbcouts@netscape.net for all questions.** image

Peace Dollar (Obv)

Peace (Rev)

German 5 Mark

Walking Liberty

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that done with wire EDM or by hand?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one very similar to this...

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Is that done with wire EDM or by hand? >>

Hopefully, Dave will come in when he sees this post and answer questions. They are as far as I know all hand crafted with a jeweler's saw!

They would make great avatars, as robec observed.
  • Options

<< <i>I have one very similar to this...

image >>

That is really nice....
  • Options
    GFourDriverGFourDriver Posts: 2,366
    He has some very nice stuff.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

I like them all...

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Yikes! That took a long bloody time, I'm sure. Quite beautiful, as it reminds us that coins are art.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of people who make jewelry like this. I have a money clip of a Morgan reverse with all of the letters, the eagle, everything there except the dead space. Parts have been polished with a gold or silver wash. Looks very nice!

Here is the dealer:
    Coin jewelry

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inspired.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long does it take to cut out a Morgan dollar? Whay do they use? Saw? Laser?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Nice stuff...........the 5 mark really got my attention.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    last summer I was in Victoria BC and a street vendor was doing this - he said a small drill then saw - I can't remember if electric jigsaw or dremel or hand
  • Options
    papabearpapabear Posts: 849 ✭✭
    Hay Duane where did you find this one listed???

Thank You Papabear image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace Dollar (Obv)
    Peace (Rev)

I'd guess AU-29 because half of it's missing.
  • Options

<< <i>Hay Duane where did you find this one listed???

Thank You Papabear image >>

Hey, Papabear -

Try asking Dave Clouts directly at dbcouts@netscape.net, or the business website is located at www.coinsurgeon.com.

Good luck.

Duane
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    It's done with a jeweler's saw. I have a friend who does it, and if I showed him this thread, he would say "I could do better".

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>It's done with a jeweler's saw. I have a friend who does it, and if I showed him this thread, he would say "I could do better".

-Paul >>

Sounds like a "saw-off" image
  • Options
    It looks like the letters on the Peace dollar are just floating there, not attached to anything
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Those are cool. A few years back i bought about 50 different pieces for just a couple dollars each. I have been yold that a long time ago some convicts in the big house did a lot of this stuff. I do not know if it is true but..... I had a few pairs of mercury dimes that were made into errings. My wife was not impressed. It must just be a man thing.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent a total of 7 weeks doing a Walker cutout back in high school, for a jewelry class. By hand with a jewelry saw - took a little more than a dozen saw blades (they break very easily with any lateral torsion). Got an A on it and promptly gave it to my girlfriend.

Both are long since gone from my life, but I still have all of the memories.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are cool. A few years back i bought about 50 different pieces for just a couple dollars each. I have been yold that a long time ago some convicts in the big house did a lot of this stuff. I do not know if it is true but..... I had a few pairs of mercury dimes that were made into errings. My wife was not impressed. It must just be a man thing. >>

Maybe she found out how much you paid for them.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking group
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    I emailed The Coin Surgeon a few weeks ago about purchasing an item but he never responded. I suppose it's possible my email never made it, but can someone verify he's still in business?
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    anyone?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work... there used to be a gentlemen who would set up a kiosk in the South Center Mall in Seattle with this type of coin jewelry. Then, about four years ago, he stopped coming. Do not know why.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file