Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are bicentennial quarters worth anything over face?

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
For some reason....there have been a ton in the cash registers where I work. I mean rolls upon rolls. I have seen more than half of the quarter bin filled with them!

Someone finally cash out after years of holding them hoping they would go up in value?

Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circulated, clad bicentennial quarters are generally worth face value only.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Circulated, clad bicentennial quarters are generally worth face value only. >>

What he said. Except for the 1976-D DDO-1 quarter, which is worth a big premium.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    ya i think one would have to be a nice gem just to budge the needle.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Circulated, clad bicentennial quarters are _________ worth face value ______. . >>

I agree with nearly all of what Tom B says.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    What does the ddo look like?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Circulated, clad bicentennial quarters are generally worth face value only. >>

There was someone several years ago with a standing offer to pay 28 cents each for these, I believe he ran a regular classified ad in CW.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For comparison, a couple of 1976 PCGS PR69DCAM quarters just ended on eBay tonight for $8.60/Clad and $13.60/Silver.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭

<< <i>There was someone several years ago with a standing offer to pay 28 cents each for these, I believe he ran a regular classified ad in CW. >>

Yes. The guy in the back of Coin World currently pays $11.50 per roll for these (or 28.75 cents each.) On eBay they go for around $14-$15.00 per roll.

Also, I'm not surprised that a lot more of these are turning up in circulation all of a sudden. It's definitely a sign of the economy... many people are cashing in their coin collections just to try and make ends meet. This is further evidenced by the fact that the Mint's circulating coin production figures have fallen off a cliff in 2009.
  • FoxerFoxer Posts: 164 ✭✭
    My grandma used to save them whenever she found one in circulation.
    For several years I would give her whatever I found and after she died we had collected about 3 mason jars full.
    I ended up just cashing in on them because they aren't worth much more than face in circulated condition.

However; the experience probably fueled my current coin collecting addiction.

And it made me feel good to be giving things to help her, no matter what the face value was.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

There was someone several years ago with a standing offer to pay 28 cents each for these, I believe he ran a regular classified ad in CW. >>

When you factor in shipping costs, it would be cheaper to just spend them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I agree with nearly all of what Tom B says.

and well you should

The roll i "bought" all look unc.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    What exactly is this 1976-D DDO-1 quarter?

How would I recognize its markings. I hoard many bicentennial quarters thinking they were worth something. The silver quarters are certainly still good to hoard, though. That type of picking is still worthwhile with the way silver prices have been going.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    Ankur,

for a pic of the Denver DDO go here and scroll to the bottom

www.brunkauctions.com

• My local dealer gives me them in change.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw the picture, but since I am very novice when it comes to lightside coins, I cannot see what to look for still. I have some quarters with the letter D behind Washington's hair tail. Are the Letters "LIB" double striked or something?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ankur,

for a pic of the Denver DDO go here and scroll to the bottom >>

Found a circ DDO 10 years ago and sold it for $125.00 it was f/vf.
    I have the habit of keeping them from change. Good Luck

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
    Wow...ressurection of a two year old thread!
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow...ressurection of a two year old thread! >>

On the US Coin Forum, you will live forever! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, its a good thing I got rid of aol dialup or you would see this reply in 2013

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well now. I guess I should look in here for a DDO - I bought 5 UNC Denver rolls a few years ago from my local shop for $11 each.
    I opened one roll, and sold a couple others. I still have 2 unopened, but I have never checked them with a loupe.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always something new to check... I have a box of bicentennials.... guess maybe I saved them for a reason. Cheers, RickO
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Dang, its a good thing I got rid of aol dialup or you would see this reply in 2013

Steve >>

One of the primary reasons for my continued stay here is due to the joy derived from the laughter others instill.
    Thank you for that !!!
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to go searching all of my saved 76-D quarters.......image
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Also, I'm not surprised that a lot more of these are turning up in circulation all of a sudden. It's definitely a sign of the economy... many people are cashing in their coin collections just to try and make ends meet. This is further evidenced by the fact that the Mint's circulating coin production figures have fallen off a cliff in 2009. >>

Which is why 40% halves, and Ike Dollars are making frequent appearances in my bank's teller drawers until I occasion them. Also seeing many older USA notes like 1934 and 1950 etc.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file