Home U.S. Coin Forum

What are your concerns with this key date Barber?

Suppose a person was to consider buying this key date Barber Quarter.

Just by using Ebay seller "professional" pictures, what would your concerns be other than the one stated flaw (an obverse scratch). I've got a few issues in mind, but would like to hear from others.

Comments

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    1. Probably not real. The mintmark is all messed up.

and even if it is real...
    2. The toning is ugly.
    3. It doesn't appear to be an XF
    4. It should be in an NCS or Genuine holder
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Yep, something aint right about that mintmark, not to mention it has ten foot poll marks all over it.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,266 ✭✭✭
    Is that an "S" or a "O" I see?

Here's the reverse of a PCGS certified 1896-S:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • The mint mark appears strange indeed. Steve, it does resemble an "O" MM more so than an "S". However, according to BCCS, the date and MM seems to have correct placement.

Parts of the surface also seem porous. Maybe the coin has been plated (like electro-plated) and then worn?? It's hard to say. Do you think?

Steve, that's a beautiful 96-S.
  • I agree, the mm looks more like a 5 than an s. I looked at his feedback back to Jan. mostly shipping and attitude problems, but the further back I got I noticed more and more about cleaned, and improperly graded coins. 28 neg. feedback in one year, I'd take my business elsewhere.image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the others. The coin is raw when it should be certified, it was very little eye appeal and mint mark might be a mangled "O."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pitted, with a mint-mark added? Ugly too?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Well, somebody likes it...... The bid is up over a thousand.

Shipping is ridiculous: $18 plus insurance?
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks sticky...

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • I dont have any concerns as I dont buy raw coins on ebay image
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

The MM looks like a 5 instead of an S.

It could have been a hit on the MM causing
    the top to flatten out. If I found it in a dealer's
    junk-box, I'd pay melt value for it; its worth
    sending it in for a Genuine holder. It certainly
    isn't worth what its selling for now though...
    especially raw.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, somebody likes it...... The bid is up over a thousand.

Shipping is ridiculous: $18 plus insurance? >>

The only area where I might disagree is the shipping charge. Have you sent anything registered and insured lately? The cost of that service is headed toward the moon. Then when you add the shipping box and the drive to the post office, shpping has become quite expensive.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Any time you see a rash, you have to worry that it may be a communicable disease. --Jerry
  • BAYOUBENGALBAYOUBENGAL Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    I agree with many past posters- other than the scratch, the ugly spots all over it and the fact it may be counterfit, iot looks GREAT to me.
    BAYOUBENGAL
    CFA, LSU AND ANA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file