Home Sports Talk
Options

Batting Triple Crown Watch 2009

Nearing the All-star break, with Pujols leading the league in HR and RBI's , he is getting ever so close to one of the hardest accomplishments in sports, THE BATTING TRIPLE CROWN....

HE is now batting .328, and the league leaders (wright and Ramirez) are batting .339........

only 11 points off the lead, but those are two established hitters who will be VERY hard to pass in Average..

I just have the feeling we are watching history, so enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't be too worried about Ramirez. He has very little protection in that lineup. You have to expect the Mets to get healthy and get on a roll sooner or later. If Beltran can get healthy, Wright would probably be his biggest competition on BA. Don't disregard players like Helton or Braun. Both are streaky players and would only need one late season month long hot streak to take the title.

Derosa in the lineup though, will only help Pujols.
  • Options
    We watched history with McGwire and Bonds too. Believe me, history isn't as exciting as it used to be.
    So forgive those of us who don't "enjoy" history being made anymore. No knock on Albert, but he is an
    extremely large guy with a big head like Barry. Not accusing, just making an observation.
  • Options
    I'm usually the one to throw in the Pujols/steroids accusations but I hope he is never linked with any proof.

The only thing I love more than baseball is my family. I am so disgruntled with baseball right now if we found out tomorrow that Pujols, Maddux, Ripken or Chipper Jones were users too, I would probably sell my entire baseball card collection and never watch a game again.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Pujols! I would love to see him get the Triple Crown, I think he is well capable of it..
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When is his contract up then the Yankees or Mets can steal him from the Cards.
  • Options
    After watching him destroy Twins pitchers, I think he will do it. The guy can rip it...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When is his contract up then the Yankees or Mets can steal him from the Cards. >>

Actually I would throw in some of my own money if the Sox would sign him.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    If The Cards dont resign Pujols, i think the fans would revolt.....he is a Lifer, like Musial, NO WAY Pujols trades Uniforms.....

Although it looks like David Ortiz needs the help.....

Talking about protection (or lack thereof)....have you see the Cards Lineup lately?
  • Options

<< <i>Talking about protection (or lack thereof)....have you see the Cards Lineup lately? >>

That's why I mentioned Derosa.

How many runs would the Yankees score if their 2-5 batting order looked like this:
    Jeter
    Teixeira
    Pujols
    Arod
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

updated 4:21 p.m. ET, Fri., Feb. 20, 2004
    JUPITER, Fla. - The Cardinals wanted to make sure Albert Pujols didn’t get away.

One of the team’s few homegrown stars in recent years, Pujols would have been eligible for free agency after the 2006 season. To keep him, the Cardinals gave Pujols a $100 million, seven-year contract on Friday, a deal that would be worth $111 million if St. Louis exercises an option for 2011.

“One of the best moments of my life,” Pujols said. “It’s great to be here today and not in Arizona. Everything was nice and smooth, everybody agreed on it. I’m just happy.”

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If anyone can get the triple crown it is that guy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>If anyone can get the triple crown it is that guy.

Steve >>

• Options
    WOW another 2 hr night!

up to 30 before the break!

• Options

<< <i>We watched history with McGwire and Bonds too >>

I definitely enjoyed watching McGwire in 98 and Bonds for most of his career. If you're not a baseball fan and don't enjoy it, why did you watch?

He might have a better chance than some cynics might think. Despite being seventh in the league, when teams stop pitching to him, it is that much easier to keep a high batting average; in homeruns Adrian Gonzalez plays in too tough a park; in RBIs better than even money with Fielder. Rough estimate would give him a 20% chance if he stays healthy
    Tom
  • Options
    SICK! The guy should break 61 this year... New home run KING...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    From what I remember, those heavy hitter's batting average usually dips too low at season's end and the triple crown doesn't happen.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>SICK! The guy should break 61 this year... New home run KING... >>

If he does break 61 and is proven clean he should be the new king!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>If he does break 61 and is proven clean he should be the new king! >>

He hasn't failed a drug test.
    He says he's clean.

What more, besides those, would be "proof" that he's clean?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>From what I remember, those heavy hitter's batting average usually dips too low at season's end and the triple crown doesn't happen. >>

true, that is why the feat is so difficult...especially with all those high average slap hitters
  • Options
    im rooting for pujols eventhough the last winner was a Red Sock- YAZ......(and Ted Wiiliams won it twice)
  • Options

<< From what I remember, those heavy hitter's batting average usually dips too low at season's end and the triple crown doesn't happen. >>

Generally that is true however Pujols does hit for a high average.

And if he does get walked a lot the at bats suffer but the average won't.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to congratulate the board. A Pujols thread that is 22 posts long and not one smart aleck comment.

(I know, here it comes!)

Shane

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I think Pujols is great for baseball, its a shame that we even have to question whether he is clean or not. I am just enjoying watching him play. He's like a man amongst boys out there right now.

Fandango, I like the position your sitting on right now, with the #2 Pujols RC registry in exsistance. Very impressive.

Msohn, I like the view from your #1 perch as well. Congrats!
  • Options
    another GRAND SLAM!

he is pulling away in HR w/ 31 and RBI w/ 82 and only 8 points behind Hanley---who may be better average competition than DWright...

Miller: How about Ellie's Collection? she is third on the pujols rookie list..

im working on the Pujols Master Set (2001) now..it includes all 193 cards from 2001, not just official RC's....
  • Options
    34 dingers...10 clear of 2nd place....

90 RBI.....8 ahead od 2nd, 21 ahead of 3rd place....

still .012 points behind Hanley who will be NEAR impossible to catch...

HANLEY STANDS BETWEEN ALBERT AND HISTORY!
  • Options
    Sooner or later, the discussion of Albert surpassing Gehrig as the best 1B ever will have to be addressed.

Both the era's they played in were condusive to the elite dominating the peasants, so that is pretty much equal.

I think I may have been wrong on Albert being two years older than his stated age. I don't know yet for certain...when he hits 35, if a sharp decline comes, then maybe he is.

But the main question remains to Fandango...if Albert does hit the triple crown this year, which hand will YOU use to celebrate??
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sooner or later, the discussion of Albert surpassing Gehrig as the best 1B ever will have to be addressed. >>

On paper, I could easily see Albert surpassing Gehrig. But in terms of the amorphous "greatness" standard, I think that might be a very tough sell.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>Sooner or later, the discussion of Albert surpassing Gehrig as the best 1B ever will have to be addressed.

Both the era's they played in were condusive to the elite dominating the peasants, so that is pretty much equal.

I think I may have been wrong on Albert being two years older than his stated age. I don't know yet for certain...when he hits 35, if a sharp decline comes, then maybe he is.

But the main question remains to Fandango...if Albert does hit the triple crown this year, which hand will YOU use to celebrate?? >>

hoopster admitting he may have been wrong??? wow

if he wins i will celebrate by putting up 10% of my collection onthebay....prices should be through the roof by then....

even in this economy, his big cards have been hitting record highs....the Bowman Chrome is going over $3000 RAW!
  • Options
    Sorry...Pujols is a great player and I know his cards are on fire, but $3000 for his Bowman Chrome is CRAZY!
  • Options
    why is $3000 crazy? there ar eless than 500....

its crazy that someone pays $2000 for a mantle that looks like it got run over....and there are over 100,000 mantle rookies!!!

• Options
    I agree on the Mantle too. I just can't see paying $3K for a card not even 10 years old. Pujols may win the Triple Crown and be the best player in baseball for years but that kind of money doesn't make sense to me. Nothing against people have bought the Pujols rookies looking for a windfall, that's just me.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think the thing to remember is that winning the triple crown does not mean you become the most collectible player either. Yes, there will be a spike of course but long term winning the triple crown doesn't make you #1 in the sport. Didn't Yaz win the triple crown? It did not make him the #1 player of his era for collectors... shoot, I can't even spell his name! Similar could be the case for Pujols. It will be HUGE in St. Louis and big for hard core baseball fans. However, the average sports fan won't care and would get much more excited about someone breaking the home run record, throwing a no-hitter, etc.... The triple crown is obviously an extremely difficult feat but I don't think it means as much to average fans as some other things. Will be interesting to watch what happens.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the thing to remember is that winning the triple crown does not mean you become the most collectible player either. Yes, there will be a spike of course but long term winning the triple crown doesn't make you #1 in the sport. Didn't Yaz win the triple crown? It did not make him the #1 player of his era for collectors... shoot, I can't even spell his name! Similar could be the case for Pujols. It will be HUGE in St. Louis and big for hard core baseball fans. However, the average sports fan won't care and would get much more excited about someone breaking the home run record, throwing a no-hitter, etc.... The triple crown is obviously an extremely difficult feat but I don't think it means as much to average fans as some other things. Will be interesting to watch what happens. >>

I think that there is a difference between Pujols winning one now versus Yastrzemski winning in 1967. In 1967, it was just a few short years ago that Mickey Mantle won a triple crown. It was more common back then. Now, since no one has done it in 42 years, I think it will be a much bigger deal.

Shane

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    [
    I think that there is a difference between Pujols winning one now versus Yastrzemski winning in 1967. In 1967, it was just a few short years ago that Mickey Mantle won a triple crown. It was more common back then. Now, since no one has done it in 42 years, I think it will be a much bigger deal. >>

Actually Yaz won it just one short year after Frank Robinson won it.
  • Options

<< <i>[
    I think that there is a difference between Pujols winning one now versus Yastrzemski winning in 1967. In 1967, it was just a few short years ago that Mickey Mantle won a triple crown. It was more common back then. Now, since no one has done it in 42 years, I think it will be a much bigger deal. >>

Actually Yaz won it just one short year after Frank Robinson won it. >>

Yep, you're right. I forgot.

Shane

• Options
    It was more common back then. Now, since no one has done it in 42 years, I think it will be a much bigger deal.

Good point. Will be interesting to see if Pujols can keep it up and what the reaction will be.
  • Options
    It was never common, even if 2 were won back to back.

Not even sure if 3 out of 11 years makes it common.

It is one of baseballs great achievements.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    0 for 2 today and before that ...

.208 BA
    .269 OBP
    .208 SLG
    0 HRs
    1 RBI
    5 Hits in 24 ABs ... in his last 6 games.

Pujols has cooled down quite a bit, though he still leads in HRs and RBIs. But now he is 25 points behind Ramirez in batting average. Triple Crown is going to be tough.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Good thing he did so well in the Home Run Derby...

(I have to applaud Jason Bay for making the smart decision and staying out of the Derby.)
  • Options
    Wonder why it doesn't happen so much anymore? I wouldn't say it used to be common, but now it's pretty much unheard if!! A couple guys did it twice, it was done back to back years, in fact in 1933 two guys did it! But nothing since '67....hope King Albert gets it done, he is an asset to the game.
  • Options
    looking less and less likely....

i really wish Pujols participate in the HR derby...those guys historically have TERRIBEL second halfs and Pujolsis falling right into that....

if he got to reat for 3 days instead, i think he would have continued where he left off.....
  • Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Pujols looks good for a possible shot at the crown but his HR's have slowed down lately. He needs to pick it up a little bit and see where he ends up at the end of the season.
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options
    Well, looks like no triple crown for Pujols. And there's a good possibility he doesn't lead the league in any of the triple crown categories at the end of the season. Regardless, however, .316 BA and on pace for 51 home runs and 137 RBIs is a fantastic season.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    once again (predictably), the HR derby takes a bite out of the Power leader at the break....what could have been if the all-star game wasnt in ST louis this year...for him it wasnt a break, it was WORKING OVERTIME....

Still haveing a great year, so League MVP (and hopefully WS MVP) will have to be the main goals this year...

...The Triple Crown...the most elusive Crown in all of Sports!
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that the home run derby is the culprit here. I don't have time to do the research so have no clue if your assertion is right that the "HR derby...those guys historically have TERRIBEL second halfs...." I just find it really hard to believe that one night of extra batting practice is the reason the guy has slowed down to more human numbers. The dude is a very strong guy who plays baseball every day of the year. I would imagine he hits balls, in the cage, like a HR derby a lot. I just can not fathom that would fatigue him so much that his numbers fall as they have. Maybe he just slowed down a little!? He is still putting up pretty good numbers. He will likely still win the MVP which isn't really so bad!
  • Options
    Fandango figured it out!

The reason the Triple Crown is on the verge of extinction is because of the Home Run Derby

It all makes so much sense
    Tom
  • Options
    Nice season but I guess no triple crown. He will probably win the MVP though so that's a nice consolation prize.