Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hypothetical Question - If Michael Jackson collected coins, would they bring a premium on liquidatio

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
............. based upon them being owned by the King Of Pop.

This hypothetical does not have to use Michael Jackson's name, but since he died last week and is in the public eye, I chose him.

The same question could be applied to Elvis, Neil Armstrong, any of the recent US Presidents, Michael Jordan or some other such person with world wide fame.

I would expect some premium to exist. How much would it be? Have there been any previous instances where the collection of a famous [specifically fame in the general public as opposed to fame in the hobby] person who died is liquidated and sold and the prices far exceeded expectations simply due to the fame of the owner?

Comments

• Options
    Well at least he wore gloves when he handled his coins, if he had any....

I think they would demand a premium, that is for sure
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    I would guess that yes, they would bring a premium.

I also would think a lot of that premium would come from non-coin collectors who were fans of The King of Pop, or whomever.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    only if they get CAC stickers...

edited to add image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure some of the Buddy Ebsen, Wayne Gretzky, etc. coins brought extra money just for the pedigree. Michael Jackson would be no different I'm sure, and likely more so due to his worldwide-star status. BTW, don't be surprised if some coins are part of his estate. Perhaps someone can help me on this, but I seem to recall him getting presented with some coins as a gift in the past...from some foreign dignitary... does that ring a bell with anyone?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were several lightly circulated Kennedy halves that were auctioned off as part of Jackie Kennedy's estate. I don't remember what they brought but it was more than face value which is what they would have brought if I owned them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Not from me.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    They might bring a premium to a crazed Jackson fan who does not collect coins but maybe not to a true coin collector.

Of course they would have to be authenticated and have the Jackson label to prove they were owned by him.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It's funny, the google ads for this page are all now geared toward Michael Jackson. Company's are making a lot of dough off of him.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    They'd probably all be dipped, like him.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt the scammier companies are busy right now making stickers to slap on silver eagles, etc. with MJ's picture on them, and the "tribute coins" will be coming in droves shortly thereafter. I'm eagerly awaiting the ads for the "silver/gold layered tribute coins" -from Liberia/Marshall Islands or some other such nonsense- as well.

Does anyone think they'll do young Michael/older Michael pieces...the former being in bronze and the latter being blast white?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I would buy them as they were any other coin, for the quality of the coin offered. More than likely I would expect a discount!image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't pay anything extra for it, but I'm sure there are people who would.

I've never paid anything extra for a pedigree. If I knew who the prior owner was, that’s great, and I’ve got a few coins and tokens that once belonged to famous collectors, but not famous show business people. But I buy the coin, not the former owner.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There were several lightly circulated Kennedy halves that were auctioned off as part of Jackie Kennedy's estate. I don't remember what they brought but it was more than face value which is what they would have brought if I owned them. >>

They brought an unbelievable price I think it was $7K for 10 to 12 of them.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    MJ coins could get a pedigree.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MJ coins could get a pedigree. >>

Maybe put a bunch of Lincoln "Early Childhood" coins in tribute holders.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>Well at least he wore gloves when he handled his coins, if he had any....

I think they would demand a premium, that is for sure >>

He didn't wear TWO gloves...for everything.....!!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    FoxerFoxer Posts: 164 ✭✭
    I bet he has a collection of chuck-e-cheese tokens. image
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I tired of hearing about that AH.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    Have you ever felt like a Cub Scout at the Neverland Ranch ?
  • Options

Well at least he reduces the fingerprints on his coins, in half with wearing one glove... LOL

<< <i>He didn't wear TWO gloves...for everything.....!!!! >>

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to me they wouldn't!!
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750

<< <i>No doubt the scammier companies are busy right now making stickers to slap on silver eagles, etc. with MJ's picture on them, and the "tribute coins" will be coming in droves shortly thereafter. I'm eagerly awaiting the ads for the "silver/gold layered tribute coins" -from Liberia/Marshall Islands or some other such nonsense- as well. >>

I saw some Kennedy's on Ebay with MJ stickers two days after his death, similar to the Obama coins.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If properly marketed they would bring huge premiums ... but not from me.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I have heard Michael Jackson had Gold Bars locked away in a safe in Dubai.. So, no coins.. But yes, if he had some..
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

PCGS would have to have them with a MJ label. Kind of like those 9/11 silver dollars.

People would pay, no question.

On a side note, they almost had that auction a couple months ago.

I guess his glove was going to be sold.

Michael stopped the auction, BUT, what if you had bought that glove, talk about a flipping opportunity....

• Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Disregarding all the possible coin related jokes this could generate, if such a collection did exist I would hope as much of it could be maintained whole for those that he wished to inherit his belongings.

Death and estates, both large and small, have a way of either bringing out the vultures or turning people into vultures.

Such scavangers could not care less about the prior wishes of the carrion.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Since Michael was mostly made of Plastic, they should sell his ashes to a legit mint and make plastic coins so the kids can play with him for a change.image

Rest in Peace Michael, may you and Billy Mays watch over someone here on earth and help them invent the Moon Walker for the disabled or older folks.. I would love to see grannie walking backwards with her walker with disco lites..image BTW: the price should be $199.99 with free batteries.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well at least he reduces the fingerprints on his coins, in half with wearing one glove... LOL >>

Except then you get sequin scratches.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On a side note, they almost had that auction a couple months ago.

I guess his glove was going to be sold.

Michael stopped the auction, BUT, what if you had bought that glove, talk about a flipping opportunity.... >>

At least he and his thugs didn't barge into a hotel room with guns drawn.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they would bring a premium because his stuff turned to gold and platinum.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I can speak only for myself, but no.

He was not known during his life as a collector of coins.

His death does not automatically change that.

I suppose some short sighted folks would spend a premium.

But since he is not a big name in numismatics, that premium would be fleeting in my opinion.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone think they'll do young Michael/older Michael pieces...the former being in bronze and the latter being blast white? >>

it could be a holgram!
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I never owned a MJ album and would not be interested in a MJ coin.

I wouldn't want Neverland Ranch either, because it is waaayyyy to far from the beach. image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Most of us here have heard the fabled stories about finding coins that toned up in Grandpa’s
    sock dresser drawer, how would these socks effect a bunch of coins tucked away in a dresser?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    The other 'ped', Walter Breen, did his coins command a premium when liquidated?
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The other 'ped', Walter Breen, did his coins command a premium when liquidated? >>

When he was young, his entire collection was stolen and he never again collected coins. After that, he only collected numismatic knowledge.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777

<< <i>

<< <i>The other 'ped', Walter Breen, did his coins command a premium when liquidated? >>

When he was young, his entire collection was stolen and he never again collected coins. After that, he only collected numismatic knowledge. >>

And, some other knowledge.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file