Home Sports Talk
Options

US Mens Soccer beats the world #1 Spain 2-0

Incredible game, incredible win.

This was as inprobable as us beating ussr in hockey in 1980

next up the winner of Brazil/South Africa - for the confederation championship

Their defense was amazing - not sure anyone but me watched it

WOW - Spain had not lost since 1999 - 35 matches unbeaten!
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi

Comments

• Options
    Incredible win....Agreed

Incredible game...Agreed

As inprobable as us beating ussr in hockey in 1980....Disagree

The US hockey team was well disciplined, well conditioned, and well coach.
    This US mens soccer team is probably one of the worst mens team I've seen in a while,
    so in that respect their win yesterday was incredible.
  • Options
    they played well yesterday

The goalie was on fire, the FBs were clearing and assisting on defense as a team. The midfielders need a lot of work but condition wise they were ok. They scored on very few attempts, which was really surprizing. I think we has something like 5 shots on goals and scored 2. Spain had 15 shots and scored nothing.

Defense wins, even in soccer.

Like they say, it's not about being the best team in the world - it's about being the best team in the stadium. Yesterday, they played like a team (on defenseanyway) and won
  • Options
    Agreed. They took a page out of Italy's planbook and just stacked the 18 and hoped for breakaways.
    This is how the Italians beat the Brazilians in the 80's, and the Germans in the 90's.

The USA has to use this same attack against Brazil if Brazil moves on. Spain tried unsuccessfully to pick apart the USA in the air.
    The Brazilians will try to feed the open channels inside the 18. USA will have to depend on their footspeed against the Brazilians
    more then just heading away crosses. Spain was foolish in trying to center the ball from the wings all day. You can't beat this
    USA defense by corner kicks and crosses.
  • Options
    Great point.

The Brazilians are great dribblers and passers so the US team will have to play as a team again as we dont have an outstanding MF. Yesterday they werent so good taking on dribblers and Spain just tried to feed the middle, Brazil wont do that

Growing up a Brazil fan (yeah im old) I hope for a Brazil v US match - WOW!
  • Options
    Are you from the Dunga, Socrates, Zico, or Pele era ?

And yes, the US midfield is very bad.
  • Options
    i started playing soccer in 1969 - so the Pele era
  • Options
    also I was a huge Garrincha (sp?) fan - he was a great striker
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    the first goal was awesome...funny...Spain lives and dies with the offsides and our forward man-handled the defender broke free/off and ripped it...

second goal was not as nice...but doesnt matter...how did that defender not know that Dempsey was right next to him...why the heck didnt Donovan rip it...

oh... well...I watched the whole thing...AWESOME!!!

Howard was a stud and the defense cleared everything!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Wow. I wanted to start a Confed Cup thread right before the event but I was afraid of it turning into a hate fest. It's nice to see that some of you are willing to watch something other than baseball or football.

I pretty much agree with most of you guys have said. Amazing turnaround coming off the disappointment of blowing the Italy game in the 2nd half, and being blown out by the Brazilians. It'll suck to not have Bradley for the final match though. I know we just beat Spain, but I think we need to be pulling for the South Africans hard today to upset the Brazilians, if we want any legitimate shot at winning this thing.
  • Options
    The Bradley red card was a joke...

Anything can happen since we just beat Spain...

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>The Bradley red card was a joke...

Anything can happen since we just beat Spain... >>

Did you watch the game vs. Brazil?? I know we were a man down for most of the match, but we didn't have a single real shot on goal until the dying minutes when Feilhaber hit one off the crossbar.
  • Options
    How many people thought the U.S. actually had a chance vs. Spain??

Different time...different game...anything can happen...

Dont count yourself out before the game is even played (it is what i tell my middle school soccer players)

- uncut

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I'm rooting for whoever she roots for!!!!!!

Maybe she could change my mind
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Not that anyone cares, but the nation of Brazil leads the world not only in soccer, but in plastic surgery too.

Anyway, I'm glad Brazil made it. I think the US has a better chance against them then a fired up home team.

Good luck USA.