Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My best crackout ever....what's yours??

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought this 1913-S Saint Gaudens Double Eagle a few years ago on eBay for $1200.

It was slabbed in an NTC holder...BIG mistake, right?(Edited to add: Was NTC MS61)

Well, a few weeks later I decided to crack it out and send it into PCGS for grading.

I'll never forget it, as I was very nervous about the whole ordeal.

I made a promise that I would never buy a non-PCGS/NGC slabbed coin on eBay again, especially gold!!!

Submission result: PCGS MS62 image

She's got a couple spots, but she's staying with me!!!

Comments

• Options
    WOW! That is a nice one... image
    Shoot, that would look good in G4... image
    Well I have never cracked a coin out of its slab, or even got a coin graded for that matter. I have bought all mine pre graded, and I am happy with every single purchase image and I am very glad to hear you were glad with this purchase and crackout of yours! Well done image

(Might I ask, what was NTC's grade of this coin)
  • Options
    If you know your series your risk in buying an inferior tpg is minimized. You seem to know yours! I like that truview!
  • Options

<< <i>WOW! That is a nice one... image
    Well I have never cracked a coin out of its slab, or even got a coin graded for that matter. I have bought all mine pre graded, and I am happy with every single purchase image and I am very glad to hear you were glad with this purchase and crackout of yours! Well done image

(Might I ask, what was NTC's grade of this coin) >>

That's the best part....thanks for reminding me.

It was an NTC MS61 image
  • Options
    Never cracked a coin. What was NTC's grade?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW! That is a nice one... image

(Might I ask, what was NTC's grade of this coin) >>

That's the best part....thanks for reminding me.

It was an NTC MS61 image >>

WOW! An upgrade from NTC... I'm surprised they were a little harsh on your coin..
    Most slabbed stuff that is not a reputable TPG, is all MS-WAY TO MUCH!!! image
    Although I've heard of NTC, I don't think they are good enough to buy from, if you really don't know your series all that well, and shoot you got an upgrade! Ya' know your series! image
    CONGRATS
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that I've only cracked a handful of coins and none for a long time, but several years ago I
    saw an Isabella quarter in a PCGS 64 slab. It looked to have been dipped, but it was pure satin and
    unmarked. I looked at it for quite a while trying to figure out why it was only a 64 and then bought it for
    about $900. Subsequently, I showed it to David Hall at a "Meet the Expert" and he commented "that
    has a great look". So, I cracked it and sent it to NGC and it came back 65, which is where I felt the
    coin belonged. I sold it for an easy double.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pick, Goldbully! and an upgrade from NTC- I had no idea they were so CONSERVATIVE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David Hall once said : "ownership adds a point"
    ...and it came to pass.

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    A 63RB Lincoln, had it graded without attribution. I cracked it and sent it in for attribution and it came back 65RB with the variety on the holder. I thought it deserved the 65RB anyway. image

Ed
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good work!

My best crackout was also a double eagle; in this case, a 1904 Liberty. Cracked it out of an old PCI green label MS62 holder, in which I had bought it for an absurdly nice price (near melt, at about EF money- $400 and something at the time). Sent it off to PCGS. Came back PCGS MS64. Cha-ching. Worth about $1,250 in that grade at the time. It was rather generic quality for a 64, but I still got nice money for it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    I submitted my first crack out today while fixing a leak under the counter..image

The wife was not impressed....image

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Oh, I thought you said crack-up. Never mind!image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's the best part....thanks for reminding me.

It was an NTC MS61 image >>

Looks like you bought the coin and not the (NTC) slab and you were rewarded for your eye. Bully to you...Goldbully!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    theumptheump Posts: 634 ✭✭
    Not a crack out story, but once about 5 years ago, I bot about $2k worth of coins at my local store, and as a sweetner if I bot this one last coin, he would sell me a raw1924 St. Gaudens at spot which was roughly $450 if memory serves me correctly. Anyhow, a couple of years ago sent it in to PCGS and it came back at 64.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    All of them, as the coins have been liberated from their coffins.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    I got an icg ms63rb 26-s Lincoln to go to pcgs ms64rb, $150 to $1500. I've submitted raw Lincoln Memorials that came back from pcgs ms65rd, I cracked them out, and then resubmitted them getting their deserving ms67rd for 4 of them. They went from about a $2 coin to $400 coins.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highest grade jump: 1938-D walker from old holder AU58 to MS64
    Highest percentage jump: 1929-S Lincoln from old holder MS65RD to MS66RD
    Highest dollar jump: 1827 Original quarter from old holder NGC PF64 to PR65
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had two old PCI coins that I long ago sent to ANACS in the same submission:
    1936 1c Brilliant Proof went from PR60 cleaned to PR63RB
    1938-D 50c went from MS61 "nicked rim" to MS63.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1824/1 CBH cracked from Ngc VF-25 to Pcgs XF-40
    Trade $'s
  • Options
  • Options
    That's a nice won, bully!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An 1838-0 PCGS MS63 dime.

I had originally bought that raw at auction figuring it was 64+. And NGC did grade it MS64. But I felt like it had a fair chance to go 65 so I sent it to PCGS and got the crushing grade of MS63. At the time I was a bit tight for cash and was looking to dump the coin for mid 63 to 64 but could find no takers (this was 1988 or so). So I was forced to crack it out and resubmit back to NGC just to hope to break even.......

ka ching......MS65. Pop 1 between both services.

Sold the coin over the phone sight-unseen to the first major dealer I called for $15,000 (2-1/2 times what I paid). This was probably my bellweather coin that demonstrated that even though the grading problem had been "solved," there were sometimes up to 2 MS points of difference on the same coin between services. Hence a 1 pt variability was well within the norm. OK, so maybe the grading problem wasn't fully solved yet.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Unattributed 1921 S VAM-1B2 bought on eBay.

Orignally in a NTC MS64 holder.

Cracked it out and now it's a PCGS MS63 attributed.

It isnt an upgrade but close enough that I was happy.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭
    Attributed 1921 S VAM 1B6 thornhead SEGS 61 for $85. Cracked, came back 63 from pcgs. The only two point SEGS upgrade ive ever heard of.
  • Options
    erroiderroid Posts: 795
    NTC 04O MS65(HL 40 V-4B); cracked out and crossed to PCGS MS65.

John G Bradley II
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two come to mind:

1919-D Buffalo nickel in PCGS 64, cracked out and held for about 6 years. Resubmit comes back PCGS 65 (date of occurance 1993-1999)
    1928-D SLQ PCGS 65, cracked out and held for about 6 years. Resubmit comes back PCGS 65FH (!) (date of occurance 1993-1999)

I do now regret selling either coin but the Buffalo more. image

jom
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>She's got a couple spots, but she's staying with me!!!

image >>

They say that diamonds are a girls best friend BUT............................

Nothing says I love you more than goldimage

Beautifulimage

I have to start collecting US goldimage
  • Options
    Mine was a 1908 S Indian 1c in an old ANACS 63RD holder. I was the high Ebay bidder at $800. Everyone thought that I was crazy at the time. First try at PCGS, viola; 65RD. I thought it was a shot 66. Rick Snow evidently liked it because he paid me $3000 for it (Greysheet ASK was $2500).
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options

Post your best crackout!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchased a graded Canadian coin for $1400 and resubmitted. The result was Two grades higher and approx a $10,000 coin.

My first time I viewed it, I knew that it was at least one, if not two grades better. It was an immediate realization.

Funny thing is, the previous collector had it for about 3 years, then sold to a dealer who had it for about 4 months and who knows how many other potential buyers viewed it at the dealers (before me) and everyone did not realize that this coin was such a shoe-in for an upgrade.

Don't these people look at their coins and know how to grade????

I'm beginning to think they don't and just blindly trust the grade given on the cert.

Price jumped from $1400 (purchase price) to one grade higher at $2800 to one grade higher $10,000 (finest known).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A '78-CC Eagle. First raw submission made it a PCGS-53. Cracked out, 2nd try - PCGS-55. 13K/26K. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    1901 Morgan, NCS AU Details, scratched.............. went PCGS MS61 first try.

The coin was blatantly PQ and deserved the 61.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PQ+ 1901 Morgan MS62 PCGS that I paid PQ money for at the time ($3,900).
    Cracked it out and sent to NGC; came back MS63. Sold it to a dealer at first show for $12,500.
    Went on Morgan shopping spree. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Broke out two Carver/Washington commems in MS-64, both in PCGS slabs and submitted them. Both came back MS-65. A savings of close to $700 since I didn't have to purchase the coins for my set. By the way, bought the set of C/W's off ebay in MS-64 for $84.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

Went from RB to BN but still did ok. image Sold it before the big run up though. image
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    The best I have is I had a Norfolk in an NGC MS66 slab. I cracked it and sent to PCGS. It came back MS65. There is no way it should have downgraded so I cracked it again and sent it back to PCGS. It then came back in a PCGS MS67 slab.

Those submissions were a real eye opener.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sent in 8 coins in holder for crossover. Nothing crossed. So I cracked them all out and resubmitted. 5 graded at same level and 3 upgraded. Lesson learned.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file