Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Show off your scanner!

I'll be in the market for a new scanner in about a month or so and I always see some great clear scans on this site.

Please post a scan to this thread to give me and anyone else in the market for a new scanner a preview.

When posting a scan just add this information near the scan

1) What kind of scanner your using (make,model#)
2) What setting you are using for the scan ( dpi, etc)

Here is the scanner I currently use now

Epson Stylus CX7400 (all in one)
DPI setting - 300

Mark
--------------------------------------------
NFL HOF RC SET

Comments

• Options
    dioworlddioworld Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Epson Perfection V30
    default dpi 300

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Canon 4400f.
    Under $90, best scanner I've ever had.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

Winner Winner!!
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Great scanners can also have a downside which is that every tiny flaw is blown up to unreal proportions so a real nice EXNM Maris (like this one) suddenly looks like crapola when the card in person looks pretty crispy.

But still better to give TMI than too little and I would rather go that route than sellers like Great Lakes Auction House which make big bucks on their smaller scans which nicely conceal small flaws...JMO
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    The Maris scan is awesome but I like Griffins scan better.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    HP Scanjet G3010....default setting of 300 DPI
    Cheap piece of garbage, but it does the job
    Whatever you decide to buy make sure it is a CCD scanner, so it will focus on the card, not the holder
  • Options
    I also endorse the Canon 4400f. Takes great scans and cheap to boot. I sized this one a little bigger than I normally do to show the details.

Keith
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Winner winner chicken dinner............
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that's disappointing. I came on here looking for some hawt ass scanner pics, and all I see are cards. Where's the Canon Cano Scan LidE 200 or the Fujikawa XRT3000? Blah.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Thanks for the scans, that Cannon 4400 does a great job for the price!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    it really is a great scanner. Prior to that I had a $1800 linotype scanner that wasn't as good, and in between shot copy shots with a 39 megapixel digital back. The Canon yields quality equal to the 39 megapixel back, but is much more convenient.
    I scanned 176 cards last nite in just over 90 minutes, each one flawless.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Refractors are shiny, but I wish scanners would show that more clearly. Having said that, I echo the nice things said about the 4400F. Cheap, easy to use, and produces very nice scans.

edit: Here's one of my two slabbed vintage. Behold the breathtaking beauty of this sweet Yaz!

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I use a canon too, not sure what model though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Here are a few from my Epson Perfection V300 Photo Scanner. Picked it up for less than $100 delivered. Very happy with it.

All at 300 DPI.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    computer screen resolution isn't more than 72 dpi, so 300dpi is lost bandwidth.
    If you're printing on an inkjet optimal resolution is a factor of the printer- so you'd want to be at 120dpi, 240dpi, or 360dpi.
    In my experience 240dpi is optimal for printer output, 72 for web.

• Options

<< <i>I'll be in the market for a new scanner in about a month or so and I always see some great clear scans on this site.

Please post a scan to this thread to give me and anyone else in the market for a new scanner a preview.

When posting a scan just add this information near the scan

1) What kind of scanner your using (make,model#)
    2) What setting you are using for the scan ( dpi, etc)

Here is the scanner I currently use now

Epson Stylus CX7400 (all in one)
    DPI setting - 300

image >>

I have the same exact scanner. It's been driving me nuts for the past few years. For some reason, every slabbed card comes out hazy and/or dull. Been looking for a new scanner myself. Thanks for starting this thread.

• Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Microtek Scanmaker 4800 - About 6 or 7 years old.

Here is a picture as scanned (300dpi)...

Here is the same picture using the "autocorrect" feature...

I will let you guys decide.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Whoa, for a minute there I thought Mintacular was back
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Hp Photosmart 3300

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    great thread, from my experience hp's do not last very long, Kodak (yeah, they got me with the cheap ink) has mega windows issues and also poorly build mechanically... so far I've been sent 4 replacements under a one year warranty, and that was replacing one that was out of warranty! That Maris is sweet, I think I might be looking into Epson and Canon (been very happy with my camera).
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>great thread, from my experience hp's do not last very long, Kodak (yeah, they got me with the cheap ink) has mega windows issues and also poorly build mechanically... so far I've been sent 4 replacements under a one year warranty, and that was replacing one that was out of warranty! That Maris is sweet, I think I might be looking into Epson and Canon (been very happy with my camera). >>

I've had my Hp for years and wouldn't get anything else - simple to use and no trouble. I also had one with my business that never had any problems.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Hey gang,
    I see a lot of people making a notation that they scan in 300 dpi. It might help to know that DPI is not applicable for computer displays. The short of the long is that dots/inch is relative only for printing.

If you would like to read more on this, visit http://scantips.com/no72dpi.html. It's a site with great information for both experts and novices.

Take care,
    Ted
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>great thread, from my experience hp's do not last very long, Kodak (yeah, they got me with the cheap ink) has mega windows issues and also poorly build mechanically... so far I've been sent 4 replacements under a one year warranty, and that was replacing one that was out of warranty! That Maris is sweet, I think I might be looking into Epson and Canon (been very happy with my camera). >>

I've had my Hp for years and wouldn't get anything else - simple to use and no trouble. I also had one with my business that never had any problems. >>

That's good, unfortunately mine lasted 3 weeks and a week over the year warranty on the other, both times it was the same thing, the scanner eye wouldn't engage anymore... at least both came free with computers.

EDIT: also it was fine for documents but fuzzy for cards.
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whoa, for a minute there I thought Mintacular was back >>

Me too.

I forgot which thread I read, but same thing - I thought Rube was back.
    Matt

• Options
    HP PSC 1610 All in One. Had it 6 years. Never scanned once because of some error. My wife fixed it today and soon I'll move from bad pics to scans. Pnce I learn the ins and outs.

I'm seriously excited.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    HP 4890, not sure of the resolution (whatever the highest one is):

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    I've only had luck with my Canon 4400. But I need new software because my PC won't install it.

I tried a bunch of other scanners.

This scan of Ironman is from the same small pocket camera as this vid from Green Day. I don't need anything better. image

Til I get my 4400 up and running again, ha ha.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I have the Epson V500 Scanner.

Here are the stats on this model.
    * Amazing 6400 x 9600 dpi resolution
    * Extraordinary 17" x 22" enlargements from film
    * Dust and scratch removal with Digital ICE®
    * Easy Photo Fix® restores faded color photos
    * New ReadyScan LED technology for fast scan speeds
    * Built-in TPU � scans slides, negatives and medium format film
    * Adobe® Photoshop® Elements included
    * True-to-life reproductions with 48-bit color
    * Optional ADF to scan multiple documents fast
    * Hi-Speed USB 2.0
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    My is 6 years old, don't remember the number, but its an Epson Perfection (possible the same one pictured above).

I scan at 150 DPI, then resize to 600 pixels tall for slabs or 500 pixels tall for raw cards, so they are easily viewable on most peoples monitors.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>I've only had luck with my Canon 4400. But I need new software because my PC won't install it.

I tried a bunch of other scanners.

This scan of Ironman is from the same small pocket camera as this vid from Green Day. I don't need anything better. image

Til I get my 4400 up and running again, ha ha. >>

I like the Iron-Man 1966 scanner !

MARVEL-ous
  • Options
    after you scan the card how do you get it to getter larger
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>after you scan the card how do you get it to getter larger >>

huh?
    You scan it with a larger DPI. Getting it larger after you scan doesn't add detail or clarity.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Epson 3490

Usually I will scan in the default DPI 300. Then I crop the photo around the card and size it to 600 px top to bottom and about 100 kb...at least with graded cards.

A few scans of cards (and a coin) with different surfaces.

imageimage
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Epson 3590, about three years old. Only problem is I can't get the original Epson software to work right, So I have to use the generic windows scanner software. Other than that does great !

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

ooooooh yeah baby!! Daddy needs his medicine....
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    As mentioned before, you MUST get a scanner that uses a Charge-Coupled Device (CCD) as it's scan element. Anything else will = blurry slabs.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options