Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How do you think this Koufax Rookie from Great Lakes Auction House will grade

I haven't bought an ungraded vintage card in AGES, but thought I wouild try my luck.
I figure if 6.5 or better I do good
6 par
5 or less not so good

I also figure since they guarantee money back refund within 7 days, I cant do too bad, as I can always return if not happy once i get a good scan.

koufax rookie

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We guarantee this card is AUTHENTIC and UNTRIMMED or your money back"

What they don't guarantee is that it was most likely in a PSA 4 holder (before they cracked it out to sell raw) because of a hidden flaw.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What they don't guarantee is that it was most likely in a PSA 4 holder (before they cracked it out to sell raw) because of a hidden flaw. >>

I'm thinking the same thing...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>"We guarantee this card is AUTHENTIC and UNTRIMMED or your money back"

What they don't guarantee is that it was most likely in a PSA 4 holder (before they cracked it out to sell raw) because of a hidden flaw. >>

I considered that possibility, but the fact that they had like 50+ ungraded cards, many which are low value cards, kind of leads me to believe that they got a collection in from someone. What kind of "hidden flaws" should I look for once I recieve it, since I can return it for full refund.. I will definetely make HUGE scans and check for surface flaws. The seller "said" that there weren't any noticable surface flaws, and the only thing he see on it is a "dimple" in the white border below the B in brooklyn.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Looks like at least a nice 6; maybe a 7 with a little luck.

Just be sure to get the ol' magnifying glass out before sending it off for grading.

Nick (Nam812) makes a good a point .... get ready to use that 7-day return policy if needed!

Congrats if all goes well!

PoppaJ

• Options

<< <i>I considered that possibility, but the fact that they had like 50+ ungraded cards, many which are low value cards, kind of leads me to believe that they got a collection in from someone........... >>

Hold on to that belief while you do a quick thread search of that's seller's name here at CU. You'll find threads like this one
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like at least a nice 6; maybe a 7 with a little luck.

Just be sure to get the ol' magnifying glass out before sending it off for grading.

Nick (Nam812) makes a good a point .... just be sure to use that 7-day return policy if needed!

Congrats if all goes well!

PoppaJ

image >>

Seller also has like 5000FB and 100% positive.
    I will definetely use the 7 day return policy, and if I see anything possibly give him the option to refund my a portion, if I think it will grade low, instead of sending it back to him for a full refund. I already contemplated that option before bidding. The only thing I could think of that could bite me, is if there really is some type of flaw that is not noticable, but I am not aware of any such defect that could not be seen between a large scan and a angled surface check under good lighting and magnification.
  • Options
    Change your thread title to:

How do you think this Koufax Rookie from Great Lakes Auction House will grade?

And I think you will get lots more people weighing in on your purchase.
  • Options

<< <i> You'll find threads like this one >>

In the thread you provided, there was lots of speculation, but ONLY one comment that was fact...

"That is a bit high for raw. I will say that I bought a '73 Clemente from him listed as "mint" and it did indeed grade out at a PSA 9. "

• Options

<< <i>Change your thread title to:

How do you think this Koufax Rookie from Great Lakes Auction House will grade?

And I think you will get lots more people weighing in on your purchase. >>

Done. I am a little leary, and why I came here to hear from the crowds.
    I still think the worst that can happen is that I get the card and find a flaw and ask him to either refund me partially, or ship back for full refund.
    It is a nice looking card, provided I dont see any flaws...even not a TERRIBLE price for "VERY NICE 6", and I find if it is not altered, that it would be difficult to be less than a solid 6.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Nam812 how long did it take you to build that T218 Champions set?

I'm looking at your link for the first time and that is quite the rare pop set.

Very nice.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    relaxedrelaxed Posts: 569
    It does seem like a nice card from the scan. But who knows until you get the card. According to the VCP average prices on a Koufax for a PSA 6 is around $493, for a PSA 6.5 its $660, and a PSA 7 average is $908. I have a couple graded Koufax's myself and centering is tough on this card and yours seems nicely centered, good luck.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options

<< <i>Nam812 how long did it take you to build that T218 Champions set?

I'm looking at your link for the first time and that is quite the rare pop set.

Very nice. >>

It took me just under 9 months, and thanks for the compliment.
  • Options

<< <i>It does seem like a nice card from the scan. But who knows until you get the card. According to the VCP average prices on a Koufax for a PSA 6 is around $493, for a PSA 6.5 its $660, and a PSA 7 average is $908. I have a couple graded Koufax's myself and centering is tough on this card and yours seems nicely centered, good luck. >>

Yes, centering very tough, plus no print marks, also tough. A very nice looking card...i would be content with a 6..although much happier with 7 or 7.5.
    I would think if it wouldn't at least get a 6, that the flaws would be noticable.
  • Options

<< <i>.........I would think if it wouldn't at least get a 6, that the flaws would be noticable. >>

Not everything is always as it seems.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>.........I would think if it wouldn't at least get a 6, that the flaws would be noticable. >>

Not everything is always as it seems.

image >>

Back?
    how about in hand? Is that yours or just a scan from ebay?
    I would bet in hand the defects of that card would be obvious. I haven't ever seen a card in hand that looked a lot better than the grade, except twice, and both times I resubmitted and got a higher grade.

I do hear what you are saying though, and I respect your knowledge. Is there anything that I should look for when I recieve the card besides the obvious that could really hurt a card's grade?
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...I haven't ever seen a card in hand that looked a lot better than the grade, except twice, and both times I resubmitted and got a higher grade. .."

//////////////////////////////////////

I need to hire you to pre-grade any cards I want to submit.

Half of my 10s live in 5 slabs.

Invisible micro-wrinkles can "really hurt a card's grade."

Mr greatlakes sold some VERY nice looking cards in the past week.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>"...I haven't ever seen a card in hand that looked a lot better than the grade, except twice, and both times I resubmitted and got a higher grade. .."

//////////////////////////////////////

I need to hire you to pre-grade any cards I want to submit.

Half of my 10s live in 5 slabs.

Invisible micro-wrinkles can "really hurt a card's grade."

Mr greatlakes sold some VERY nice looking cards in the past week. >>

Actually I thought of one exception.
    I still think this should grade a psa 6, but psa would not

I changed this from a bvg 7 to a psa 8

and i changed this from a psa 2 to a bvg 3

Those were my only 3 attempts
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If it would have graded hi, they would have graded it.

It was probably once in a slab, but looked better raw.

Dealers like this do not like to leave money on the table.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 5.

chaz
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Be very careful I too was just a victim of a bum deal buying a 1953 Bowman Mantle Graded strong excellent no creases beautiful centring just soft corners looked great too.What I got was a Mantle with 3 heavy creases and worn corners.Seller is now suspended and I should be
    refunded full price through Pay Pal soon.NO more raw high price vintage for me!!!

Tony
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>Be very careful I too was just a victim of a bum deal buying a 1953 Bowman Mantle Graded strong excellent no creases beautiful centring just soft corners looked great too.What I got was a Mantle with 3 heavy creases and worn corners.Seller is now suspended and I should be
    refunded full price through Pay Pal soon.NO more raw high price vintage for me!!!

Tony >>

Different seller thought, right?
    Once you got the card, you could see the heavy creases, right?
    Did he offer full refund if not satisifed within 7 days?

I think that is the difference.
    I was burned back in year one of card collecting, and swore I would only buy slabbed ever since...this is my first break from that thought processing, and I may return to it (grin).
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I've bought 2 cards from Great Lakes (though none in the last 3 years). One was a '57 Ted Williams that came back a 7, the other was a card I don't remember but it was short and I sent it back for a refund, which they issued without a problem.

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA 5.

chaz >>

This is true. Be careful, I have brought from them before and had to send back, then they blocked me. Crappy far away scans done so you can't really inspect the card. chaz
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

What they don't guarantee is that it was most likely in a PSA 4 holder (before they cracked it out to sell raw) because of a hidden flaw. >>

Excellent points Nam. chaz
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it would have graded hi, they would have graded it.

It was probably once in a slab, but looked better raw.

Dealers like this do not like to leave money on the table.

Steve >>

Bingo
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Excellent points Nam. chaz >>

Seller is notorious for this
  • Options
    This seller's butt sucks buttermilk.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    Any update for this thread yet?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OUTSTANDING and has NEAR-PERFECT centering. >>

Don't know the seller and could be really good.

But, the centering right to left rules out near-perfect IMO.

If it's that good? Why not grade it out?

mike

Mike
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    I was burned by them once and will never buy again from them. Caution to the buyer.

We found once the suspected buying ID for these guys. It should be in another thread.

Definitely a buy graded and crack out scheme with sharp pics but not close enough to see some flaws. Great description that will mention everything except the flaw that keeps it from getting the 7, 8, or 9 that you may think it deserves from the pics.

• Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    They used to buy under the eBay id crab-chucks but apparently not anymore. A year or two ago you could check the completed auctions won by crab-chucks which were a lot of graded cards. Then, they miraculously appeared for sale as raw cards under seller great_lakes_auction_house. A lot of them were PSA 5s and 6s. When sold they never directly stated NM or NM/MT but for sure implied that.
  • Options
    Any new info regarding this card?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    There must be an update to this thread by now. How did the raw Koufax rookie work out?
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Once you got the card, you could see the heavy creases, right?

>>

I'm sure they weren't of the invisible variety! ;-)
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    In a situation like this, on a high $ raw card and if there are no noticeable defects in the card when you recieve it. I would spend the $35 and immediately send it to PSA for the 5 day grading Just to be sure that it has not been altered or doctored in any way. I am sure if you wait to long they will not return the card. I hate to say this but there is probably a reason this card is not in a holder.
  • Options
    The silence is very telling.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    And the silence continues.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    "They used to buy under the eBay id crab-chucks but apparently not anymore. A year or two ago you could check the completed auctions won by crab-chucks which were a lot of graded cards. Then, they miraculously appeared for sale as raw cards under seller great_lakes_auction_house. A lot of them were PSA 5s and 6s. When sold they never directly stated NM or NM/MT but for sure implied that."

Sounds similar to what Polo Grounds does, except they buy PSA 7's, crack them, and sell them raw at shows at 7.5 to 8 prices. In their defense some of the 7's they buy may belong in 8 holders.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    I've bought from Polo Grounds quite a bit. I only bought cards they listed as MINT. I graded the bigger ones and most got 8's with a few 7's thrown in. Dealers definitely crack and sell as higher graded, but I knew they were going to atleast grade 7/8ish. Ones I didn't like they quickly refunded, so I guess their return policy was good.
  • Options
    i too was hoping for an update....
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Great Lakes has a GREAT business model! Cracking out PSA 5's & 6's and touting them as high grade cards. No scanner. I wish I had the cahoonies to do that! knowing my luck, I will crack them out, and selling them raw would bring PSA 3-4 prices (as they should, since the bidder is assuming all the risk)....
  • Options
    I take it that it did not work out that well.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I take it that it did not work out that well. >>

Hofautos started this thread back on June 16, 2009. It's only been a month and ten (10) days. We should give him more time as I suspect it will take, what, perhaps two, three, four or even five crack and resubmits before he gets that PSA 6 or PSA 6.5 ... if ever.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    anxiously waiting for an update.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    75-1 odds that you have been had, the person you are dealing with is a serious pro.image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>This seller's butt sucks buttermilk. >>

• Options
    If this card graded a 7 or better we all would have heard about that.

The see I told ya so's would have been posted a few times.

No reason for the OP to feel bad. IMO it was a decent gamble.

But please a little followup would have been nice, if only to help the next

unsuspecting bidder.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    No follow up needed...everyone here knows what Great Lakes business model is......Crack out PSA 5's and 6's to get raw 7-8 prices....
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well as we all know looks can be deceiving. I assure you that none of the cards below have any paper loss or creases. Well, no crease that could be detected by the submitter. The 59's I bought slabbed and the 66 I pulled from a pack in 66. I gave it the once over and submitted it with some other 66's that I cherry picked from my childhood set. My grades ranged from 7-9 with one 6 and this beautiful 3. I subbed the other checklist figuring it would pull a 6 at best and it came back a 7. The scan makes the corners of the 59's look soft, but in person they are sharp as 9's. Go figure. BTW, where is the original poster and what happened to his card?
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Surely the OP must have results to share by now.