Home Sports Talk

Tim Lincecum -- MLB's Best Pitcher

I think Lincecum is THE top pitcher in the game today. Here are a few of my reasons:

* 381 hits allowed in 461 innings
* 518 K's (and 175 walks) in those 461 innings
* Career 31 Wins and 11 Losses (for a team that's well under .500 during that time)
* Career ERA of 3.06 -- and one Cy Young Award
* He'll turn 25 later this month

Thoughts?

Comments

• Roy Halladay
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Johan Santana and Zach Greinke are up there too, Jon Lester gets some kudos as well.
    Love to have those 4 -5 in a Mets rotation.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Tim Lincecum is certainly one of the elite pitchers in the game, but I never try and say if someone is the best.

Either way, I think his stats are awesome considering who he plays for.

Brian
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Johan Santana and Zach Greinke are up there too, Jon Lester gets some kudos as well.
    Love to have those 4 -5 in a Mets rotation. >>

Jon Lester? Granted, he has a live arm, but he has not demonstrated anything near the consistency as Halladay or Santana.

Greinke is still waiting on a verdict as he's really only started to harvest his potential since the midpoint of last season.

Based upon track record of more than one season, I'd have to lean to these guys being the ten best in baseball at this point:

Roy Halladay
    Johan Santana
    Tim Lincecum
    C.C. Sabathia
    Brandon Webb
    Jake Peavy
    Roy Oswalt
    Dan Haren
    Justin Verlander
    Tie: Chris Carpenter and Josh Beckett - When healthy

Up and Comers:
    Zack Greinke
    Yovani Gallardo
    Cole Hamels
    Josh Johnson
    Félix Hernández
    Rick Porcello (a little early, but trust me on this one)
    Edwin Jackson (after 5 years on everyone's can't miss list)
    Zach Duke
    Eric Bedard
    Johnny Cueto

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Scott

I said Jon Lester gets some kudos as well. Not that he was the best pitcher.

I based that on his 700+ winning pct over 4 years.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Halladay in the AL and Santana in the NL for me.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Halladay in the AL and Santana in the NL for me. >>

Agreed.

Grienke has become more "human" lately (giving up 2 runs instead of 1 or zero), but still very good. Unfortunately, he has to go 9 innings to ensure a win, and he can't do that every game.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ofcourse this thread appears AFTER he throws a complete game shutout image I expect nothing less from the biggest troll on the boards!

Halladay in the AL & Santana in the NL

Chad Billingsly is not in the same category as Linsecum, Greinke ect.. just yet but is working his way there IMO.
  • I'm really surprised that Zack Greinke is even in the discussion:

* Career 42 Wins and 47 Losses
    * Career .268 Batting Ave Against

• Greinke was a highly touted prospect, often compared to Greg Maddux but with a better fastball. He is JUST not getting his sh!t together and his head straight and could be the THE best pitcher for the next 10 years, unfortunately he plays for the Royals who are poor and just plain suck. Halladay and Santana are the top of the charts for their year over year consistency.

In 5 years Lincecum may be the games best, but let him get a couple of more seasons under his belt, again he plays for a crappy team, would love to see him play for a real contender.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    As a S.F. Giants' fan, I will absolutely say that Lincecum is a great pitcher. But if I had to win one game, right now, I would not take Lincecum. I would take Roy Halladay or Johan Santana ... depending on who the opponent was.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Here's a freakishly-interesting footnote:

If the playoffs started today, Lincecum's team would be in it -- despite the Giants having scored the fewest runs in the entire National League.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Santana just got lit up like the Vegas strip at night by the Yankees -- 3.0 innings, 9 ER...
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Lincecum's awesome, but he's not the only pitcher who's shining in SF. Matt Cain's having a breakout season (9-1, 2.39 era) and making a serious All Star Team case this year.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lincecum's awesome, but he's not the only pitcher who's shining in SF. Matt Cain's having a breakout season (9-1, 2.39 era) and making a serious All Star Team case this year. >>

I agree and I wanted to add the Giants have seemed to kick it up lately as they have been putting together some wins. Maybe the Giants will keep on getting stronger and then the NL West will at least have a couple of strong teams.

Brian
  • "Lincecum's awesome, but he's not the only pitcher who's shining in SF. Matt Cain's having a breakout season (9-1, 2.39 era) and making a serious All Star Team case this year."

I hear ya -- but Matt Cain has a career record of 39 W's and 44 L's -- and I personally don't believe in "talking up" a pitcher with a career losing record. But you could be right -- maybe Cain will continue to shine for many years to come.

<< <i>I hear ya -- but Matt Cain has a career record of 39 W's and 44 L's -- and I personally don't believe in "talking up" a pitcher with a career losing record. But you could be right -- maybe Cain will continue to shine for many years to come. >>

He's still young. He's a few months younger than Tim Lincecum. Cain was drafted out of high school, and has been in the Giants starting rotation since he was 20 years old in 2005. He's been growing and developing, and the Giants organization and fans have never been disapointed by his progress.

It's nice to have 2 ace quality pitchers on our staff this year. image

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Félix Hernández, hands down.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ofcourse this thread appears AFTER he throws a complete game shutout image I expect nothing less from the biggest troll on the boards!

Halladay in the AL & Santana in the NL

Chad Billingsly is not in the same category as Linsecum, Greinke ect.. just yet but is working his way there IMO. >>

Quoting myself- I thought of this thread after he threw another complete game shutout.

Im getting sold... AL- Halladay NL - TIE!! Santana & Lincecum image

<< <i>Félix Hernández, hands down. >>

Felix is really good, but he's not "hands down" good.

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Is he even the best pitcher on this team?
  • after a slow start Linceum has really turned it up a notch. superb effort that really helps my fantasy team image Definitely has the talent to dominate the league.
  • mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭
    And stoner!!!!

Whacky Tobacky
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989

• << <i>I think Lincecum is THE top pitcher in the game today. Here are a few of my reasons:

* 381 hits allowed in 461 innings
    * 518 K's (and 175 walks) in those 461 innings
    * Career 31 Wins and 11 Losses (for a team that's well under .500 during that time)
    * Career ERA of 3.06 -- and one Cy Young Award
    * He'll turn 25 later this month

Thoughts? >>

Gee, take Juan Guzman's first 3 seasons and HE is the greatest pitcher in MLB. Look how that one turned out.

<< <i>Gee, take Juan Guzman's first 3 seasons and HE is the greatest pitcher in MLB. Look how that one turned out. >>

Notice that the OP said "in the game today," not "of all time."

We all know how the Guzman story turned out. The Lincecum story is still unfolding.