Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thanks to all for the help

I have removed the posting. It is now in the BS & T forum.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Very nice collection! I especially like the Lottery Medal. -Dan
  • Options
    It's for sell!!! It'll make you happy everytime you look at it....just like it did me!!
  • Options
    I thought this was a post about your collection. I really hope that you are legitimate and not trying to con people. If this response seems harsh, I am sorry. But, I do have a problem with someone coming over here to sell really nice coins right off the bat before having a little history with these forums. If you are legitimate, then I am sorry for assuming the worst. I would be interested in a few of the coins, but how do I know that I will receive the coins after payment has been remitted? Maybe, you should offer a third party escrow account until the goods are received. If that were the case, I would probably consider. JMHO. Good luck. -Dan
  • Options
    BTW, I notice that you are from Mississippi. I am originally from Corinth. I actually miss the small town life. -Dan
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    To follow up on what Dan said:

1. We have a weekly BST thread here on the darkside where people post their wares.

2. Occasional dedicated posts of merchandise for sale from established posters are ok, but we usually put "SSP" (Shameless Self Promotion) in the title to warn of those who aren't interested in reading. Someone coming in out of the blue and hawking their wares reeks of driveby spam. Not appreciated.

3. You say nothing about payment methods, logistics, etc. Without having established any bona fides, you will most likely have to accept payment methods that offer the buyer recourse, i.e., Visa/MasterCard/PayPal. Or, as Dan recommends, escrow.

<< <i>I have 11 extremely nice world coins that I must sell, though it breaks my heart to do it. The economy has taken its toll on my finances and I need to raise some cash. The collection includes British and Italian coins and 1 German coin of which only 12-15 examples are known to exist. I had actually hoped to sell the entire set for $3000, but that doesn't seem to be the way inquiries are going, so I'm posting the prices for individual coins. >>

Uh huh... last night your post read $2600. Prices going up already?...
  • Options
    As I have said, I was referred to this forum by a regular user. I don't pretend to know all the etiquette and stuff, but certainly did not intend to insult anyone or degrade the integrity of this forum. I can provide references from the best of the best when and if needed, and had asked my friend how payment should be handled should any of the coins sell; he had said PayPal was the preferred method, so I just assumed (I know that's a bad thing) that that was the order of the day as far as payment goes. I don't imagine I will become a regular poster here...I just don't have the time for it. So, if this forum is some kind of club or clique, I guess I don't belong here and I will be glad to remove my post and pursue other methods of selling my coins. My intentions were and still are 100% honorable. As for my posting one night that I had hoped to sell the entire collection for $2600 and the next night changing that to $3000: I got to checking my numbers and had made a simple error in math.....DOES THIS MAKE ME A CON ARTIST? No one on this forum loves coins more than I do, and having to even think about selling these coins literally makes me sick. Having to defend my honor on this forum makes me even sicker. If you folks are not interested in the coins I can accept that. But I cannot accept being accused of running some kind of scam. So, I'll watch the next couple of posts, and if anybody wants me gone, I'll go.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Nobody wants you Gone! You are welcome here, we just don't know you from Adam. Most of what I read is informative, this belongs in our BST post, no offense there. Honest questions were answered.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    *sigh*

Every forum has their etiquette and decorum. Most newbies know to spend time reading and "getting the lay of the land" before charging in like a bull in a china shop. This very thread is an EXACT repost of a thread you made a few days ago selling your coins outside of the weekly BST thread.

At that point it looks completely like spam.

Good luck with your sale.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Look, you don't have to be so defensive. The questions that some members asked are totally legit, we've seen our fair share of spammers over the years, but I personally don't believe that you are one. I'm an eternal optimist and I believe in the best in people. And your coins are awesome, just outside of my collecting area.

As far as the BST thread is concerned, you did a nice job in copying my post, and there's not the slightest irony in this. Don't be discouraged if they don't sell straight away, because they are top quality coins with prices ranging from reasonable to high end and times are difficult. In fact most of the items on offer on the BST thread generally remain unsold. Personally, I post something I have for sale for one or two weeks max, after which I throw it to the ebay wolves. I don't know if that suits you, but the quality of your coins might bring very strong prices if sold on ebay by a reputable seller, maybe even higher than your initial asking prices.

If you don't want to sell them on ebay yourself, you can always consider the option of consigning them to other members who sell coins on ebay with consistent success, due to their reputation, excellent photos and following.

And you're always welcome to drop a line, despite your time limitations.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a suggestion on selling the collection, might be better to break it down into individual lots, there are pieces that stand alone for pricing and are desirous without wanting the others - ie the Italian 10 centesimi from 1911 which would compliment my collection of early 20th century Italians very well.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    If you'll look at the Darkside thread (I'm still learning this lingo), you'll see each coin individually priced, including the 1911 10 Centesimi, which is, if I must say so myself, the finest example of that coin I have personally seen. I don't think it's top pop, but after several years of looking, I haven't seen one that nice and it's one of my personal favorites. Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    Hatred of Ebay is/was my main motivation for finding alternative methods such as this to begin with. Even though I maintain a 100% positive feedback, I JUST HATE EBAY!! I love my coins too much to give them away and then pay somebody grossly high fees for doing it. I have all these coins accepted by Bowers and Merena for their November World Coin Auction, but I really can't wait that long. But I will wait, before I will put them on EBay.