Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Paper Loss = 4?

How can a card with this much paper loss be considered a 4? I thought this type of loss would make it a PSA 1.
PSA 4 Cracker Jack

Comments

• How does that card not get a ST qualifier?
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    wow, that is ugly for a 4
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yikes it is ugly.

Bill it has been my experience that PSA will only use the ST qualifier for wax and gum stains.

CJ's and even some early Bowmans get a free ride.

A water stain will not get a card a ST qualifier it will though net grade the card down.

I'm hoping that the bottom corner on that card is a stain and not missing paper?

I know that is far fetched, I did say I hoped.

Steve

Good for you.
    Also, the seller claims a 4 should fetch 350.00+ yet he is selling it for 92.00
    So i assume even he knows it is overgraded and it should be a 1 or a 2 which would
    be more in line with his price.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Steve, you may be right about it being a stain. If you look closely at the larger image, you can still see the corner of the red section inside the area that appears to have the paper loss. If it was paper loss, I would assume the red would not be showing.
  • Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Stained. If you find a clean '14, then it is likely altered...

1915s, many were obtained through mail-aways.

That's a good price
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is definitely a stain on the corner, but I still would not think it would grade better than a 2 or maybe a 3.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

This enlargement probably doesn't help much, but for what it's worth....

I agree that it appears to be a stain rather than paper loss.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Cards like these piss me off. I have a 49 Leaf DiMaggio graded a 4 that is ten times better than that one. Also had a Robinson 49 Leaf graded the same...both I thought had an outside shot at a 5-5.5.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Reasonably priced for a 3, probably about $75 if it went to auction. Should it even be a three, though? Corners are a lot better than the t206 4s I've seen
    Tom
    All that matters really is what it sells for, one can call it whatever one wants.

I know that doesn't help those on the registry but at the same time it is what it is.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Come to think of it I remember seeing this card for sale about 3 months ago and a
    thread was started regarding it over at net 54 and I thought it was a stain then.

Of course everyone there felt it wasn't.

Not sure if I emailed the seller at that time or not.

A simple email to the seller would clear it all up.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    I sent a question earlier but have yet to here back from the seller. I will post a response if/when I get one.