Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jackie Robinson Proof sets: To grade or not to grade?

PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
Hey guys, I'm a novice to coin collecting, but I've been a PSA card collector for years. Anyway, I bought a couple of 1997 Jackie Robinson silver and gold proof sets (five dollar gold coin and silver dollar). I'm wondering if it's worth it to send the coins in for grading, or just sell the set as is. Is there much upside to having these graded, and what should I look for on the coins to determine if they're grade-worthy. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    IIRC, the gold coins are a low mintage coin and slabbing them would be a great thing.

• Options
    They are a great set and slabbing them would be good and if it makes you happy to have them graded then go for it.

But, will slabbing them increase their value, are you doubting the authenticity, is it necessary? It will protect them but then again so would airtites.

For me... I'd buy some high quality airtites and take the money I would have spent on slabbing and buy a nice card, coin or other collectible.

Honestly though, what ever you choose, the Robinson set is awesome and congrats on a GREAT addition to your collection! image
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't get either coin to grade 70, you will probably end up losing money by getting
    them graded. Check the coins for spots, marks, and haze. If you see anything distracting,
    forgo the grading if the plan is just to sell.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you don't get either coin to grade 70, you will probably end up losing money by getting
    them graded. Check the coins for spots, marks, and haze. If you see anything distracting,
    forgo the grading if the plan is just to sell. >>

If you bought them directly from the Mint during the initial issue period, there is no way you will end up losing money. Also consider that there are a number of collectors who want these in OGP and NOT slabbed. Slabbing everything is what works on these boards, but it doesn't always mean "premiums" over OGP!

Cheers!

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you don't get either coin to grade 70, you will probably end up losing money by getting
    forgo the grading if the plan is just to sell. >>

If you bought them directly from the Mint during the initial issue period, there is no way you will end up losing money. Also consider that there are a number of collectors who want these in OGP and NOT slabbed. Slabbing everything is what works on these boards, but it doesn't always mean "premiums" over OGP!

Cheers!

image >>

I meant losing money over selling the set raw, not versus his cost basis...
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...
    I meant losing money over selling the set raw, not versus his cost basis... >>

Gotcha! image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some coins will trade for strong money regardless of the grade, especially in OGP. Jackie Robinson gold is one of them.

If you know what you want, ask on the BST and avoid trying to " upgrade" with plastic. This could dip into your actual profit if that is the idea. My humble opinion. It would be different if these were uncirculated coins and not proofs. That's my thought on them.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I butt in and ask if it would be worth it to submit the Jackie Robinson gold uncirculated commem?
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can I butt in and ask if it would be worth it to submit the Jackie Robinson gold uncirculated commem? >>

Yes, it would.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    As time goes on I think just the packing will bring a premium, remember the 1937 proof set in the OGP? Enough said it might take another couple of decades but OGP material is hard to find anymore really a 70 would bring more but anything less like a 69 is about the same price and less in the future IMO.
  • Options
    Keep them packaged. PCGS may not be around in twenty years. Who knows what the future brings. Computer grading? If they are in the original packaging you cant go wrong.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep them as they are unless you have a specific reason for the slab.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    also, the MS Robinson Gold is the biggee, with the Proof only being priced about double what a typical Gold Proof Modern commem is listed at.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like the best thing to do is keep it in the original government holders.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Some coins will trade for strong money regardless of the grade, especially in OGP. Jackie Robinson gold is one of them.

If you know what you want, ask on the BST and avoid trying to " upgrade" with plastic. This could dip into your actual profit if that is the idea. My humble opinion. It would be different if these were uncirculated coins and not proofs. That's my thought on them. >>

No offence but this is poor advice, send them in the orignal capsules, ask for the capsules back and put a min grade on the coins. If they do not grade high, put them back in the capsules.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file