Home Metal Detecting
Options

My first run in with the law

So Im in downtown at a park and I'm swining it trying to stay out of the geese poop and I hear an excuse me from behind the bushes. Sure enough Mr Policeman
is there, he nicely says that he called the city about what I was doing and they said I needed a permit here in Jacksonville. I said alright and packed up shop. I
guess it is going to be impossible for me to detect some of the old historic areas around downtown. I did find an old pendant, gold in color but Im not sure if it
is real. Im really itching for some historic and older finds. I hit a tot lot on the way home and dug 10 pennies and a bunch of dimes and two nickels. Anyone have
any law enforcment run ins?

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did... the cop was fairly interested in any finds I had ever made, but was more interested as to why I was in a closed park at 1:15am. Me, I'm a night hawk when it comes to detecting. I don't like dealing with people. The cop was cool enough-- I'd get a permit if I were you!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Every time I've ever been approached by the police while detecting, it was to answer questions about the hobby and how they should go about purchasing a detector.

I did however get pulled over for speeding for the first time in my life last weekend...

...for going 2 mph over the speed limit of all things...

I got a warning that said "travelling over the posted speed limit," but the rate was left blank as I guess the state patrolman knew it was laughable that he had pulled me over.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I would get a permit but I don't think this park was worth it, I had been going like 30 minutes before my first (and only) find. I did drive around a bit. There
    are some amazing houses here, of course its all in a bad part of town now, plenty of open lots I would love to dig. I have been studying the old sandborn maps
    and have become more and more sad by what time has destroyed, you can't stop progress huh?

Funny about the 1:15 am story, I have been out in my yard with a flashlight twice since I have got the detector, if I can't at least swing for a hour or so
    during the day I do get the fever to go out at night.

Still fun finding out about the history here, maybe one day I will find something old.

Kevin
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904

<< <i> Anyone have
    any law enforcment run ins?

Kevin >>

I've had many of those but nothing to do with MDing image
    Its all relative
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 'run ins' have been positive so far....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    i guess your not in guam anymore.

our city requires a permit for our parks and schools. i got asked on wednesday. apparently someone else got asked nearby, who did'nt have a permit. the place i detect is considered a park, but had homes on it before.

i've had police ask me to leave at various places. some police ask me to stay. some tell me of other places to try. some wanted to arrest me. some wanted to thank me. strange world indeed.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    How much does a permit cost? Does it last for a certain amount of time or is it a one time shot?

Kevin
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run ins?
    Not detecting on public lands, but chased
    several times on public lands and roads.
    back in the day riding street and dirt cycles
    One time, years ago riding my dirt bike on the street being chased
    was like the dukes of hazzard thing with two cop cars lites flashing sliding
    sideways in the gravel ( last time I looked back) as I pulled off the main
    paved road onto a dirt road. 450cc dirt bike Gone!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Some city parks require permits. These are written permits issued by the Parks Dept. I've been asked (only once) by City Police if I had a permit. He wanted to see the authorization letter. Fortunately, I had it. I was made aware of the needed permit by fellow MD'er who had recently been ejected from the park. You just never know when authorization is needed. When in doubt ask or simply chance it.