Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

***Yet a (third) ebay vintage pack counterfeiter exposed--here's the proof!***

Over the last three months on ebay there has been a bidding war of sorts between three ebayers all pursuing raw vintage sportscard wax wrappers. Recently I have exposed two of these ebayers (import-export-co.) & (waxgold) as individuals who use various other "alias" ebay user ID's to purchase these wax wrappers and then use these very same wrappers to construct counterfeit wax packs to then sell on ebay.

Unfortunately this third ebayer who has been aggressively buying vintage wax wrappers on ebay is doing exactly the same thing. Ebayer (hunter17045) out of PA. for months now has been selling vintage wax packs using this ID. But at the same time he has been buying a substantial amount of vintage wax wrappers under a second ebay ID (codyemma17) also out of PA--notice the common denominator of (17) in both ID's.

Not surprising (hunter17045) sells his packs using ebay's "private listing" format. Thus ebayers cannot view his past sales to see exactly what he sold. Additionally by using this format ebayers cannot contact a current high bidder on one of his packs to warn them.

As with import-export-co. & waxgold I have documented over two dozen "perfect matches" between raw wrappers purchased by (codyemma17) and subsequent wrappers appearing on wax packs listed on ebay by (hunter17045).

(codyemma17) has a very peculiar buying history. 100% of all his purchases are items that are required to contruct wax packs. All his purchases are limited to vintage wax wrappers, vintage wax pack inserts, mid to high-grade vintage singles and vintage empty wax boxes.

In the last three months he has acquired a tremendous hoard of pre-72 wax wrappers and pre-72 high grade singles. He has also accumulated a large amount of vintage topps "inserts" such as '71 baseball coins, '69 & '67 baseball posters, '79 hockey stickers & '69 baseball deckle photos.

He has also purchased several vintage empty wax boxes that came with all of the original raw wrappers! Though (hunter17045) appears relatively new he has acquired quite a "portfolio" and could do a lot of damage on ebay in the near future as he is quickly picking up steam in his endeavors.

So for this reason I want to bring him to the attention of my fellow PSA board members. As I did with my import-export-co. and waxgold posts I will now give the ebay listing# of a 1965 topps baseball wax wrapper purchased by (codyemma17) on May 12th. Then just twelve days later on May 24th (hunter17045) placed several vintage wax packs on ebay including a 1965 Topps baseball wax pack sporting this identical wax wrapper.

For the viewing benefit of our fellow members if anyone out there could graciously download (preferably) side by side enlarged pictures of the raw wrapper and wax pack in the above ebay listings I would greatly appreciate it--I've yet to figure out how to do this task.

Notice on the front of both wrappers the white dot below and to the left of the (5) cents and a small white dot a little further down and left. Notice on both wrappers the two small white dots above the (A) in baseball and also the white dot to the left of the (B) in baseball.

Notice on both wrappers the blue ink smuded onto the bottom of the white letter (T) in the topps flag. And also the two large white abrasion spots on the forearm. See also on both wrappers the small horizonal crease moving away from the second (L) in baseball.

And for the "clincher" on the reverse of both wrappers you will see (four) very prominent ink spots that stand out against the black letters in the words, (here), (explodes), (minnesota) & (artificially).

All of the above described "matches" serving as undisputable evidence that (hunter17045) is selling a counterfeit wax pack on ebay! (I could have used a more comprehensive concluding statement but I will leave it at that).
"You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

The FBI will act against all of the pack-counterfeiters, if they receive enough reports.

www.ic3.gov
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Jesus Ripkencollector you must live on these boards! Anyways your timing is impeccable as usual and I wholeheartedly thank you. It is frustrating when I go to all this work and not be able to finish it off with the most visual aspect of it.

Thank you as well poppaj. We members on this board thank the both of you!!!
  • Options
    The empty wrapper is now a counterfeit pack.

Absolutely the SAME wrapper.
  • Options

<< <i>Jesus Ripkencollector you must live on these boards! Anyways your timing is impeccable as usual and I wholeheartedly thank you. It is frustrating when I go to all this work and not be able to finish it off with the most visual aspect of it.

Thank you as well poppaj. We members on this board thank the both of you!!! >>

No problem at all. Try to help when I can.

Thank YOU ! for exposing yet another fraud.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    << Jesus Ripkencollector you must live on these boards! Anyways your timing is impeccable as usual and I wholeheartedly thank you. It is frustrating when I go to all this work and not be able to finish it off with the most visual aspect of it.

Thank you as well poppaj. We members on this board thank the both of you!!! >>

DITTO to what Donovan said image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    scoutsout47scoutsout47 Posts: 520 ✭✭

Good eye, Summero!

I'm a big fan of your detective work.
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Is this Cody also an alt for Codyp2000 who is also horrible to deal with on eBay? He sells low grade cards (perhaps that are not worthy of going in resealed packs. Be curious to know either way.

Codyp2000 is also in PA I believe.
  • Options
    Vito, very interesting question. I did some quick investigating and ebayer (Codyp2000) is out of Roaring Springs, PA. (Hunter17045) is from Enola, Pa.--roughly 75 miles from each other. Moreover codyp2000 had been regularly buying with that ID since 2000 but all of a sudden he stopped ALL buying in (February 2009) and has purchased nothing since.

Just by coincidence ebayer (codyemma17) first joined ebay and began his wrapper buying spree in, that's right, (February 2009)!!!

Also guess what codyp2000 currently has for sale on ebay?--over 8800 high grade vintage singles from all sports in "buy it now" auctions. Does this sound familiar? Remember that import-export-co. had at least five different user Id's--two to sell packs, two to buy wrappers and last but not least a fifth ID with 11,000+ high grade vintage singles in "buy it now" auctions.

In (codyp2000)'s "about me" page he says his name is Bill Perkins so that is where the P comes from in his ID. I'm wondering if any board members have a name associated with (hunter17045) or any name or city associated with his alias (codyemma17)?

• Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    Has anyone on the boards purchased any packs from any of the 3?

If so, I would like to know what condition the cards were in? Was their any stars in the packs?

Just curious

Dave
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it conceivable that the end seller himself purchased the packs from a re-sealer? Is it possible you are not correct as to the identity of the owners of the various accounts you are tracking? I want to get a hold of that exploding battleship, you think Topps still honors 1965 wax wrapper redemptions?
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Same wrapper, no doubt. Practically impossible the wrapper was 'won' on the 12th shipped to the new owner and resold again to a '3rd' owner, and shipped/received all within 13 days.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    In addition to what Ripken says just look at the two user ID's:

(hunter17045) (codyemma17) This seller chose the 17 in both his ID's for a reason. Ebay pack counterfeiters choose their multiple Id's not thinking they will ever be linked.

And remember I have over two dozen confirmed wrapper/wax pack matches between these two ID's. It's the same person--at the very least their co-conspirators...
  • Options

hunter17045.........( 59).......... 10 months......... PA, United States

codyemma17.........( 71) ..........3 months............ PA, United States

////////

Bill Perkins

William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
  • Options
    For any doubters here's a second counterfeit pack currently on ebay for sale by hunter17045--a 1961 Fleer baseball wax pack--listing#250432467121.

The wrapper used to contruct this pack was once again purchased by his alias ID codyemma17 on April 24. Ebay listing#200332945729.

To make it short if you just look at the two reverses of the wrappers you will see a deep crease running straight across from the (SF) in the baseball cap to the first (B) in Baseball.

On both wrapper reverses you will also see another deep crease running from the top of the (G) in Giants angling downward to the bottom of the (t) in Giants and then heading straight down through the logo entirely.

Another positive match confirming multiple acts of fraud by hunter17045!
  • Options

<< <i>65 Topps Wrapper May 12th

65 Topps Wax Pack May 25th >>

//////////////////////////////////////

EBAY poofs dutymon's legit listings, but leaves this FRAUD.

• Options
    Start with the low revenue packs first?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    "Is this Cody also an alt for Codyp2000 who is also horrible to deal with on eBay? He sells low grade cards (perhaps that are not worthy of going in resealed packs. Be curious to know either way."

I was thinking the same thing. He always used to have "set breaks" from 1970's Topps singles and had ridiculously high combined shipping costs. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if this guy just buys full or near (EXMT-NM) 70's sets, puts the commons in the counterfeit packs and sells the star singles individually. Bill Perkins is indeed his name though. Even up to like 2 years ago he didn't accept Paypal payments so you had to snail mail it but I remember buying a few 75 T singles off of him and half of what I received weren't the cards in the scans.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Summer, I don't know what your real job is but you should be a detective. That is some persistence paying off there.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

Closed at $104.00+

The SCUM paid $30 for the wrapper.

Lotta work and risk for not too much return.

Listing was reported multiple times.

EBAY refused to poof it.

• Options

They continue to allow this guy to list his stuff.

amazing
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out this one, the wrapper's torn!!! Anyone who bids on that garbage has more money than brains.

66 Pack
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is simply mind-boggling that anyone would bid on this carp and even more amazing that his FB is at 100%...I'd love to see someone nearby to this clown attempt a local pickup, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Multiple reports to EBAY will get the stuff poofed.

• Options
    The dream is that whoever wins some of these packs is able to sell the wrapper at a profit
    Tom