Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Colonial Coin Friday *lets see those old folks*

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Old Flavor of worn colonial copper has enchanted generations of collectors. Most of us have one, or two, or a hundred....but these big old coppers played a major part in our day to day currency for generations. When they were officially 'demonitized' in 1857, no doubt some were still seeing active use, such as this worn old Conneticut from my "kid" collection. Had this one for 40 years... so post em if ya got em

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's one of my Conn coppers, on a small planchet, maybe brass...

• Options
    and a Woods' Hibernia:

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nice Vermont copper! Was that a recent buy?
  • Options
    The New Jersey cent played a big part in my young coin days,....walking uptown in a snowstorm to look at a display of them at a boy scout meeting....getting Mom to haul me to a local historic site, mostly so I could go to the post office there and look at two they had on display...it was an object of desire for quite awhile....

as a teen in love with antiques, coins and NJ history, heck this thing had it all. I bought this one, about 1967, age 13

• Options
    78750Aggie78750Aggie Posts: 417 ✭✭
    imageimage
    Aggie
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alas, I lack scans of my few, which are all of the "holey" persuasion.

No, wait... I bought a Fugio from Thiggy... I'll bet his picture of it is still around...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tah dahh.

Don't laugh- it cost like, uhh, maybe thirty bucks or so, tops. And I'd never owned a Fugio. I consider it a nice addition to the the Holey Coin Vest.

I also have a double-headed Washington cent and a Nova Constellatio and maybe a CT copper on there (all holey, of course).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    I've got many 'doggy' colonials like these. One of my 'sub-hobbies' is to acquire cruddy copper at bargain basement prices and try to attribute it. It's a lot of fun and a way to really learn a series. For instance, this lil' beauty turns out to be a 1786, Maris 23, if you can believe it (or care).

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Vermont copper! Was that a recent buy? >>

Thanks. No, I've had it for a while. It's pedigreed to the Dr. Robert I. Hinkley Collection of Vermont Coppers, where it was plated and described as "(Ryder-16), B.15-S, Mailed Bust Right, Rarity-1, VF20. Medium tan surfaces..."

Dr. Hinkley was the leading collector of Vermont coppers of his era. He owned the Stickley-Bowers Ryder-1, for instance (the finest known, by some accounting) and was considered an expert for decades. He was a small town physician, quiet about his collecting, but known in the field. The number of Vermont coppers in his collection is likely totally unparalleled in American numismatic history.
  • Options
    What an interesting thread! wish I had more to contribute...

smittys connt. does it all for me. corrosion, green stuff, planchet lamination, the evil eye look on the portrait, what a great patina and color
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
  • Options
    Now, THAT's a coin with character!!!
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
  • Options
    That Mass. 2 pence of Bill's is an amazing piece- probably a plate coin somewhere, no?
  • Options
    SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey Posts: 3,311

<< <i>SpaceMonkey ... are those still in slabs or did you crack them out? >>

as much as i would love to have them raw... i could never get the guts to do it image

-sm
  • Options
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When they were officially 'demonitized' in 1857............. >>

It was the foreign silver and gold coins that were demonitized in 1857. Colonials were never monetized so how can they be demonitized?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>When they were officially 'demonitized' in 1857............. >>

It was the foreign silver and gold coins that were demonitized in 1857. Colonials were never monetized so how can they be demonitized? >>

Hate to call you out ambro, but Perry's right. In fact, I was just reading about this very subject in Bowers' new colonial book:
    "Selected foreign silver and gold coins remained legal tender until after the Act of February 21, 1857, mandated their retirement. An extension was granted for two years, then another for six months, making them useful in commerce well into the year 1859."

Still a great thread though! image

And it begs another question: How late into the 19th Century were state coppers and other privately minted "colonial" coins routinely accepted in American commerce?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And it begs another question: How late into the 19th Century were state coppers and other privately minted "colonial" coins routinely accepted in American commerce? >>

When the country transitioned from large cents to small cents in 1857, there was a surge of interest in coin collecting---especially the old large cents. I imagine the old prefederal coppers were removed from circulation soon after.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Umm.... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file