Home Metal Detecting
Options

Decent outing today! 3 pieces of silver

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
1 Indian Head Cent - 1892
3 Silver Dimes - 1944, 1946 and 1947
6 Wheat Cents ranging from 1919 to 1958

I'm not sure what was in that soil but I didn't even know the Roosevelts were silver until I got them home! Is there a reasonable way to clean them besides the ol' dip in tarn-x?

Comments

• Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    I can't wait to find my first piece of silver :Jealous:
    Its all relative
  • Options
    That's a good day.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver is good anytime..try some good old soap and water.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 10 years I have found only 5 pieces of silver ever. Three in one day is exceptional.
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904

<< <i>In 10 years I have found only 5 pieces of silver ever. Three in one day is exceptional. >>

I've found more than that in pocket change over the last 2 years lol.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    that is a better day then any i ever had.

3 silver dimes beat my one silver quarter so far!
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In 10 years I have found only 5 pieces of silver ever. Three in one day is exceptional. >>

I've found more than that in pocket change over the last 2 years lol. >>

Cars, 2 of the 5 silver coins were found in 15 minutes at the corner of a cemetary. I wish I could get out more to harvest more clad but the pursuit of billable hours dominates my days.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice silver day... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets see I have 4 Silver Rosies so far this year and you have 3 in one day. I think that makes for you having an exceptional day.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed,three silver coins found in one outing is outstanding.

i'm still waiting to find the pocketful of lost silver since i took detecting back up last October.

Rub the dimes gently between your fingers with water and some baking soda to remove the tarnish.The baking soda is mildly abrasive,but along with the gentle rubbing,will do a nice job of brightening your silver coins.Of course,dipping in silver cleaner will work.

Every now and then when i dirt fished back in the '70's,i would find a silver coin with black discoloration on parts of its surface.Animal dung from the nearby city zoo was used to fertilize in the park.i would think concentrations of this fertilizer were responsible for discoloring some of the silver coins that i would find.

You might want to make sure your fingers aren't melting after digging a site like the one where you found these three dimes.

Seriously,to help avoid getting cut, wear a waterproof glove on your digging hand if there is a lot of scrap metal or glass in the soil.Would work to help protect the skin in highly corrosive soil as well, i would think. I use a "Flex Tuff" and i think it's well worth the few bucks i spent for it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    cool digs....is'nt a 1946 dime a merc ? i can't remember ? i thought rosies started in 47...great finds for a day of md'ing...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>cool digs....is'nt a 1946 dime a merc ? i can't remember ? i thought rosies started in 47...great finds for a day of md'ing...hh >>

Thanks! Always a treat digging silver. 1945 was the last Merc and Rosies started in 1946. Close enough though!
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Ummm yeah, I've NEVER dug silver. I'm insanely jealous!!!
    Be Still and Know