Home Metal Detecting
Options

Roots

Will roots cause a detector to sound? It seems like a dig a lot of signals that just end up as some big root. Am I just not digging well? Im not the most patient guy
so if there are a lot of big roots I usually just quit, can roots cause the detector to go off?

Thanks
Kevin

Comments

• Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Only if they're made of metal.
    Don't hunt around ironwood trees.image

Ray
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Ironwood. Good one Lathmach!!

Joe,

Sometimes there are coins that get wedged in between roots, so that may be why you're detector is sounding off. They're miserable to dig out and I can't blame you for losing patience!

Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    i dug a walker half under a big root once. another time i dug 2 half dollar size silver chinese coins from the base of a palm tree. needed an axe to get those out. this is a hobby based on patience. sometimes i walk an hour before getting anything good. i spent all day today to dig 2 silver dimes and buffalo nickel.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I have heard that some tree roots will make a detector sound, I don't know why but I believe it.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have heard that some tree roots will make a detector sound, I don't know why but I believe it.

Tree roots can be very frustrating to deal with.One of my best finds ever was under a substantial tree root,a 1906 D dime that must have been lost in 1906.One could have called this coin uncirculated. I must have spent a half-hour trying to get this little jewel out of the ground.

Tree roots would have a different density than soil and could give false signal as one sweeps over them.I'm thinking that mainly patience is what's needed when working in tree roots,however.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the tree roots have grown around, and caused metal to be embedded, they will NOT cause a detector to react. Roots will encase metallic objects sometimes - perhaps more frequently than we know. RickO
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Tree roots can also absorb various chemicals and end up being electrically conductive.
  • Options
    I would add that if one does get metal indication while going over tree roots,look for repeatability of the sound.

If the sound is repeatable,it most likely is a symmetrical metal object you are detecting.That object could well be a coin in the roots, given that it repeats.

If roots,in fact,can somehow become more electrically conductive than the soil around them giving you false indications,there would most likely NOT be repeatability of the sound in the absence of a symmetrical metal object like a coin.

How to check for repeatability? If you get a "good" sound pattern when going over the target in East to West direction, go over it North to South and see if you consistently get the same sound pattern.No repeatability? Probably not a coin.

Working around tree roots can be especially challenging to the novice for more than one reason.The main reason being that there is typically more junk around trees than in open areas.This junk can mask or distort the good sound of a possible coin in the tree's roots.Here there is no substitute for some experience digging targets around trees. Also, a coin can be very difficult to get out of the ground if heavily involved with a tree's roots. One should be very careful no matter what your level of expertise since it is very easy to damage a root bound coin with the digging tool. As one gets more experience digging in tree roots,one becomes more aware of how easy it is to cause damage to the detected object while trying to get it out of the ground.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    This is the time a good pinpointer can help!!!!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    are items often detected around trees? I'd imagine many a person may have sat beneath trees, increasing the probability of losing some change / stuff
  • Options
    I'd imagine many a person may have sat beneath trees, increasing the probability of losing some change / stuff

I don't even want to think about the stuff around old trees that I missed in earlier days.Typically,one would have to clear the considerable junk to found around an old tree before working the tree for coins.And,yes, that junk gets in and under the roots too.

• Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904

<< <i>This is the time a good pinpointer can help!!!!

Jerry >>

Or a cordless sawzall image
    Its all relative
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A high pressure water source is the best method.... though normally unavailable at the site. image Cheers, RickO