Home Metal Detecting
Options

Extremely stupid question, can the lower half of a detector go underwater?

The reason I’m asking is, I figured many people would toss coins off a bridge, and there are many small walk over and single car drive over bridges in upstate NY. The new bridge may have been built a few years ago but, there was an older one before that and another before that.

So, I figured it might be worth it to go in knee deep, and move the lower half of a water proof detector around the base of a small walking bridge to look for coins.

Am I completly nuts?

Comments

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    yes it can
    just don't trip and fall
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    ***Also don't hold the coil up in the air above the detector box***
    Water can run down the rod and may get into the box!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    very cool
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. One of my favorite finds story is finding a lost ladys gold ring in a gold fish pond under about 5 inchs of gunk under about a foot of water.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your using it in salt water make sure you rinse it well with
    fresh water when your done.
  • Options
    I don't recommend using near the ocean... one good wave and your detector could be ruined.

I was told that my first detector was great for beach hunting, but it wasn't completely waterproof... for real worry-free beach hunting you need to find a good underwater model.
  • Options
    i have recently discovered my f2 can work in small creeks and ponds but im not sure about salt water.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some good luck at the bottom of a small waterfall here in Santa Cruz, CA, finding about $3.00 in change. I *did* get hopeful for a moment it might have been gold I was detecting. No such luck. imageP
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    it can go in the water at least once, may never work again but i guess that depends on if what you plan to find is worth the risk