Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Digicat's Rookie of the Year project - raw reboot

Some unexpected expenses came up this year, and I decided to liquidate a few of the graded rookie card sets I was collecting. The biggest was the Rookie of the Year collection. Anyways, I retired at #2 with 95.97% of the set (just 5 cards short of the whole thing).

So, I sold a bunch of stuff, and to my delight, I actually profited on the sale, even after taking postage, ebay fees, and paypal fees into account. I didn't even sell the Hall of Famers. With the economy as it is, I expected up to a 20% loss, not a 10% profit. I had more money left over after I covered my expenses, so I decided to re-build the Rookie of the Year set in raw form for display in a binder. With a brief overview of closing prices on Ebay, I figured that I could rebuild the whole set for a tiny fraction of what I paid to build the graded version.

So, I made color photo-copies of my graded HoFer rookies for use in the binder, and began picking up decent looking raw cards to complete this set.

Here's a link to what I've built so far (pretty Photobucket display), and I'll add scans to the 'Bucket and post updates as they come in.

my Rookie of the Year collection

Only 10 cards to go:
1947 ML - Jackie Robinson (1948 Leaf)
1948 ML - Alvin Dark (1948 Leaf or 1949 Bowman)
1952 NL - Joe Black (1952 Topps)
1953 NL - Jim Gilliam (1953 Topps)
2001 AL - Ichiro Suzuki (2001 Bowman Chrome)
2001 NL - Albert Pujols (2001 SP Authentic)
2006 NL - Hanley Ramirez (2003 Bowman Chrome AU)
2007 NL - Ryan Braun (2005 Bowman Chrome AU)
2008 AL - Evan Longoria (2006 Bowman Chrome AU)
2008 NL - Geovany Soto (2005 SP Authentic AU)
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    Very cool presentation. I didn't remember some of te guys so it was great to just go through and see year to year.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Very nice. It's interesting to see how many of these ROY's turned into pretty much one hit wonders.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    That's a heck of a nice set, I can see why you've been so passionate about it.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    As a neat little bit of trivia, this set includes 2 rather significant uncorrected errors:

1960 Topps Gary Peters (shows J.C Martin. Martin's card has Gary Peters on it)
    1995 Topps Traded Carlos Beltran (shows Juan Lebron, Lebron's card has Beltran on it)

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Great idea Digi. You can often get beautiful raw cards for pennies on the dollar compared to their graded counterparts.

Slightly changing subjects I love to see a Giant's fan collecting so many Dodger cards because we have pretty much owned that award historically! image

• Options

<< <i>Slightly changing subjects I love to see a Giant's fan collecting so many Dodger cards because we have pretty much owned that award historically! >>

14 Dodger RoYs, 1 HoFer (Jackie Robinson), 1 future HoFer (Piazza).

5 Giants RoYs, 3 HoFers (Mays, Cepeda, McCovey).

Quality over quantity. image

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..........I expected up to a 20% loss, not a 10% profit........... >>

Does that mean I could have offered less than $17.75 on the PSA 9 1972 Chambliss? image
  • Options

Quality over quantity.

Let me input my smile face up front as I am just BSing with you Digi.... image I love living in Nor Cal with Giant's fans who try to skew things. If you want to say the above then that's fine. Giant's "beat" the Dodger's for hall of famers who were rookies of the year. What about total hall of famers? I don't have the time to calculate but I promise the Dodger's have more. PLUS, even more imporant how about the numebr of championships? Since moving west the Giant's have won ZERO World Series titles. I believe they have only been there twice. The Dodger's won it in '59, 63, 65, 81 and 88. They also went to the series several other years and lost.

Fans? Nor Cal fans love to say how LA fans arrive late and leave early. However, let's remember the Dodger's started having over 3mil fans a year back when "attendance" actually meant butts in seats and not just tickets sold. Furthermore, the Dodger's didn't have to shrink their stadium to 40k people to get "sell outs." They can sell out all 55k+.

Plus, if I had a choice between watching a game with swaying palm trees in the horizon or blowing pieces of trash in the heavy cold wind I will take a nice balmy So Cal night any time.

All in all comparing the Dodger's and Giant's is always going to favor the Giant's unless you skew a statistic to make it look like the Giant's have done better.

Case closed!

Having said all that, I do like your rookie of the year, aka Jackie Robinson award, project.
  • Options

<< <i><< ..........I expected up to a 20% loss, not a 10% profit........... >>

Does that mean I could have offered less than $17.75 on the PSA 9 1972 Chambliss? >>

Was that you? Heh. Probably not, I've still got a ways to go on this raw ROY project. Every cent counts! image

• Options

<< <i>What about total hall of famers? I don't have the time to calculate but I promise the Dodger's have more. >>

Total HoFers who played with Brooklyn/LA = 47 (14 with Dodgers as primary team)
    Total HoFers who played with NY/SF =57 (25 with Giants as primary team)

<< <i>Since moving west the Giant's have won ZERO World Series titles. >>

What's a World Series title? I have no idea what that is.

<< <i>Having said all that... >>

Blah blah blah. Your words have no meaning in my fantasy land!

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a neat little bit of trivia, this set includes 2 rather significant uncorrected errors:

1995 Topps Traded Carlos Beltran (shows Juan Lebron, Lebron's card has Beltran on it) >>

I didn't know this was a basketball set, too!

Very nice collection, and I don't think you lose a thing by going raw...
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    WTF is Todd Hollandsworth wearing?
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options

This surprises me. I stand corrected. Too bad all those HOFers can't figure out how to win a world series. I am rooting for the Cub's to win one because that should put the Giant's as about the longest sufferers without winning one!?

• Options

<< <i>WTF is Todd Hollandsworth wearing? >>

Heh, it was the 90s!

1992 Bowman has lots of pics like that. Check out Chipper Jones' card for that set. Long sleeve button down shirt, ball cap, and shorts?

• Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What about total hall of famers? I don't have the time to calculate but I promise the Dodger's have more. >>

<< <i>Since moving west the Giant's have won ZERO World Series titles. >>

What's a World Series title? I have no idea what that is.

<< <i>Having said all that... >>

Blah blah blah. Your words have no meaning in my fantasy land! >>

I gotta chime in and support my fellow Giants fan here. larryallen, you made some good points. Yes, we are starved for a World Series win but at least Giants fans (the real fans) have passion. I just never get that feeling about Dodgers fans.

I've only been to Dodger Stadium twice and it was the final 2 games of the '93 season when the Giants were fighting with the Braves for the NL West title. The Giants pulled out a close win on Saturday, beating Hershiser and the Dodgers and winning the 3rd straight game of a 4 game series. Sunday was a complete meltdown and the Dodgers blew out the Giants early and ruined our playoff chances.

What was really funny was that on both days I was wearing my Giants cap and not one person made any comments to me even though I was in enemy territory. On the other hand, I wore a Cal t-shirt on Saturday and was razzed all day by SC and UCLA fans while walking around the stadium. While this is based on just 2 games, it really confirmed for me the long held NorCal view that Dodger fans just aren't that passionate about their team.

• Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Total HoFers who played with Brooklyn/LA = 47 (14 with Dodgers as primary team)

This surprises me. I stand corrected. Too bad all those HOFers can't figure out how to win a world series. I am rooting for the Cub's to win one because that should put the Giant's as about the longest sufferers without winning one!? >>

Heh, funny you should mention that. That is the exact reason why I don't want the Cubs or Indians (don't forget about them) to get a title. As long as those 2 franchises are shut out, the Giants can fly under the radar!
  • Options
    Looks like this is turning into a Giants vs Dodgers debate! Fun!

Anyways, back on track... before I get home tonight and see what's in the mail, I figure I'll share the most recent additions to my set (added this weekend):

The pics are small, but you can see the whole card via the link in the first post of this thread.

1954 NL ROY Wally Moon
    (1954 Topps)
    The card was listed as "VG", but it looks a lot nicer than that. The rough-cut edges seems to help hide the worn corners, making for a card that presents well. The PSA 7 I used to have had an ugly green roller mark on the front near his face. This one's much prettier.

1973 AL ROY Al Bumbry
    (1973 Topps)
    AKA Dwight Evan's rookie card. Centering's a little off, but the rough cut makes me love it more. image

2008 AL ROY Evan Longoria
    (2006 Bowman Originals)
    The PSA set registry uses his 2008 Bowman Chrome. I like the 2006 Bowman Originals better because it doesn't look like a fake-vintage card (e.g. 2006 Bowman Heritage) and it doesn't cost over $150 (2006 Bowman Chrome auto). It's still a nice looking card too, with clean white borders and some spiffy gold foil on the front. image

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Slightly changing subjects I love to see a Giant's fan collecting so many Dodger cards because we have pretty much owned that award historically! >>

Quality over quantity. image >>

+1 for a big Giants fan really being a Dodgers closet fan...image

Seriously Rich, Great idea for a project....Good luck and have lots of fun.

Brian

P.S. You must send all of your Dodgers cards to me.

Jedi Mind Trickimage
  • Options
    New addition:

1955 AL ROY - Herb Score
    (1956 Topps)

Great rough-cut edges. It's a little tall though, barely fits in a sleeve, and doesn't fit in a PSA holder well. Weird.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice looking cards.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Three new additions arrived in the mail yesterday...

1953 AL ROY Harvey Kuenn
    (1954 Topps)
    Pretty nice card for $3. NM, but marked with 2 black "X"s written on the back in black ink that's bled into the card, and had a small "1954" stamp on the lower-right corner. I got the dumb idea to see if I could get the ink off the front, but ended up stripping off the card's surface instead (hence the white cloud). You can still see the stamp too. Should have just left it alone. image

2003 NL ROY Dontrelle Willis
    (2002 Bowman Chrome Draft)

2005 AL ROY Huston Street
    (2002 SP Authentic - USA Future Watch)
    His first MLB cards are in 2004, but this card was released as an insert in 2002 SP Authentic packs, so, like with the Dustin Pedroia card, I think it fits.

• Options
    A few more: a pair of cards with a 50 year age difference. Heh.

1955 NL ROY - Bill Virdon
    (1955 Bowman)

2007 NL ROY - Ryan Braun
    (2005 Topps Chrome Traded)

• Options
    Interesting to see the NL with 11 black Rookie of the Year winners by the time the AL had its first
    Tom
  • Options
    Some new additions from this weekend:

1950 AL ROY - Walt Dropo
    (1950 Bowman)

1952 AL ROY - Harry Byrd
    (1953 Topps)

1997 NL ROY - Kerry Wood
    (1997 Bowman Chrome)

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I also have such a set. I try to use the card issued the year after the player wins the ROY.

I go back to 1947. By using the year after, it is almost always a card where the player is alone and

shows the stats.

Beginning in 1952 I use strictly Topps, before then Bowman is used.

It is also a neat way to see how Topps changed from year to year too.

Good luck on your set.

I also do MVP, CY Young and Fireman of the year award winners.

On a few occasions I had to use a Fleer card 1963 Fleer Wills comes to mind.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    A few new additions:

1949 AL ROY - Roy Sievers
    (1950 Bowman)

1951 AL ROY - Gil McDougald
    (1952 Bowman)

• Options
    The 2009 RoY winners, and a few autographed rookie cards:

2009 NL ROY - Chris Coghlan
    (2007 Bowman Chrome Prospects)

2009 AL ROY - Andrew Bailey
    (2007 Bowman Chrome Prospects)

2006 AL ROY - Justin Verlander
    (2003 Upper Deck Finite Stars & Stripes)

2004 NL ROY - Jason Bay
    (2002 Finest)

1998 NL ROY - Kerry Wood
    (1997 Bowman Certified Autographs)

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Digi nice set! I too have a set but I use the following years card, I prefer to see the stats that made them the Rookie of the year.

I'm not sure I fully understand (and I know the Giants have never won a WS while in SF) But they did win 5 or 6 while in NY to
    Brooklyns 1, so all those Hall of Famers did in fact know how to win (or at least knew better then the Dodgers) image

Unless of course they were playing the Yanks.

Steve

edited spelling.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Digi nice set! I too have a set but I use the following years card, I prefer to see the stats that made them the Rookie of the year. >>

ARAGH! You're giving me ideas now! Like I didn't have enough crap! image

• Options
    A new autographed upgrade:

2002 NL ROY - Jason Jennings
    (1999 Topps Traded Autographs)

• Options
    Continuing with the out-of-the-pack autograph replacement upgrades:

2001 AL ROY - Eric Hinske
    (2001 Donruss Signature Series Proofs #/25)