Home Precious Metals
Options

A Trillion dollars...

...is a lot of money. Do the politicians realize this?

If Jesus Christ spent one million dollars each day, from the moment he was born until today, he STILL would not have spent a Trillion dollars.

All of the gold EVER mined, in the History of Civilization, valued at todays prices would be worth FOUR trillion dollars.

You can do the math & research if you doubt me, but I have been doing these (Fermi) estimates as a classroom exercise in Physics for thirty years. Phood Phor thought.
Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    It's not that much in Zimbabwe.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    yet another reason to never visit Africa.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

• Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    A stack of 1 dollar bills equaling 1 Trillion dollars, would be 65,000 miles high
    Laid down at the equator it would circle the earth about 2 1/2 times
    that stack in 100 dollar bills = 650 miles high
    that stack in 1,000 dollar bills = 65 miles

Our current national debt in a stack of 1 dollar bills, laid down at the equator, would circle the earth about 29 times
    In other words a stack of $1,000 dollar bills equaling 1 Trillion dollar, and laid down on the side of the road, would take about an hour to pass at highway speed

Warren Buffet could make 1/5 the population of the United States millionaires (or probably about half the familes) and thats with only 6% of $1 Trillion
    WRONG - SORRY BAD MATH -----^
    he could make 62,000 millionaires
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHOOSH! (The sound of value disappearing from the dollar.)

WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH! WHOOSH!

Shall I continue?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    It's amazingly awful
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    1 trillion divided by 250 million = four thousand

how do you factor in the amount of people living in the US versus
    how much the govt spends?

as the population grows.. so should the money supply and the amounts
    tossed around.

I used a conservative 250 million for the population of the US.

304,059,724 is more accurate now days.

1 trillion divided by 304 059 724 = 3289
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Warren Buffet could make 1/5 the population of the United States millionaires (or probably about half the familes) and thats with only 6% of $1 Trillion >>

May want to check your math on that one... HINT: it's incorrect image
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Warren Buffet could make 1/5 the population of the United States millionaires (or probably about half the familes) and thats with only 6% of $1 Trillion >>

May want to check your math on that one... HINT: it's incorrect image >>

ya I screwed that part up
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Illustration: Man standing beside 1 trillion dollars (in flats of $100 bills)

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>1 trillion divided by 250 million = four thousand

how do you factor in the amount of people living in the US versus
    how much the govt spends?

as the population grows.. so should the money supply and the amounts
    tossed around.

I used a conservative 250 million for the population of the US.

304,059,724 is more accurate now days.

1 trillion divided by 304 059 724 = 3289 >>

Good point FC. And we are at what, a 12 Trillion dollar deficit? So every man, woman and child in the US currently owes $39,468.00. That means those living in my house, of whom I am currently the only breadwinner, owe $197,340.00. To me, that is real money, and more than I owe on my mortgage ( by almost double).

Edited to add, and this doesn't obviously include the new health care plan, Social Security and Medicaid's unfunded liabilities, etc. Amazing.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    It ain't the guberments money so they don't care how they spend it.
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    It's just paper and ink.....image We have plenty of trees and ink left....image
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Does that mean my credit card is maxed out...image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another way to think of it is that instead of the $2 trillion + in recent bailouts over the last year, the government could have just sent around $10,000 cash to every man, woman and child in the country. I think something like that might stimulate the economy a little better than the extra $15 bucks or so I get in my paycheck now and bailing out wall street and a few banks image
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Another way to think of it is that instead of the $2 trillion + in recent bailouts over the last year, the government could have just sent around $10,000 cash to every man, woman and child in the country. I think something like that might stimulate the economy a little better than the extra $15 bucks or so I get in my paycheck now and bailing out wall street and a few banks

Agree on the principle, but its only $6700 each, not counting illegals.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited to add, and this doesn't obviously include the new health care plan, Social Security and Medicaid's unfunded liabilities, etc. Amazing.

It doesn't include the "unfunded" liabilities of the remaining $195 TRILLION in derivatives held by JPM, Citt, BoA, GS, and WFC. Assuming even a miniscule failure rate of 10% which would be the cherriest of all scenarios, that's almost $20 TRILL to be somehow paid out over X number of years to keep these banks floated. The negative positions will likely not improve much. Before it's all said and done, something on the order of at least $20 TRILLION would have been paid out to help mitigate the current financial crisis.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yet another reason to never visit Africa. >>

Ah come on fastrudy, I've been there twice. Some places do suck and some are just awesome. I once visited Kenya on a 10 day safari (2003) and my wife and I went to Ethiopia (2006) to pick up two kids (adoption). Both countries are beautiful. My idea of Ethiopia was embodied in the late great comedian Sam Kinison....one funny crazy screamer....1980's vintage. Basically I thought it was all sand as he said. The capital Addis Ababa is 8,000' MSL. Think of tropical vegetation in the Rockies that never get snow. The people are very nice and friendly.

Ren
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Let's see if they used the 9 trillion on all the home loans the Americans wouldn't have any. If they spend the rest of the 14 trillion on pay off all of our credit cards and car loans we would have money to burn. What did they do? Double dip giving the money to the wealthy on Wallstreet and the banks. Now what does that tell you about how they feel about Americans? We need to deep six the whole group for the most part IMO.
  • Options
    Yes 1 trillion dollars is a lot of money, but you have to realize they only deficit spend that amount once a year.image
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I administer federally funded projects on the municipal level. It is stunning to observe on a daily basis the frenzy to spend so-called Stimulus money quickly. Its all about spending money in the next 120-150 days without any particular regard to whether or not its a good use of all this new borrowed deficit spending. Hopefully they're serious about the promised oversight - I see lots of potential for waste, fraud and abuse. These days bureaucrats mostly fear being criticized if they don't spend it all fast enough.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>A stack of 1 dollar bills equaling 1 Trillion dollars, would be 65,000 miles high
    Laid down at the equator it would circle the earth about 2 1/2 times
    that stack in 100 dollar bills = 650 miles high
    that stack in 1,000 dollar bills = 65 miles
    In other words a stack of $1,000 dollar bills equaling 1 Trillion dollar, and laid down on the side of the road, would take about an hour to pass at highway speed >>

Wait a minute..........................
    I don't drive all that fast.

Ray