Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Project (Pittsburgh Pirates) Rookies *Updated 02-16-10* '57 Maz

I've taken Bman's (Brian) idea which he is doing Dodger greats and favorite rookies. Brian I hope you don't mind? I have decided to do a project of Pittsburgh Pirate rookies, but what I feel are the greatest Pirates to ever play in Pittsburgh. My goal is to have post war (1948-1993) cards PSA 7 or better except for the Clemente which I have a 4. Prewar cards I'll be aiming will be PSA 3 or better. It should be a fun challenge.

My favorite card of all time

This is what I have bought in the last 6 weeks

Love Madlock on the 79 team.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Comments

• Options
    BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    good luck with the project
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, Thanks

Here's a Drabek I picked up

• Options
    cool. So who is on your list of the greatest?
  • Options
    Here's my list
    1909 -T206 Honus Wagner (Reprint) Not sure what Wagner to use in the set.
    1909 -T206 Fred Clarke
    1933 -Goudey-Paul Waner
    1933 -Goudey-Lloyd Waner
    1933- Goudey -Pie Traynor
    1933 -Goudey-Arky Vaughan
    1948 -Bowman- Ralph Kiner
    1948 -Leaf -Danny Murtaugh
    1951 -Bowman -Veron Law
    1952 -Topps -Dick Groat
    1952 -Bowman -Bob Friend
    1953 -Topps -Elroy Face
    1955 -Topps -Roberto Clemente
    1955 -Topps -Chuck Tanner
    1957 -Topps -Bill Mazeroski
    1962 -Topps -Dave Giusti
    1963 -Topps -Willie Stargell
    1965 -Topps -Steve Blass
    1968 -Topps -Manny Sanguillen
    1969 -Topps -Richie Hebner / Al Oliver
    1971 -Topps -Bert Byleven
    1974 -Topps -Dave Parker
    1974 -Topps -Bill Madlock
    1976 -Topps -John Candelaria
    1976 -Topps -Kent Tekulve
    1977 -Topps -Omar Moreno
    1981 -Topps- Tony Pena
    1982 -Fleer -Johnny Ray
    1984 -Donruss -Andy Van Slyke
    1987 -Fleer - Barry Bonds
    1987 -Fleer -Bobby Bonilla
    1987 -Donruss - Doug Drabek
    1993 -Topps Stadium -Jason Kendall

Edited Spelling
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    This sounds like a cool idea. I am from PGH. so will be following this carefully and hopefully helping you out. I am going to a show this weekend. If I see anything at a good price you want me to pick it up? I will only ask for cost + shipping and make sure I pick them up at least 20-25% below SMR.

Also, does this project include players that were Pirates (ex: Ted K.) but didn't start their career there? And will you ever buy raw cards with the hope they will grade out 7 or higher? For example, I have several Bonds that I think could get a 7...

PM me if you need if this not pertinent to the wider CU community....
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    There is a good Wagner reprint that I believe was made for one of the national conventions. They are pretty easy to find. They are very reasonably priced as well.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    The only raw cards I might pick up are the hard to find. It seems like Omar Moreno, Tony Pena, and Johnny Ray are impossible to find on ebay graded by psa. I was beat out on a Moreno PSA 9 a couple of weeks ago on ebay.
  • Options
    good idea,but I don't think the list would be complete without Mario Mendoza!image of the famed Mendoza line.

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    One of the best Pirate closers of all-time

added picture
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Who is that Barry Bonds guy? Seriously, keep us updated, this will be a fun one to keep and eye on.
  • Options
    Great idea and good luck, very nice Clemente and your off to a nice start!
  • Options
    As a lifelong Pirates collector I love this project. For the pre-war players it appears that you are going for popular cards that are far from rookies. With the exception of Vaughan all of those players had many cards issued before those on your list. Kiner also has several from 1947. If you are interested I can give you a list of the earlier issues for these guys.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've taken Bman's (Brian) idea which he is doing Dodger greats and favorite rookies. Brian I hope you don't mind? I have decided to do a project of Pittsburgh Pirate rookies, but what I feel are the greatest Pirates to ever play in Pittsburgh. My goal is to have post war (1948-1993) cards PSA 7 or better except for the Clemente which I have a 4. Prewar cards I'll be aiming will be PSA 3 or better. It should be a fun challenge.
    >>

Great project Bobby!!!!!! Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Brian
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    What no Brian Giles - I use to love watching Kendall and Giles playing together.

you could also expand to Jason Bay and Aramis Rameriz
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I would add 2 cards to your great project - 1953 topps don hoak, and 1972 topps bruce kison.

Hoak was only a Pirates player for a few years, but he was the emotional leader of the 1960 championship team and retired as a Pirate. He spent the rest of his short life with the Pirates organization.

Kison saved the Pirates twice in the 71 postseason as a rookie. In the NLCS, he shut down the Giants in game 4 after they were killing Steve Blass, then in the Series he saved the Pirates from falling behind 3-1 in game 4.

The Kitten could also make the list, but those 2 were special Pirates.

Great project!
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I think you missed a few:

Blackbeard
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    Captain Hook
    Captain Kidd
    And, of course, The Dread Pirate Roberts
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>............The Kitten could also make the list........ >>

He sure did pitch well against the Yanks in the World Series. image

Edited to add: Good luck with your project, and remember to show us the progress.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Great stuff. I love that '52 Bowman Friend especially. I also dig the Kent Tekulve.... Two guys I've always been tempted to start a player set of are Tekulve and Dennis Eckersley. Neither are on the registry yet.

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I love that Hebner/Oliver. That's up there with the 72 Fisk/Cooper. Any other candidates for best rookie duos on a card? Schmidt has Ron Cey, but is also accompanied by John "Rich" Hilton. Dusty Baker and Don Baylor share a card with Tom Paciorek. These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. Any others?
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    molitor trammell
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    BPorter --

I'm also a die-hard (and suffering) Pirates fan -- and Steelers fan, for that matter (although certainly not suffering).

Just curious why you're doing rookies rather than their first Pirate card.

That's one of my gripes with PSA's "All-Time" Sets -- I don't understand the logic of building "team" sets with players in another team's uniform.

At any rate, good luck . . . and I expect you'll be finished before the Bucs make the playoffs again image

Scott
  • Options
    Scott, It's great to see another Pirate fan on these boards. It's been a struggle for the last 16+ years, but I really can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just need the Alvarez's and McCutchen's to develope and they can become the impact players we've been waiting for.

• Options
    Gene Tenace and Vida Blue 1970
    Tom
  • Options
    Another great player from the 90's team. I just picked this up

• Options

<< <i>Kison saved the Pirates twice in the 71 postseason as a rookie. In the NLCS, he shut down the Giants in game 4 after they were killing Steve Blass, then in the Series he saved the Pirates from falling behind 3-1 in game 4.

Jimq i think I will add Kison to my set. Thanks Bobby
  • Options
    Even thought he is in a Phillies uni, ya gotta add Robert Walk.
  • Options
    This was my favorite player growing up. Unfortunately I saw him play late in his careerimage
  • Options
    I'm looking for a 1977 Omar Moreno PSA 8 or better and a 1976 John Candelaria PSA 9.
  • Options
    Nice Stargell, Great centering on that card.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    no love for Jay Bell or Cub killer Johnny Ray?
  • Options

<< <i>no love for Jay Bell or Cub killer Johnny Ray? >>

Johnny Ray is on my list tough card to find. If anyone has one I'm interested.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    doh..missed it. Scratch that...add John Smiley insteadimage.
  • Options
    I am glad to see their are other die hard Pirate fans besides me. Great start. Hey where is Phil Garner?
  • Options
    Just got this the other day.

• Options
    Thats a great looking VanSlyke card
  • Options
    Just received this in the mail today

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Ray was from a town next to me in Oklahoma. Growing up he always came to my HS to give clinics and talk to the kids. The guy was a really good player and ended his career in Japan. 2 time all star and hit .300 multiple times. Should have been ROY.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    BP, Nice Johnny Ray, Thats a low pop card (2) in that grade, nice score.
  • Options

<< <i>Ray was from a town next to me in Oklahoma. Growing up he always came to my HS to give clinics and talk to the kids. The guy was a really good player and ended his career in Japan. 2 time all star and hit .300 multiple times. Should have been ROY. >>

I was a huge Johnny Ray fan. The Pirates traded him to the Angels in 1987 to make room for Jose Lind. Even though Lind was a wizard with the glove he wasn't the hitter Ray was.
  • Options
    Just added these two card to my registry set. The Candy Man and Johnny Ray

• Options
    Just picked this up the other day. Very Low Pop on this card.

• Options
    Wow, You haven't wasted anytime getting that set up to almost 40% complete. Very Nice. When is the Mazeroski rookie card going to be added to the collection?
  • Options
    For Honus Wagner the only card that I think would fit and not cost you 2K to find is an M116. Some of his E cards also qualify but I think this is a bit more mainstream and easier to find.

I have been working on Pirates team sets for 23 years and still don't have a complete 61 set (I added other cards like the 1961 Post Wilmer Mizel to my set).

I do have completed 72 and 80 team set though. I just did the years after their WS titles.

This looks interesting and I have started the Steelers HOF RC set so might as well do this one too.

Maybe my dream of a Mike Webster registry set will come true one day as well.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Sorry about the delay in replying to your PM. You are doing a great job so far. Congrats!!

Here is what I have for the "rookie" cards of some of the guys on your list. Many of these are obscure and/or rare but they are the rookies.

Honus Wagner - First appearance is the super rare 1899 Sporting News Supplement M101-1 . He is pictured with Louisville though.
    - First Pittsburgh appearance is the 1902 Sporting Life Cabinet W600. The street clothes pic is the 1902 issue.
    Fred Clarke - First appearance also is in the 1899 Sporting News Supplement M101-1. He also is pictured with Lousiville
    - First Pittsburgh appearance also is the 1902 Sporting Life Cabinet W600 in either street or uniform versions.
    Paul Waner - 1923 Zeenut
    - As a Pirate - 1926 Sports Company of America Champions
    - Also there are 3 different versions in the 1926-29 Exhibit Postcard Backs but I'm not sure if the Waners were
    issued in 1926 or not
    Lloyd Waner - 1925 Zeenut
    - As a Pirate - 1927 York Caramel Type 2 E120
    - 1927 W560 Strip Card
    Pie Traynor - 1922 American Caramel Series of 240 E120
    - 1922 W573 Strip Card
    Arky Vaughan - 1933 Goudey is his true rookie also..
    - 1933 Worch Cigar
    Ralph Kiner - 1947 Bond Bread
    - 1947 Tip Top Bread
    - 1947 Sports Exchange Mini W602
    Bill Mazeroski - also 1957 Kahns
    Willie Stargell - also 1963 IDL
    Steve Blass - also 1965 O-Pee-Chee
    Manny Sanguillen - also 1968 KDKA
    - 1968 Team Issue Auto Card
    - 1968 Venezuelan
    Richie Hebner - also 1969 O-Pee-Chee
    - 1969 Team Issue Auto Card
    - 1969 Topps Team Poster
    Al Oliver - also 1969 O-Pee-Chee
    - 1969 Team Issue Auto Card
    Dave Parker - also 1974 Topps Stamp
    - 1974 O-Pee-Chee
    John Candelaria - First appearance is the 1975 SSPC
    Kent Tekulve - First appearance is also the 1975 SSPC

I threw in some alternate issues for some of the modern players. As for the vintage none of them , beside the 33 Goudey Vaughan , are too common but they are indeed to the best of my knowledge their "rookie cards". I have many of these rookies but can only dream of owning many others. I wish you luck in your endeavor.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Bobby, Looks like your collection is going great. Seeing the Candyman, Johnny Ray, and Omar Moreno brings back memories of my childhood. I remember getting those cards back then...Probably still have them somewhere.

Keep the scans coming.

Hope you have a blast at the National.

Brian
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the kind words. I just picked up a 1974 Dave Parker PSA 9 today. I'll post when I receive the card. I hope to buy the Maz at the National.

margoth, Thanks on the info on the Wagner. That will be my last card to get.

Killingdream, Thanks again for all the info on those cards. I might look into some of those SSPC cards. My favorite Pirate team of all time is the 79 team.

• Options
    You should definitely pick up a 75 SSPC Pirates set. They are very cheap on ebay whenever you come across one. The photos are fairly nice and there are several cards of interest in it. Besides the two rookies and the usual assortment of 75 Pirates you get the only cards picturing Willie Randolph and Art Howe as Pirates. Also there is a final card of Danny Murtaugh.
  • Options
    My dad had a Honus at one time, (I am bad at E cards, it had a blue background and he looked like he was throwing image).

I had the Oliver and Parker but sold them at a local card show recently (who would have guessed). I am looking for a Maz RC as well so good luck and hope you beat me to it.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Now that he is gone, i think you gotta considering putting a Jack Wilson card into this set.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Here's the Cobra