Home Sports Talk
Options

Joe Mauer...one of the best

2»

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    dabeef is one of the guys that argue with you even when you agree with him.

I should ask him "are you drunk'?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Nitpicking for a sample that fits their biased argument, and then ignoring all the ones that don't, is the number one M/O of sports fans when they debate.

Yeah, I have no idea with why dabeef is arguing about Mauer. I think it is pretty clear that he needs to do more to be considered an all time great.

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Hit another dinger today, in the 9th in a pinch hitting role off Papelbon.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are right, I dont think I even said he is the best ever, did I? I think he WILL be, without a doubt. Did anyone watch the espn game? The thing is that the Twins get very little air time for anyone outside Minnesota. It seems this HR trend is finally getting the kid some press he has always deserved. >>

You are either ignorant or brand new to the game to have the balls to be so sure that a guy like Mauer will one day be considered "one of the best" at his position so early in his career.

No doubt he is at the top of the heap today. Maybe not tomorrow ..... especially at his position.

Stop being so naive.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Joe is going to love the new Target field dimensions. Left center is pulled in 12 ft. It's almost like they designed the place for him.

Joe is so great he'd probably start at QB for the Vikes if he showed up for training camp.

When we have this conversation again five years from now the comparisons will be mainly with Bench. Maybe if we want to just focus on hitting we can talk some Piazza.
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    What a year this kid is having. He hit a pinch hit 2-run homerun last night. Too bad they lost.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    It is good to see him starting to hit home runs, as that was/is the only thing keeping him from being among the elite. He just needs to keep doing it. He has softball numbers right now. It would be great to see him have an all-time type season.

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is good to see him starting to hit home runs, as that was/is the only thing keeping him from being among the elite. He just needs to keep doing it. He has softball numbers right now. It would be great to see him have an all-time type season. >>

I agree that would be great. And it would come at a much needed time for most. I don't think he fits the steroid type. But it is still early and he will most likely trail off just like the Blue Jays seem to be.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    I'll be the first one to top this thread in 5 years. Sorry to say this, but I'm a great baseball mind. Some of you just cant see this I know...

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Too bad everyone and their Mother knows that this guy is good.

Exactly what info have you said that we did not know?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a clear well established fact that knowledgeable baseball historians have stated that Clay Dalrymple was the greatest catcher of all time...and it's not even debatable.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭
    There's renewed enthusiasm among Twins fans on Mauer. Such a great player that lacked home runs. You knew he had the power, but whether he was too stubborn or conservative to use it was hard to understand.

Now he peels off 11 homers in 81 at bats, and the sentiments are that he goes from very good to the best of the best elite hitters in the game. Pujols like.

I'll put the jinx on now...he's capable of batting .400 this year. The fact that he missed the 1st month of the season and will barely qualify in at bats by the end of the season puts him at a large advantage.

Will he do it? Unlikely.

Is he capable? More than anyone else in the game today
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭
    .375 batting average with 21 home runs... should be interesting race between Mauer & Ichiro for the 2009 A.L. Batting Title.

The Twins 3, 4 & 5 hitters are in the top six in Slugging Percentage in the American League...Mauer is #1, Morneau is #5 and a very good hitter, Jason Kubel is #6.... Such an underachieving team they are....

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Agreed, its a real downer that they cant get it all together. I really thought they had solid pitchers, and we do, just young. I keep thinking give em time, but dang... Not even .500. Gardy is too well liked, I dont see him going, and I dont think he is the problem. The guys we have that are hitting .170-.220 ARE though...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Brian McCann Stats update...

434 at bats
    .281 avg
    18 hr's
    79 rbi's
    .344 on base %

Baby Jesus Stats...

462 at bats
    .374 avg
    27 hr's
    87 rbi's
    .441 on base % (WHAT!)

Great year for Mauer, can he get to .400?
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Great year for Mauer, can he get to .400? >>

Well, with 16 games left this season... if he averages 4 at bats per game, he'll need to go on a 39 for 64 terror. That's a .609 avg for the rest of the season. he's batting .408 for the month so far. KC and Detroit are who he'll be chomping on for the rest of the season. While he totally owns both teams with his bat (.349 vs Detroit, .477 vs KC), they'll need to bring an epic ammount of "suck" in order for Mauer to turn .349 and .477 into .609.

He might just have to settle for being the batting champ and serious consideration for AL MVP.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    While there is little chance he will ht .400, getting the MVP would be a no brainer IF they somehow took the division. But, if they don't, does he still get MVP?
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are way, way off. Don't you know that Albert Pujols is the greatest catcher of all time, even though he has never played the position. Come on! This is so obvious!

Shane

• Options

<< <i>You guys are way, way off. Don't you know that Albert Pujols is the greatest catcher of all time, even though he has never played the position. Come on! This is so obvious! >>

Did you know that if you flick Albert Pujols' ear 3 times, his mask detatches and reveals... Chuck Norris!

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You guys are way, way off. Don't you know that Albert Pujols is the greatest catcher of all time, even though he has never played the position. Come on! This is so obvious! >>

Did you know that if you flick Albert Pujols' ear 3 times, his mask detatches and reveals... Chuck Norris! >>

By the way - I might as well chime in. Joe Mauer is a tremendous talent and probably the best offensive catcher in many years.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>While there is little chance he will ht .400, getting the MVP would be a no brainer IF they somehow took the division. But, if they don't, does he still get MVP? >>

Well, last year A-Pu won the NL MVP, and his team finished in 4th place in its division.

In a classic case, Andre Dawson won the 1987 NL MVP award while his Cubs finished in last place.

It's rare, but it's not impossible.