Home Sports Talk

Joe Mauer...one of the best

artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
catchers ever? I think if he can play a long and healthy career he will be. That guy can just flat out hit.

mathew
baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
NHL hall of fame rookies

Comments

• Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Could be, but I think he's got a long way to go before being included among the best ever.
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Certainly one of the most well rounded catchers there's been in awhile. He's a Batting Champ, Silver Slugger, and a Gold Glover.
  • He's Baby Jesus...THE best...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• If he and Morneau stay in Minnesota, Morneau will move to third and Mauer will be a first baseman in 2 years.
  • Why make 2 players learn a new position? Just put Joe at third, done... Its not like Justin cant play 1st...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    He is certainly the best catcher in the A.L. It is far from certain, though, that he is even the best catcher in MLB.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He is certainly the best catcher in the A.L. It is far from certain, though, that he is even the best catcher in MLB. >>

Agreed, and lets not even begin talking about the best ever at this point.
  • he is a good hitter, however i think his durability will come in to question over the next few seasons. he's missed, 20, 30, 50 games per season due to injury. and he doesnt have a lot of pop. his career high in HR is maybe 15? Dont see him ever hitting 20-30 homers.
  • This has to be tough for fans of teams OTHER than Minnesota. The Twins rarely get airtime, Mauer would be the most popular man in baseball if he was in Boston, NY, etc... The kid is the real deal...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• folks know who Joe Mauer is. He is an excellent hitter, but inevitably the wear and tear will affect his game, like I stated previously he has already missed considerable time in his short career due to a variety of maladies.
  • Thats what happens when you dont do Roids. image

My point is, put Joe Mauer on YOUR baseball team and imagine this. He grew up in YOUR favorite teams back yard. The guy was the best baseball player and football player in the entire state in his school days. Now he is a 2 time batting champ, on your team. The guy NEVER will be in the headlines for ANYTHING but good things. We are fortunate to have this guy here, he is a very rare player in todays world (baseball).

The injuries are bad so far yes, but I think he will be moved from catcher within 3 years. They have a kid in AAA Morales that filled in VERY well for Joe Mauer this first month, he showed he should be given a shot in the Majors soon. That, or they need to trade Morales for some middle relief pitching, we are hurting bad right now.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Wow...it may be a long time before we refer to him as one of the greatest...but...he is having a GREAT start to the season with another HR and 6 RBIs in todays game and still hitting over .400

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies

• << <i>Wow...it may be a long time before we refer to him as one of the greatest...but...he is having a GREAT start to the season with another HR and 6 RBIs in todays game and still hitting over .400

mathew >>

still? Hasnt he been playing for less than 3-4 weeks?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Grote was the best catcher ever......

.....and Grote15 PayPaled me $2 to post this.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe Mauer is one hell of a catcher. Perhaps the BEST today.
    Slow down on the all time stuff. Let him play his career out before jumping the gun.
    Spare us the hometown boy who did good tears. There are thankfully more then a handful of this type of players in the bigs.
    One would not think so since all of the attention go to the ones who have tarnished the game.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    22 points for my fantasy team, picked up the slack for Grienke today!

JS
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    He's batting .417 with 8 Homers & 24 RBIs in just 19 games this year.

Ichiro, Pujols & Mauer -- the best hitters in today's game. He's got a career .320 batting average with two titles and if he gets enough at bats - he'll win his third title this year -- mark it down...

Him & Morneau pay the price to admission...If you're flipping through the channels..they're both worth stopping to watch...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Joe "Baby Jesus" Mauer

2008 536 AB 9 HR

2009 77 AB 9 HR

He is hitting .429 right now, and has had 97 plate appearances, a .516 On base percentage, LOL that is sick...

His hitting streak did end last night, he had 3 walks though. The Twins were up 11-3 and he took a WALK in his last AB in the 8th, the guy couldn't have cared less about the streak. Today he is 3-3 with a walk by the way...

Some rookie pitcher for the Twins pitched 7 scoreless today too, wow...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Matt

Like mentioned too early to say, but he is the best in the bigs right now.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>He is certainly the best catcher in the A.L. It is far from certain, though, that he is even the best catcher in MLB. >>

So who are you saying is better so we can compare stats?

Am I speaking Chinese?

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Grote was the best catcher ever......

.....and Grote15 PayPaled me $2 to post this.

Rings:

Grote 1

Mauer 0

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • I don't get the funnay but go on with yourself... image

So it is Joe Mauer's fault that the Minnesota Twins have not won a world series lately?
    Am I speaking Chinese?

I don't get the funnay but go on with yourself...

So it is Joe Mauer's fault that the Minnesota Twins have not won a world series lately?

Lighten up, Shirley...I was being facetious...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    John Stearns was no slouch either...image

• Never heard of him...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

He is the best hitting C in the bigs.

As far as defense I can't answer to that.

Every team would take him though in a heart beat.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Are you drunk right now???
    Am I speaking Chinese?

No, why do you ask?

I could not answer to his defense because I don't know.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I'm a big fan of Mauer, and here is some perspective on his status...

Mauer's best three OPS+ seasons are...

Piazza's best three OPS+ seasons are...

Plus four others higher than Mauer's best of 144.

Mauer is much better than Piazza defensively, but that is not nearly enough to overcome that hitting gap.

Mauer is going to need a string of seasons where his OPS+ is over 150 to overtake Piazza. This year it is astronomically high, and maybe he is entering his peak...but four weeks isn't an accurate enough barometer to say that. The eight HR's are a good sign though.

His high avg/Ob% are very nice...but he needs more than 9 HR a year like he has in the past few seasons, in order to reach that all-time rarified air.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mauer isn't juiced, right?
    Skip instead of comparing him to Piazza how about comparing him to his peers?

How does he stack up there?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Hoop,
    any chance we can get a decent McCann V Mauer breakdown?

I would venture to guess they are the best young catchers in baseball.

imagey
  • His first at bat tonight was without a doubt his longest homerun since being in the majors, an upper deck jobber. Ive never seen a ballplayer as hot as he is now...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• .OPS is a meaningless stat. Just because the guy hasnt been, up until now, hitting home runs he is below Piazza. Yee-haw...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Brian McCann Joe Mauer

game 499 ..... 582
    AB 1720 ..... 2138
    Runs 211 ..... 347
    Hits 510 ..... 688
    doubels 126 ..... 133
    triples 1 ..... 14
    Home runs 73 ..... 54
    rbi 308 ..... 329
    Avg .297 ..... .322
    OB%.359 ..... .405
    slg%.498 ..... .473
    ops.858 ..... .876

He is pretty good though...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

OPS, FYI is only partly enhanced by virtue of the homerun. Walks, Singles, doubles and triples are also
    used in OPS.

By the stats you yourself have presented McCann looks pretty close to Mauer.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • He is behind in EVERY stat except Hr's and Slugging %, and that may be short lived. If you call that "close" then so be it lol...

Oops Mauer is 2-2 so far today...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

Sounds like someone has a man crush on Mauer, LOL..

• << <i>He is behind in EVERY stat except Hr's and Slugging %, and that may be short lived. If you call that "close" then so be it lol...

Oops Mauer is 2-2 so far today... >>

so OPS doesnt matter, but yet you took the time to list slg% AND OBP% AND the "meaningless OPS. So what is it, OPS is meaningless? Or only its components are important but not the sum of its parts?

and yes he is ahead in most categories, but the only one that shows any difference apart from the number of less games Mccann has played is 3bs. But Mccann's one 3 bagger was so funny when it happened that it should be counted multiple times( obvious joke for those following at home).

In about 90 less games, mccann has a lot less runs, but that is a product of their spot in the batting order and those behind them. Just liek Mccann has more RBI per 162 because he hits later in the order than Mauer.

Mccann hits more doubles and more homeruns, the power that Mccann has over mauer is fairly evened out by mauer having more singles and a higher OBP.

IMO these two are very evenly matched.

imagey
    Sounds like someone has a man crush on Mauer, LOL..

Yup.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>.OPS is a meaningless stat. Just because the guy hasnt been, up until now, hitting home runs he is below Piazza. Yee-haw... >>

And there is another quote that joins the list of retarded baseball speak.

I don't know if it is worth the try but,

OPS+ is a pretty accurate measure of a players offensive value. Batter Runs is more accurate. Yes, this just in, hitting home runs is an important part of a players value. I know you understand that, otherwise you wouldn't be touting his current home run binge. But please don't tout it on one side of your mouth, and then discount it on the other side of your mouth when it doesn't fit your agenda in the case of Piazza. It makes you look ignorant.

Then you go ahead and list a comparison of McCann and Mauer using a bunch of figures(most of which are comprised in OPS), and leave your only evidence in the Piazza comparison as "Ops is meaningless." Einstein, if you feel it is meaningless, then why did you ignore the following Piazza numbers...the same categories you used to show McCann as inferior.

Piazza's batting averages of .362, .346, .336
    Piazza's RBI of 124, 124, 113, 112

And then compare them to Mauer's best RBI of 85, 84, or best averages of .347, and .328.

Mauer does not compare to Piazza YET. He needs some full seasons of OPS+ in the 150+ range, then you can talk all-time stuff. But please don't make stupid comments like OPS is meaningless, just so you can pump yourself up(in more ways than one).

Mauer and Mccan have played similar amount of at bats, so a career rating in a percentage stat is a fairly easy and accurate way to see where they are at.

Mauer OPS+ 133
    McCann OPS+ 121

Since Mauer has also done it over more at bats, Mauer is certainly the superior of the two. I also believe Mauer has much more of a ceiling than McCann, and perhaps he is beginning to touch it this season, and then look out.

But please, no looking at only partial evidence, or use of bias...because that type of analysis willl be picked apart quite easily.
  • lol, ok..So if I dont list .OPS It gets cried about, and if I list it, the same happens. Piazza was another juicer anyways...

Of course I have a man crush on Joe Mauer, if Baby Jesus played for your team so would you!

Am I speaking Chinese?

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But please, no looking at only partial evidence, or use of bias...because that type of analysis willl be picked apart quite easily. >>

• DaBeef, it is ironic that you used a neanderthal type analysis, because since Mauer's main strength is OB%, the typical neanderthal baseball fan probably doesn't even recognize him as very much, becuase they don't recognzie OB% and only know what RBI are.

DaBeef, some players need those typical sport tactics in debates to make them look better than they are...Mauer isn't one of them.

DaBeef, it was your comment that OPS was meaningless, and Mauer 'only' lacking in HR that made your comment a waste. You can't use HR as a positive at one point, and then just dismiss them when it doesn't suit your comparison. This is where my rant came from.

Winpitcher, I used Piazza because he is the all-time great that played in a same/similar era closest to Mauer.

The current rest of the catchers are basically a suck fest, save Posada and a few others.

Piazza probably was a juicer.

• You sound like a lawyer... So tell me what STAT I can use from Joe Mauers career #'s to show that he is the best in baseball lol, you obviously think you are the one that decides what stat matters... image
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Go to MLB.com

sort active career leaders by OPS. These stats will not be adjusted but you will see your boy as the highest listed catcher, right at #90.

imagey
  • The validity of the stats are what decides which matter.

DaBeef, maybe you just got off of the short bus, but where am I saying that Mauer is not the best in baseball right now?

The comparison I made to Piazza stem from the statements that Mauer was an all-time great. He has not done enough yet to be mentioned at that level. Only a bias fool can come up with something to say otherwise...and you did with that "OPS is meaningless and only lacking HR statement." Pure foolishness.

Mauer is the best now. He is not among the all time greats YET. Do you comprehend yet???

I will say that your idol is going to end up passing Piazza if he remains at catcher. The boy can hit, and I have been touting him since the beginning, fighting off neanderthals who had Ichiro crushes and didn't recognize what OB% was.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if anyone is interested in reading this book?

"How to Lie with Statistics" is a book written by Darrell Huff in 1954 presenting an introduction to statistics for the general reader. It is a brief, breezy, illustrated volume outlining common errors, both intentional and unintentional, associated with the interpretation of statistics, and how these errors can lead to inaccurate conclusions. It has become one of the most widely read statistics books in history (even though Huff was not a statistician), with over one and a half million copies sold in the English-language edition[1]. It has also been widely translated.

Themes of the book include "Correlation does not imply causation" and "Using Random Sampling". It also shows how statistical graphs can be used to distort reality, for example by truncating the bottom of a line or bar chart, so that differences seem larger than they are, or by representing one-dimensional quantities on a pictogram by two- or three-dimensional objects to compare their sizes, so that the reader forgets that the images don't scale the same way the quantities do.

The original edition contained humorous illustrations by artist Irving Geis.

• You are right, I dont think I even said he is the best ever, did I? I think he WILL be, without a doubt. Did anyone watch the espn game? The thing is that the Twins get very little air time for anyone outside Minnesota. It seems this HR trend is finally getting the kid some press he has always deserved.

Am I speaking Chinese?

Check back and check with us in 4-5 years if he's still a catcher at that time and maintaining these kind of numbers throughout that time and then maybe we can start comparing Mauer to Piazza..